NEW SHOPS IN NYC

misteraven

Looks like the BAPE shop in NYC finally opened. Haven't been there, but word is that it opened on Dec 13th with a line that went around the block. Anyhow, just passing on the info for those in NYC.

A Bathing Ape

91 Greene Street

SoHo, NYC

Likewise, another sneaker shop opened up in Wliiamsburg, Brooklyn. There's some teaser photos here: http://freshnessmag.com/content/features/files/1204/n7/

N SEVEN

218 North 7th ST

Brooklyn, NY

If anyone makes it out to either store and has a camera, post flicks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by rick flair@Dec 17 2004, 02:34 PM

didn't check the prices on the t's but the sweat shirts were $280.... and they were very thin sweat shirt fabrics...

the all over pattern prints are fresh... but again i've seen every other company doing them with out using their logo as the repeat print...

I don't think they have any tees right ow, but usually bape tees go for between $80-$90

the N7 store is pretty tight.

They have lots of harder to find kicks, and I gotta say for a re-seller the prices aren't as high as what i expected them to be. For example Cali Dunks were $250, and yes that's high.. but Isa and Clientle were asking $300-$350 for them when they had some.

As far as clothing goes they had a good stock of denim, but i didn't dig through it too deep, I noticed some Chip and Pepper jeans, but i'm pretty sure they have more than that. As far as Tees, all I noticed were Aquired and Mishka tees.

i swung by the new bape store today... i thought it was a really great looking shop. really crisp and well designed, with some nice touches. i've never been to the ones in japan, but judging from the flicks of them in wonderwall, it's probably not quite up to par with them, but close. certainly far nicer than the london shop. downstairs is all clothing and upstairs is the footsoldier shop. tons of employees, and all of them very friendly and helpful. store wasn't packed with product, but there was more stuff than i'd been expecting. prices were typical for bape - $86 tees, $180 - $240 for hoodies/sweatshirts, $200 - $280 for denim, and $180 for bapesta's (they did actually have a few large sizes including US12). most the hoodies and shirts stocked we're nyc exclusives (not a lot of color choices though). presentaion is top notch... glass cases, conveyer belt window display for shoes, security is crisp black suit by the door, etc. didn't seem like a sopt you could take photos at, but other than that it didn't have the pretentious, cooler-than-you feel i'd been imagining after reading what others had been saying. seems like soho is heating up with bape, kid robot, apple, adidas, stussy, agnes b, union, supreme, stackhouse, triple 5 soul, clientele all within a couple /stores, streets from each other.

Originally posted by The Hipster@Dec 18 2004, 05:07 PM

sounds fresh and alot better then the london one!

i've been to the london shop and the nyc one is far nicer. at least 4 times as big considering it's also two stories. the london shop is nice, but just seems like the average boutique. the shop in nyc is a lot closer to being that 'bape' experience.

Originally posted by The Hipster@Dec 18 2004, 06:14 PM

also works out a bit cheaper as well. if the bape sta are $180 thats like £92 where in englad there £120

enjoy it while you can, cause the dollar has got to bounce back eventually. usually it's the other way around and we can get almost two pounds for every dollar.

Originally posted by Cobraz@Dec 19 2004, 03:48 AM

MisteRaven how would you rate the bape jeans..you seem to know your stuff when it comes down to it for jeans..thanks

ringring is far more qualified in discusing the quality of their denim, but in a nutshell... you're paying a premium for the 'bape' label same as the t-shirts. both are above the average out there, but at bape's pricepoints, you've got a lot of options. sometimes, it's worth paying for a name, sometimes it isn't.

i'm sure ringring can break down the specifics, as well as provide alternates in that price range that are far more quality focused.

Originally posted by jo king@Dec 21 2004, 04:48 AM

where is the London Bapa store????

if you make it that far, be sure to not overlook hideout a couple doors down. it's real incognito, especially when searching for bape. there's also several more shops worth checking out in the immediate area, including a cool toy store and few sneaker spots.

