Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Nerd status: Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence [[email protected]]

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Poop Man Bob, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

[email protected] is a program you can install on your computer which replaces whatever current screensaver you have. When the screensaver runs, it helps analyze data collected by The Search for Extraterrestrial Life.

http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1003/fatdave/SETI.jpg'>[/center]

A brief explanation of [url=http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/about_seti/about_seti_at_home_1.html]how[/url] [email protected] works:
    [quote][b][b]The Problem — Mountains of Data[/b]

Most of the SETI programs in existence today, including those at UC Berkeley build large computers that analyze that data from the telescope in real time. None of these computers look very deeply at the data for weak signals nor do they look for a large class of signal types (which we'll discuss further on...) The reason for this is because they are limited by the amount of computer power available for data analysis. To tease out the weakest signals, a great amount of computer power is necessary. It would take a monstrous supercomputer to get the job done. SETI programs could never afford to build or buy that computing power. There is a trade-off that they can make. Rather than a huge computer to do the job, they could use a smaller computer but just take longer to do it. But then there would be lots of data piling up. What if they used LOTS of small computers, all working simultaneously on different parts of the analysis? Where can the SETI team possibly find thousands of computers they'd need to analyze the data continuously streaming from [url=http://www.naic.edu/]Arecibo[/url]?

The UC Berkeley SETI team has discovered that there are already thousands of computers that might be available for use. Most of these computers sit around most of the time with toasters flying across their screens accomplishing absolutely nothing and wasting electricity to boot. This is where [email protected] (and you!) come into the picture. The [email protected] project hopes to convince you to allow us to borrow your computer when you aren't using it and to help us "…search out new life and new civilizations." We'll do this with a screen saver that can go get a chunk of data from us over the internet, analyze that data, and then report the results back to us. When you need your computer back, our screen saver instantly gets out of the way and only continues it's analysis when you are finished with your work.

It's an interesting and difficult task. There's so much data to analyze that it seems impossible! Fortunately, the data analysis task can be easily broken up into little pieces that can all be worked on separately and in parallel. None of the pieces depends on the other pieces. Also, there is only a finite amount of sky that can be seen from Arecibo. In the next two years the entire sky as seen from the telescope will be scanned three times. We feel that this will be enough for this project. By the time we've looked at the sky three times, there will be new telescopes, new experiments, and new approaches to SETI. We hope that you will be able to participate in them too![/b][/quote]

[b]Links[/b][list]
    [*]You can read more about the overall process [url=http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/process_page/]here[/url].
    [*]Learn about [email protected] in general [url=http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/learnmore.html]here[/url].
    [*]What would an alien signal [url=http://www.planetary.org/html/UPDATES/seti/alien_signal.html]look like[/url]?[/list]

I just downloaded it last week and it's only run a little bit. But it's cool. So [url=http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/download.html]download[/url] it and be nerdish.​

2. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

3. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

is this for real? or just for entertainment?

4. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

Didnt some college make a big ol' deal (Like hacking
    and computer conspiracy charges and what not)
    out of this when one of the professor's replaced
    the screensavers with these?

I remember hearing about this...yeehaw.

5. Poop Man Bob

Naw, it's for real.

6. Guess where the #1 Blingmaster radiotelescope dish used for this venture is located?

Wordemup 2

7. AORAone

AORAone Veteran Member

didnt arcel make a similar thread about a month ago? except it was like a screen saver? i dunno......anyways.

8. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

i used to have this on my old powerbook.

9. villain

villain Veteran Member

I will link other distributed computing applications to this thread at a later date. My bro's over right now and he's sleeping...

10. Poop Man Bob

11. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

damn if this is for real, thats fuckin crazy...

i downloaded it on my comp, i don't understand a thing it doing...
    just a whole bunch of graphs and data.... but that'd be some crazy shit if
    i actually found some sort of outer space intelligence on my home pc...
    haha before i would know it, it's independence day at my house, with
    will smith running around trying to save the world....

12. villain

villain Veteran Member

13. The Large Hadron Collider at CERN, when finished in 2007, will employ distributed computing to find the Higgs boson (aka: the God particle). It won't be available to ordinary users such as ourselves, but the principle is there.

Stuff.

14. dosoner

dosoner Elite Member

tried to join but i got a 404, will try later

15. shape1369

shape1369 Member

one of my old physics professors used to run this on his entire computer lab. my dad used to run this as well...