new aphex twin 4xlp "druqks"

DIBS

has anyone else heard or own this?i just got it 2 days ago and am totally loving it,not what some would expect.alot of strange organ and music box sounding interludes/short tracks, alot of short piano pieces.and some tradition aphex sounds as well.none the less,this is a wonderful and completly beautiful work.highly recomended by me!

other peoples thoughts?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BROWNer

..eh...i looked forward to this release

for a long time....and never would have

expected it to be such a disappointment.

last months wire magazine review

of it was on point...i'd recommend people

put their money towards...a robert

normandeau record instead¨··¨··:·.:¨¨¨  ¨,

i bought the album on the day it was released here in europe and am thoroughly happy with my purchase. i also copped a handfull of those 'come on you cunt....' stickers which were much appreciated. thanks tower. all people should listen to aphex twin at least once because he is a genius. and everyone must watch the videos for come to daddy and windowlicker because they are 2 of the greatest music videos of all time.

http://us.ent2.yimg.com/musicfinder.yahoo.com/images/yahoo/sire/aphex_twin/aphextwin.jpg'>

don't sleep on richard d. james

Originally posted by graffitiSUX

don't sleep on richard d. james

my take on the new album is this,anyone who has some real history listening to aphex twin,meaning prior to come to daddy,windowlicker etc, should have been expecting this album.anyone familiar with selected ambient works vol 2 would have been able to recognize his ability and potential to create more traditionally classical music.ive been listening to aphex twin since 91,and own practically everything he has ever put out,and i have expected him to take this direction for a long time know.im glad that he has too,as far as fans go,it will weed out the people that were here just for a hot one,while the true will have been waiting for and rejoicing in this album.this direction will give true credit to his genius as a modern day composer and not just some techo dork.i look forward to more aphex classical music.

i agree. if joe citizen were to watch the windowlicker video, then head out and buy this album they would be bored shitless with what they hear. if you don't love richard, then you will hate this album. as a friend of mine said "its just bullshit noise. half the songs don't even have a beat. how can you enjoy this garbage"

yeah i can see how a newer fan would be"fuck this,this isnt what i wanted".but to the older fans i think this was expected.its a great album.richard james is one of the most talented composers of our time if not in recent history.bravo to a job well done.

Guest BROWNer

heh..wow...you guys sure got defensive.....i'm assuming you guys are directing this weak 'if you're aren't a true fan, then you won't get it' shit at me, so i've posted the review i mentioned earlier, which i find to be a perfect summation of the drukqs release..

by the way, i've got all of james's output(limited ep's, cryptic nom de plumes, the whole shebang)as well, and i've been listening to him just as long as any of you(real history). taken from the october 2001 wire(not 'wired') magazine review by rob young..in its entirety:

"Not since 1994's Selected Ambient Works II has Richard James ushered his legions of obsessive fans into such a cavernous cabinet of curiosities as Drukqs. That earlier album remains the foundation on which much of his towering reputation still rests-a model of mid-90's electronic tundra; a veritable wilderness to lose yourself in, all verbal referents removed; just segmented symbols in different colours left as signifiers to divide up the ghostly dustclouds of discrete tracks. This new collection is far more wilfully 'eclectic', but with a choking layer of selfconscious nonchalance that makes it as unlovable as much of his (limited) output in recent times, with the exception of the ubiquitous "Windowlicker".

The sleeve is festooned with strange-angled shots of a piano's innards, emphasising the working parts of that well tempered instrument. And indeed, much of the soundworld of Drukqs is, on first encounter, one part Erik Satie-like naif piano impromptus, two parts marvellous mechanical music machine. James's parts list of samples clank and tick over like the kind of automated Victorian organ you might expect to find wheezing away in a scene from HG Wells. "Kladfvbung Micshk" is typical: plucked metallic sonorities twang tautly in harshly defined stereo around plangent synthesized interjections. "2kthr" is one of the best moments of all: one and a half minutes of close-miked squeezebox whimsy; another is "Ruglen Holon", a miniature for prepared piano.

But not enough of Drukqs confidently breaks new ground, and too often James falls back on the all too familiar dysfunctional jitterbeat which has typified Aphex output since 96's Richard D. James Album. Although disc 2's "54 Cymru Beats" and "Meltphacc 6" compact everything James excels at in this mode - smelting gobbets of Acid bassline, timestretched digiburps and subliminal sonic tics into a tungsten lined flickerfunk - they're about as good as it gets. "Omgyjya-Switch" is a clumsy old heffalump of a track, thrashing its way through the Jungle in the rumbustiously ramshackle mode Aphex and his buddy Tom Jenkinson, aka Squarepusher, made so defiantly their own. In fact, what sounds suspiciously like the voice of Jenkinson himself interrupts the equally banging "Cock/Ver 10", phoning in a bawled "Come on you cunt, let's have some Aphex Acid!" as it blunders towards a crescendo. Jenkinson's more recent trajectory into live Improv collaboration has proved to be a more daring and interesting route from the electronic bedroom.

The majority of the remaining tracks are too much cake and no nuts. "Bbydhyonchord" is a melancholy wibble over a restrained electro-timbale groove. "Lornaderek" features the voices of his parents singing "Happy Birthday" to 28 year old Richard, grown up and gone to the big city. It's neither touching, nor particularly funny or ironic: you get the feeling he erased it from the answering machine immediately after minidiscing it. Only in a few places does James point towards inventive territory. On "Gwarek 2", agonised human screams lead into a dank, buzzing, cobwebbed cavern of creaks and rumbles, as if Chris Morris had commisioned Bernard Parmegiani to soundtrack his next series of Blue Jam.

Based on past admissions, true or not, there's the disappointing feeling all the time you're listening to it that the selection on Drukqs is just one combination out of many possible choices. It's not so much the pinnacle of his achievements at the mouse over the past three years as a randomly selected clutch of the thousands of tracks, half formed experiments and half-cut beatdowns James can fart out with one hand while the other is joysticking his way through Tomb Raider III. It has become his lot to exist in a permanent state of satirical siege against the culture that would adopt him. That may make for amusing and arresting statements, but you have to be a very good comedian indeed to make your work more than a period piece. Not so much career developement as career regression."

up ya bum.

browner

i dont think anyone was directing anything at you,you are more than entitled to your opinion on the album.the true fan statement was a general one directed at people new to aphex twins music and maybe not familiar with his older releases,hardcore fan or not.dont take it so hard buddy.

Archived