Originally posted by Misteraven+Dec 21 2004, 09:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Misteraven - Dec 21 2004, 09:03 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jo king@Dec 21 2004, 04:48 AM

where is the London Bapa store????

if you make it that far, be sure to not overlook hideout a couple doors down. it's real incognito, especially when searching for bape. there's also several more shops worth checking out in the immediate area, including a cool toy store and few sneaker spots.

[/b]

i found where it is

Originally posted by Misteraven+Dec 21 2004, 09:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Misteraven - Dec 21 2004, 09:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Cobraz@Dec 19 2004, 03:48 AM

MisteRaven how would you rate the bape jeans..you seem to know your stuff when it comes down to it for jeans..thanks

ringring is far more qualified in discusing the quality of their denim, but in a nutshell... you're paying a premium for the 'bape' label same as the t-shirts. both are above the average out there, but at bape's pricepoints, you've got a lot of options. sometimes, it's worth paying for a name, sometimes it isn't.

i'm sure ringring can break down the specifics, as well as provide alternates in that price range that are far more quality focused.

[/b]

Thanks MrRaven, that's mighty flattering coming from you.

I've not really much to add to your reply. You've nailed it. Basically buy Bape Jeans if you are a Bape fan, buy something else if you're a denim fan.

For that 'Urban Jeans' niche, maybe take a look at MHI (good quality selvage, nice details. Heavyweight, loose cut), Fibreops (Japanese cool + some funky washes), Evisu (I'd only touch the old skool raw, selvedge with the white printed gulls) or Silas (indie/slacker look, reasonable ringspun denim and cheap in this company).

Other than that, if it's quality denim you want, then there's loads of choice out there. For cheap and good start at Lee and Gap and move up to APC, Levis Vintage, DDC Labs and big bucks 45rpm....etc

• 3 weeks later...

pfarrell_williams_nigo_180x.jpg

Kanye, Pharrell, Mos Def Celebrate A Designer With Sole

01.12.2005 2:59 PM EST

Hip-hop A-listers turn out for opening of A Bathing Ape store.

Designer Nigo and Pharrell Williams at the opening of A Bathing Ape in New York on Monday.

Photo: Paul Hawthorne/Getty Images

NEW YORK — It would seem a lot of people on hip-hop's A-list have a shoe fetish.

Pharrell Williams, Kanye West, Mos Def, the Roots' ?uestlove, Common, Faith Evans, Clipse's Pusha T, Spike Lee and a host of other tastemakers and

fashionistas braved the cold and rain Monday night to celebrate the opening of A Bathing Ape in New York's Soho neighborhood.

Launched by Japanese designer Nigo in 1993, A Bathing Ape is known for its one-of-a-kind footwear — brightly colored patent leather sneakers that resemble Nike Air Force Ones. The brand also sells a host of other products, including T-shirts, outerwear and home goods. Nigo teamed with Pharrell last year to launch the super producer's own fashion lines, Ice Cream sneakers and Billionaire Boys Club clothing (see "Want To Dress Like A N.E.R.D.? Pharrell Signs Fashion Deal").

"I'm just very thankful to be in business with a guy like this," said Pharrell, who hosted the event. "Without him, my BBC dreams and my Ice Cream dreams — none of those dreams would have ever happened. I told him my ideas and he made those things happen much in the same way he did with his own clothing line, and that's why I'm here to totally support it. It's his thing — it's A Bathing Ape."

Guests were treated to the sounds of ?uestlove on the turntables as they checked out shoes in a variety of colors and patterns — all featuring the signature BAPE sneaker star — against the store's stark white background.

Mos Def said he's been a fan of the line for years. "I like the attention to detail they pay to their product, and their enthusiasm. I also like their cleverness and wittiness. I appreciate them as a design brand — not just what they do with fashion, but with a lot of different products including home goods and underwear.

"It's in the same tradition of Dapper Dan," he added, referring to the clothier to old-school rappers like Slick Rick and Dana Dane. "It's just revising something that is dominant in the culture and putting your own spin on it. It's very much in the spirit of what hip-hop is as a culture, so it definitely strikes a chord with us."

