Nextel and Sprint Merge

fatalist

Sprint, Nextel in $35B merger

Wireless company will have about 35 million customers, making it No. 3 in the country.

December 15, 2004: 8:39 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Sprint and Nextel announced plans for a $35 billion merger Wednesday, creating a new major wireless phone power with a customer base to challenge its two larger rivals.

The companies called the deal a merger of equals, saying shareholders will each own about 50 percent of the new company, which will be called Sprint Nextel. Existing Sprint (Research) shares will remain outstanding and each Nextel (Research) common share will be converted into about 1.28 shares in the new company, as well as 50 cents cash.

Using those exchange ratios, the deal represents no premium for Sprint shareholders, who will retain the shares they hold, and about a 9 percent premium for Nextel shareholders, based on Tuesday's closing prices. Shares of Nextel gained 50 cents to $30.49 in pre-market trading on INET Wednesday, while Sprint edged up 5 cents to $25.15 on INET.

Compare Mortgage Offers

Get up to 4 free mortgage/refinance quotes or home equity loan offers now from 1...

www2.nextag.com

LendingTree.com - Official Site

Lendingtree - Find a mortgage, refinance, home equity or auto loan now. Receive...

http://www.lendingtree.com

$150,000 Mortgage for $625/mo

Get up to four free quotes - no obligation. Pay less on your loan now.

http://www.lowermybills.com

Find an Online Degree

Bachelor, Master, Postgrad degrees or Certificates online from accredited...

http://www.classesusa.com

"It's a great deal for Sprint. They didn't pay much of a premium for Nextel. I'm not sure how they pulled that off," said Greg Gorbatenko, telecom analyst for Marquis Investment Research.

But Gorbatenko said the two companies are not the best of fits with each other, with very different customer bases and business models.

"Going forward, we believe that Sprint will have its hands full. The merger is not a puzzle piece fit," he said. "Nextel users may feel a little jilted since the cult-like following is now mass market, losing the push-to-talk (walkie talkie) focus. We will have to be compelled by the new strategy and integration to maintain our current "buy" rating on the Sprint stock."

The companies did not give a value of the deal, but using the expected exchange ratio and the Nextel shares outstanding puts the cost to Sprint at about $35 billion. The companies say the value of the combined company is expected to be $70 billion.

The companies also say that Sprint's local phone operations will be spun off to shareholders of the new company in a tax-free transaction.

Sprint was already the third largest wireless phone company before the deal, but it was a distant third with only about 20.1 million customers, compared to more than 40 million for each of the two largest providers, Verizon Wireless and Cingular.

Nextel, with 15.3 million customers, was fifth behind T-Mobile. Sprint and Nextel say they have another 5 million additional subscribers through affiliates and partners, giving the combined company close to 40 million customers.

The companies say their customers are worth more than competitors' subscribers, with the highest average revenue per user. That is greatly due to Nextel, which has been a pioneer in the walkie-talkie service on cell phones. Gorbatenko said Sprint's revenue per customer is about $61 a month, just above the industry average, while Nextel's average revenue comes to about $71 a month.

Sprint Chairman and CEO Gary Forsee will be president and CEO of the combined company. Nextel CEO and President Timothy Donahue will be chairman of Sprint Nextel. The company's 12-member board will have six from each company.

The deal is expected to close in the second half of next year. It is expected to produce operating cost and capital investment savings with a current value of $12 billion, according to the companies.

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS

Sprint

Nextel

Wireless Telephones

Mergers and Acquisitions

or

Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

Those savings include reducing the number of cell sites and switches, reduced combined sales and marketing costs as well as administrative expense. It did not give any estimate for reduction in staff.

This is the second major, and second largest, deal in the wireless phone sector this year. In August, Cingular Wireless, a joint venture of SBC (Research) and BellSouth (Research), completed its $41 billion acquisition of AT&T Wireless, a deal that made it the largest wireless provider with 46 million customers.

No. 2 Verizon Wireless, a joint venture between Verizon Communications (Research) and Vodafone Group (Research), has about 42 million customers. There were reports Tuesday that Verizon was weighing its own bid for Sprint, but Vodafone came out with a statement saying it would not be involved in such an offer.

The Wall Street Journal reported early Wednesday that the deal between Sprint and Nextel would include a $1 billion break-up fee to be paid by any other suitor who stops the deal from taking place.

.......that's pretty shitty when 2 companys that have been around forever merge, and are still only NUMBER 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah these companies are shady, somehow for 2 months in a row I went over my minutes and had a $300 phone bill. I fucking use my phone just the same every month before that and after that and never got it in the past or since then.

Somewhere I read that people could like get viruses into your phone from downloading shit to them and leach off your service.

Originally posted by GucciCondom@Dec 16 2004, 03:27 AM

Yeah these companies are shady, somehow for 2 months in a row I went over my minutes and had a $300 phone bill. I fucking use my phone just the same every month before that and after that and never got it in the past or since then.

Somewhere I read that people could like get viruses into your phone from downloading shit to them and leach off your service.

WORD...THAT'S SHIT IS EERIE

I don't know, I'm from around Philly and I know atleast 15 people that have a Nextel and atleast 3 out of 5 times I try to call them I get the dreaded message.

Maybe PA doesn't have enough towers or something?

What pisses me off is that everyone complains about their Nextel but people continue to get them just to be cool.

Originally posted by Glik0@Dec 15 2004, 09:36 PM

I heard that if youre a current Nextel subscriber that you now need to purchase a new phone after this.

Is this fucking correct?

If so, Im flipping shit thanks to just purchasing a $300+ phone.

thats completely fucked if thats the case.

I just wanna know when I can get walkie talkie service on my sprint phone.

I'm not gonna hold my breath though...I'm gonna go on ahead and get a new phone in the next couple of weeks.

the iDen technology that Nextel uses will only be available for corporate users.

and sprint's walkie talkie will be used for consumer needs.

AKA

FUCKING JIPPED.

Thankfully none of this will fully happen for another year, which means my contract will be up by then and Verizon here I come!

i have Sprint for my work and personnal phone.I had Nextel for my work phone before they switched to Sprint..

Nextel's walkie-talkie was awesome and worked great if you got a signal.But it was a bitch to get a signal so my worked switch to sprint.Sprints service was much better but the walkie-talkie feature they have sucks dick.Hopefully they will take the best from both and make them one..It would be the perfect service..