New Books

bobobi11

I was just given a bunch of old books. I am so psyched, I can't wait to read them all. Check it out.

Friedrich Nietzsche An Illustrated Biography - Ivo Frenzel

The Origin of the Family, Private Property, and the State - Frederick Engels

Social Justice - A collection of essays

Nietzsche The Man and His Philosophy - R.J. Hollingdale

Human Aggression - Anthony Starr

The Greek Philosophers From Thales to Aristotle - WKC Guthrie

The Problem of Knowledge - AJ Ayer

I will let you know how they are. I should be able to skim most of them tonight and have a good idea whether they are worth my time.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i just started reading some book called sick puppy... it's kinda wack. it's made for people that label themselves strictly as 'liberal,' and want to feel smart and laugh at other political thoughts... bu ti have nothin better to read. i hate science fiction

read "catch 22" and a

"confederacy of dunces". i dont read as much as i should but i have read these two books and i dont think ill ever read a better book. if u wanna increase ur wittiness read catch 22. if u wanna have a fancy vocabulary like seek, read a confederacy of dunces. theyre funny as fuck too.

peace

Guest Obsessed

i dunno if its new but my friend just bought a simpsons philosophy book i was reading some of it and its damn good, hopefully he will finish with it soon so i can get my hands on it

.....hahahahah....that shit was funny dev when you dropped that quote on my head as i was reading beyond good and evil, which i still have not gotten beyond! he is always good for a solid head fuck though...nietzsche ahhhh....sounds like a good list there...heard stephen hawking has got a new book out....im sure its great...r

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by Vanity

i just started reading some book called sick puppy... it's kinda wack. it's made for people that label themselves strictly as 'liberal,' and want to feel smart and laugh at other political thoughts... bu ti have nothin better to read. i hate science fiction

Is that Carl Hiaasen's Sick Puppy? Ok, but not his best. Native Tounge and Striptease are much better, although the latter was horribly defaced with Demi Moore's wack movie. Beer,

El Mamerro

First couple of paragraphs from the Human Agression Book

That man is an aggressive creature will hardly be disputed. With the exception of certain rodents, no other vertebrate habitually takes positive pleasure in the exercise of cruelty upon another of his own kind. We generally describe the most repulsive examples of man's cruelty as brutal or bestial, implying by these adjectives that such behavior is characteristic of less highly developed animals than ourselves. In truth, however, the extremes of 'brutal' behaviour are confined to man; and there is no parallel in nature to our savage treatment of each other. The sombre fact is that we are the cruellest and most ruthless species that has ever walked the earth; and that, although we may recoil in horror when we read in newspaper or history book of the atrocities committed by man upon man, we know in our hearts that each one of us harbours within himself those same savage impulses which lead to murder, to torture and to war.

To write about human aggression is a difficult task because the term is used in so many different senses. Aggression is one of those words which everyone knows, but which is nevertheless hard to define. As psychologists and psychiatrists use it, it covers a very wide range of human behaviour. The red-faced infant squalling for the bottle is being aggressive; and so is the judge who awards a thirty-year sentence for robbery. The guard in a concentration camp who tortures his helpless victim is obviously acting aggressively. Less manifestly, but no less certainly is the neglected wife who threatens or attempts suicide in order to regain her husband's affection. When a word becomes so diffusely applied that it is used both of the competitive striving of a footballer and also the bloody violence of a murderer, it ought either to be dropped or else more closely defined. Aggression is a portmanteau term which is fairly bursting at its seams. Yet, until we can more clearly designate and comprehend the various aspects of human behaviour which are subsumed under this heard, we cannot discard the concept.

Archived