Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

New Money???

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Harpo Marx, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Harpo Marx

Harpo Marx Senior Member

Goodbye to the greenback?

Before too long, you could have a rainbow in your wallet.
    March 21, 2002: 3:57 PM EST
    By Annelena Lobb, CNN/Money Staff Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Imagine opening your wallet and seeing a rainbow of dollar bills: a pale yellow $20, a baby blue $50, or maybe even a lavender Benjamin.

The idea isn't that farfetched. The U.S. Treasury Department recently testified before Congress about the need to change U.S. currency to keep ahead of growing counterfeit operations. And one security feature that may be added to the bills is what the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) terms "a subtle background color".

So is that it for the greenback? Ink used to print on the front of the bills would still be black, and ink on the back would stay green. But, said Jim Hagedorn, a spokesperson for the BEP, "each redesigned denomination would have a different background color. It wouldn't look its traditional green."

The changes could take effect as soon as 2003, said Hagedorn.

Monopoly money?
    The addition of background color and other security features would make it harder to counterfeit bills, said Hagedorn, a problem that has grown in recent years, with the advent of inkjet printers and modern photographic technology. (Commonly faked bills are usually in large denominations -- as a result, the Treasury Department has no plans to redesign the $1 bill).

Of the 47.5 million counterfeit bills circulated in the U.S. last year, 39 percent are what the U.S. Secret Service calls "P-notes", or computer and inkjet-printed notes, as compared to 1995, when less than 1 percent of counterfeit notes came from a computer.

"Before this technology emerged, you had to be a skilled printer to make counterfeit bills," said Jim Mackin, a spokesperson for the U.S. Secret Service. "Now, it's easier."

Color and additional changes are the latest attempts by the Treasury to thwart counterfeiting. Bills were changed in 1996 to include larger, off-center portraits of the presidents and a watermark visible when bills are held up to the light. Those bills were known as the "NCD" (New Currency Design) notes; the newer bills are known as the "NexGen" (Next Generation) notes.

"The 1996 changes were very successful in allowing the public to be the first line of defense against counterfeiting," said Mackin. "That allowed anyone standing in line at the grocery store to determine whether they had a real bill in their hands. We want to encourage people to take a second and authenticate their money."

Would changing the color of money make us all able to sniff out fakes? That remains to be seen. But while the Treasury Department has remained tight-lipped on exactly when the NexGen bills will hit the streets, they seem to be moving ahead on the issue.

"The Treasury, the Fed, and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing are all preparing for changes," Hagedorn said. "We're getting to the point where the currency will have to be redesigned."

2. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

Wow. I never new the presidents were gay.

3. ceasroni

ceasroni Member

ya thats fucked up they better not change it:mad:

4. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

we got a new five dollar bill here just this week, its all wierd, theres holograms, braille, and a whole wack of new shit on it. i like them just because they have kids playing hockey on the back. yay for new money.

5. Pilau Hands

Pilau Hands Dirty Dozen Crew

hell yes.
    i'm all about color.
    bring on the pink Andy Jackson.

6. Jewish Task Force

Jewish Task Force Senior Member

http://www.direct-fx.com/currencies/images/euroset1.jpg'>
    [img]http://www.direct-fx.com/currencies/images/euroset2.jpg'>

7. C-O-K PBScru

C-O-K PBScru Member

i catch a few fill ins on dollars some are real fresh

8. Pilau Hands

Pilau Hands Dirty Dozen Crew

prettyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

9. platapie

platapie Guest

its liek canadian $

10. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

http://www.netgoth.org.uk/people/1620.jpg'>
    "i want to live on a cloud where all i eat is meatloaf and take pictures of my self naked while i eat."

11. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

yeah,i think it would be cool....

we need to stop associating the rainbow to gay people...