New Design Coming for Paper Currency

ETHREADZNY

Color is coming, and government money makers are hoping for a warmer reception for the changes. The new $20, with its public unveiling set for the spring, is supposed to be in circulation as early as next fall.

To give the new bills color, the bureau has had to buy five printing presses, to operate in Washington and at a bureau facility in Fort Worth, Texas. To run the new presses, Ferguson said, some existing workers are getting trained, and a few new people have been hired. The Fort Worth plant is being expanded, providing room for the new presses and space for public tours, he said.

Adding color to the notes is a challenge.

``It is new, and anything that is new provides another opportunity to do well - or not,'' Ferguson said. ``There can be color variations that we wouldn't get with a single color ink, like when we use black or green. So there are additional inspection requirements.''

Green and black ink is now used on neutral-colored paper. With the makeover, color tints will be added in the neutral areas of the note. Ferguson would not say which colors will be used, but said they will vary by denomination.

Money makers want the new notes to have an American look and feel, and not be confused with, for instance, the colorful euro, the paper currency of the European Union.

``When we look at something as fundamentally revolutionary as adding color, going from a currency system that has been monochromatic certainly for all of our lives, our parents' lives, ... we want to do it in a responsible way that recognizes that tradition,'' Ferguson said. ``So that when people around the world see that first new U.S. $20, they will know it as a U.S. $20.''

Recent changes in paper money design have been driven by the desire to thwart high-tech counterfeiters. Over the years, counterfeiters have graduated from offset printing to increasingly sophisticated color copiers, computer scanners, color ink jet printers and publishing-grade software, all readily available.

Some anti-counterfeiting features included in the last redesign will be retained, the bureau said. They include watermarks that are visible when held up to a light; embedded security threads that glow a color when exposed to an ultraviolet light; and minute images, visible with a magnifying glass, known as microprinting.

DO YOU THINK IT IS WORTH IT, HOW MUCH MONEY IS THE GOVERNMENT GOING TO SPEND TO COLORIZE MONEY.. IS IT JUST ME OR SHOULD THAT MONEY BE SPENT ON OTHER THINGS?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest ctrl+alt+del

it needs to be changed.

a society needs to constantly change our currency. it shows we are moving forward as a society. blah blah blah, fuck what im saying. i dont feel like typing tonight. just look in your history books, currency needs to keep changing in a society.

whatever. fuck herman mellville.

Guest angry xbox
Originally posted by Tyler Durden

didnt they just introduce the new designs to the money a few years ago? it would seem that the government SHOULD have better things to do. i like the green color of it anyhow.

goddamnit this pisses me off

I just finished writing a song in which i state its funny that the color of money is green when that is the same color that represents greed.

FUCKERS ARE ON TO ME!!!

the USA is one of the few countries NOT to have colour currency.

I think there's only like 4 countries out there that dont have coloured cash.

Remember when the Simpsons went to Brazil and the kidnappers said

"We do have some sissy looking money" oh... classic!

and what's next....?

The Metric System ???

Archived