Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

New York v. San Fran

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Get Stoopid!, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Get Stoopid!

Get Stoopid! New Jack

well well well after living here in ny for a bit I'm throughly not hyped about the graff, the style, the scene, etc. . . and don't think I haven't been going out of my way to see shit, cos I have.
    San Francisco's so yummy and delicious and filled with good writers, I feel like it's neck and neck w/ New York for graf noteriety, even if there isn't as much graffiti there. (I'm assuming all this cos I never gotten to go out west, but you hear about the san francisco scene constantly and flicks are flowing and abundant.)
    When I was younger, I was all "I'm going to New York to see the graffiti," and now I wanna go to cali and seeie theie graffitieie. . .
    So who's seen it all? Who prefers what?

2. hbg

hbg New Jack

i definitely think that nyc is better i ve been there many times and have seen alot. . the bombing scene is definitely better than anywhere else.
    all the greats are from new york. dondi, iz the wiz, seen, pjay, cope 2, korn, cost, espo, revs, skeme just to name a few
    gotta repect all the old school , espicially because this is where trains all started. i dont think the graff scene in sf is nearly as good as new york. not saying the graff scene isnt good in sf but i just think new york is legendary .
    thats my opinion though

3. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Guest

yeah its nice and all that new york is "legendary" and all and i know we all gotta give "props" or "daps" or respect or whatever you want to call it to the old school, but the fact is, the shit coming out of cali is truely innovative. the style is mind boggling. and the ability to do that while dangling from a bridge over traffic or on a highway sign covered in barbed wire, man, you cant compete with that. thats one thing i really like about cali shit, their choice of location. i see an ayer (RIP) piece in an insane spot and i ponder for hours, just how the fuck can a human do that? http://www.bastardartist.com i think ny has perfected old school, but la created new school.

4. garcia_vega

garcia_vega Elite Member

been around both--i say new york is still number one. san fran is cool, but really the birthplace of most of the shit goin on out there is back east. i think la has more of an original scene.

5. hbg

hbg New Jack

everywhere something new is inovating . and i know that la has alot inovations than most places. and damn i give mad props to that guy ayer . how did he die any way. but if you go to any city you will see shit where people were hanging off bridges . but its not like im not giving cali respect cuz iam , thats just my opinion that new york is better. that ayer shit is mad crazy though . i only seen some of his stuff but all that i seen is awsome.

6. hbg

hbg New Jack

you cant forget philly either thats the birth place off graff

7. *SIZEROKS*

*SIZEROKS* Veteran Member

I LOVE BOTH CITYS........

8. .,.,.,

.,.,., Guest

Hmmm.. Having walked the streets of both quite a bit, I'll go with NY. New York City is a graffiti kingdom. The streets are flooded with so much graf -- good and bad -- that it's inescapable. Dope fills, smooth pieces, beautifully drippy and clusterfucked tags all greet you practically everywhere in NYC. The scene never slows down either, writers are constantly emerging and the classic guys continue to rock. Granted, the mentality seen by LA writers is nuts, but heads like sane and ja were doing the "crazy thing" loooong ago. NY is just different. It's more about the amount of ups than it is the sickness of individual spots. That's just the scene's design.

SF on the other hand is pretty dope. If anything, it's the closest mirror of NY you'll find in the U.S.. A lot of writers even mingle between both cities (twist, amaze, setup, mq, etc..). It feels a little more like a melting pot of U.S. style than NY does. LA/Atlanta styles might be found in SF right next to a midwest-looking piece, around the corner from an NYC style fill-in. Not many other places can claim that type of diversity in such a small area. Plus there's a more profound sense of creativity in SF. Some of the writers take more time to bring art and originality into their style, which is cool shit too see.

I can't dis SF -- it's so lovely -- but nonetheless, I think the scene there can get slow at times & feel fairly small. Plus the Proposition 21 laws work really hard against big writers. In the end, I just think NY is doper.

9. tue skinny

tue skinny Elite Member

ny you dumbers. RHODE ISLAND

10. Gnes 37

Gnes 37 Veteran Member

its all about AZ new terrain very small history and a lot to accomplish compared to alot of cities

11. eliteLEIT

eliteLEIT Junior Member

12. I Luv Roo

I Luv Roo Member

I live in the Bay Area, and I look at NY like this unnattainable goal - last time I was there, I was too dumbfounded to even do anything. SF goes through phases too, while, it seems NY is consistent - but what do you think? Maybe it's the whole 'grass is greener' theory...

13. shameless self promotion

shameless self promotion 12oz Legend

14. soopafeen

soopafeen Senior Member

people are always going to ny to bomb, but no one ever goes to LA to bomb, just because its too hard. Nobody can come close to the level of LA's bombers.

15. Remy Martin

Remy Martin Guest

I would go with the theory that the west coast city on the level with NYC has to be LA, SF is a city very similar in design to NYC and out right tiny. LA however is a HUGE metro area, far bigger than the NYC metro area and has a graffiti culture going back to the fortys, not to mention its incredibally challenging place to write. In NYC I get the impression that street level fillins are the usual, while in LA you got full peices on heavens, bridges, billboards, and rooftops. Not to say that this doesnt happen in NYC, but in LA it seems to be the focus of the scene.
    However, it seems stupid to chose one over the other as a preference. When you can probably learn immesnsely from both.