New Book: Supreme Quality ...with MQ on cover

raysin

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

cover.jpg

Supreme Quality

Layout and design for Supreme Quality, published by R77 publishing and Gingko Press. A retropsective of the past decade of graffiti culture and artwork, ranging from New York to Los Angeles. Special tribute section to Nace as well as a street art/graffiti chapter by Sonic chronicling his travels to Nepal. 112 Pages, full color and perfect bound. Available at Tower Books.

2.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

SQsample.jpg

source

i peeped the book at tower and was pretty dissapointed. decided it wasnt worth getting caught over if i racked it. fuckin whole thing pretty much just jocks msk... and ive all ready seen most of the flix online anyways. save your money, you aint missing much. theres a little bit of some nice bombing but thats it.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by InfamousOne+Nov 30 2004, 09:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InfamousOne - Nov 30 2004, 09:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Nutonce@Nov 29 2004, 03:35 PM

best graff publication since THE VAPORS from cope2. everything else is trash. this aint europe.

the vapors???couldnt find it on the internet...where can i find it??

[/b]

THE VAPORS.

Help support 12oz!!

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by c. clarence@Nov 29 2004, 09:20 PM

i peeped the book at tower and was pretty dissapointed. decided it wasnt worth getting caught over if i racked it. fuckin whole thing pretty much just jocks msk... and ive all ready seen most of the flix online anyways. save your money, you aint missing much. theres a little bit of some nice bombing but thats it.

Jocks MSK? They've got one chapter, which I would say they've earned...do you think it jocks Nace too much also?

Originally posted by Locofanclub@Nov 26 2004, 02:06 PM

Not good...No Tower Records in the UK anymore,they went bump! Amazon.com doesnt look like its got it....Europe,buy up all the copies drom your local Tower.You will make a mint mate selling em to graf hungry trainspotters like me!!!! :clown2:

I ordered of my copy off Amazon on like the 6 of January and still not here yet.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_Europe

Italian graffiti magazine Garage has an interview with the editor of the book, Roger Gastman on their website:

http://www.garagemagazine.net/preview/supremequalityeng.htm

- Supreme Quality is a collection of graffiti in different forms: bombing, trains and tags. How much time did you spent on this project and which were the biggest problems doing it?

I spent a six months working on this book. At the same time I was also working on several other projects such as the history of Freight train graffiti and Swindle magazine. All of my projects tend to play off of each other and help each other out in one way or another. I didn't really come across any problems in putting this book together. My biggest obstacle was picking the perfect image for the cover that somehow represented the whole book.

- In the book there are some writers' profiles: Sonic in Nepal, NACE, SKREW and more. How did you choose them?

I often just pick from a crop of people that I know well and respect their work. Through all of my projects the past ten years I have come into touch with many people and stayed in contact with them. And it has shown through in my books. I like working with people I know. I can trust them with deadlines and such. Sonik is a contributor to Swindle to it was an obvious choice. I had gone through NACE's photos at his parent's house for the freight book that is in works so that was a no brainer also. Skrew, needs his own book.

- The graffiti paraphernalia section in the book includes markers, inks, magazines and spray: a lot of pictures of different products from quite all over the world. Are you a collector of this kind of stuff or did you collect those photos just for this project?

I am a graffiti collector. I have collected graffiti items since I started becoming interested in graffiti at the age of 14. I still collect what ever I can get my hands on. Expect to see more graffiti collectable images from me in the future.

- In the last years you compiled a lot of titles: Enamelized, Morning Wood, Free Agents, Supreme Quality. Could you write an adjective for each books you did?

FREE AGENTS: I grew up and was inspired by all I saw on the walls of Washington DC. This book was a yearbook in a way. A who is who of what made DC graffiti DC. My thank you to my inspiration.

ENAMELIZED: I just wanted to do a fun book of graffiti images scanned at very hi-res. Very high quality images and scans that you normally don't see in graffiti titles. The section of Philly hand styles is my favorite. It is a culture and style that is still un-interrupted after over 30 years. It stays true to its form.

MORNING WOOD: Fifty artists from all walks of life. Yet somehow all of their

work is relevant to each other in one twisted way or another.