For Common, who said he didn't currently own a pair BAPE sneakers, the line is all about that next level of fashion.

"It's just real progressive and, in a way, it's that cutting edge, hip stuff," he gushed. "It's also a movement. I haven't been over to see all the stuff they have in Japan, but from what I have been told, Nigo and A Bathing Ape has a lot of different things that are good items to have — stores and everything. Also, what Pharrell is doing with Ice Cream, I've got to support that because he's always coming with something fresh, whether it's music, style or whatever. I'm going to get some free ones and I'm going to support."

— Rashaun Hall

• 2 weeks later...

Better late then never...

http://www.fashionwiredaily.com/headlines.weml

Pharrell Williams Finds the Unseen, Bathing Ape and the Design of Discovery

Ford Wright

January 12, 2004 - NEW YORK - Tuesday night in downtown New York, hip-hop phenom Pharrell Williams hosted a party for the elusive Japanese designer Nigo, creator of Bathing Ape's limited run line of street gear. Limited run makers like Nigo champion uniqueness as a paramount design element.

Pharrell Williams made as expansive gesture as he could in the jam-packed interior of the store.

"Everybody don't make the same things, some people make incredible things," Pharrell said proudly. "It's quality. Look at it."

Williams is one to fight for quality. He, on behalf of his footwear line BBC (Billionaire Boys Club), is currently suing Reebok for $4 million, claiming that Reebok breached its contract and failed to meet BBC quality standards.

Rows of baggy jackets line the walls at Bathing Ape, full of mixed sport and urban references. Every connection of fabric to fabric in the clothing appears to be built to survive a tug of war. One shiny brown leather jacket is stitched with a pattern that sometimes reads as repeating stars and sometimes seems like connected lightning strikes. It, like much of Nigo's patterns, might be described as hieroglyphic.

Semi-disguised messages grace his take on traditional army camouflage as well. Does the textile jump out at you and blaze in your mind as so many patterned elements feel they must? Joyfully no. A Japanese sense of analysis and meticulousness has intervened upon a normally rushed process. The structure is as solid as hiking gear.

Who has crafted these everyday cuts so iron tight? Written on the inside nape is a "label" that reads "Peel Slowly and See." One must engage in a minor treasure hunt to locate a button sized Bathing Ape logo on the cuff of the sleeve. In much of the line, details like this grace the pockets and structural interiors. Is this some sort of secret code?

"It's a joke," Nigo explained through an interpreter and appears to shrug the question off a bit. It is overkill to call Nigo shy. He is forthright enough. But in the age of "look-at-me, look-at-me" and the Hollywood tap dance that goes along with lifestyle brands and celebrity-manufacturer crossovers, any reserve of silence reads as something almost loud. Nigo knows his business and likes his mystery.

Futura is a designer who also enjoys limited runs in Japan, where limited edition lines are followed and sought out obsessively.

"I have a line: Futura Laboratories. It's a full line, for women's, men's, accessories. We hit all the seasons. I have a small shop in Kobe. Its not like Tokyo, not a super huge market but it is where I have built my base in Japan and I'm happy to say it's still growing," explained Futura of the limited run landscape. "That's why they [bathing Ape] can command such prices on a secondary market like eBay and other places on the web. People are finding out about it and seeking it out. What I've done with these guys, Nigo, it's really helped my popularity."

Jacob the Jeweler mingled among the hip-hop cross section, sipping champagne. All the stars of hip-hop seem to turn to him for booty. Pharrell Williams had a pirate's loot of gems flashing.

"This is Jacob. This is Jacob," Williams pointed to a pair of diamond boulders on each ear. "This is Lorraine Schwartz. This is Lorraine Schwartz," he said as he flashed a diamond and sapphire set of rings. "Oh yeah, this is Jacob," he added and pulled up his shirt to reveal a big "Nerds" belt buckle with "Nerds" spelled out with studded diamonds.