Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

need some entertainment!!?? how about "9/11..the movie"!?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by BROWNer, Jun 25, 2003.

1. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

washingtonpost.com

'D.C. 9/11' Spins Tale of President on Tragic Day
    Showtime Docudrama Depicts a Defiant, Decisive Bush

By Paul Farhi
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, June 19, 2003; Page C01

LOS ANGELES, June 18 -- In the hours after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, a bold, forceful President Bush orders Air Force One to return to Washington over the objections of his Secret Service detail, telling them: "If some tinhorn terrorist wants me, tell him to come and get me! I'll be at home, waiting for the bastard!"

Well, the president didn't actually speak those words. But it's close enough for the Hollywood version of events. In a forthcoming docudrama for the Showtime cable network, an actor playing the president spits out those lines to his fretful underlings in a key scene.

The made-for-TV film, "D.C. 9/11," is the first to attempt to re-create the events that swirled around the White House in the hours and days immediately after the strikes on the Pentagon and the World Trade Center.

The quintessentially American story was shot primarily in Toronto, where drafts of the movie's dialogue were leaked to the Globe and Mail newspaper.

Sources here confirmed the generally heroic portrayal of the president and his aides, including the dramatic scene in which Bush is hopscotching the country in Air Force One as a security precaution. When a Secret Service agent questions the order to fly back to Washington by saying, "But Mr. President -- , " Bush replies firmly, "Try 'Commander in Chief.' Whose present command is: Take the president home!"

The two-hour film, to air around the second anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001, stars Timothy Bottoms as Bush, reprising a role Bottoms played for laughs on the short-lived Comedy Central series "That's My Bush!," which went off the air a week before the Sept. 11 attacks. Many of the movie's secondary roles, such as Vice President Cheney and Secretary of State Colin Powell, are played by obscure New York and Canadian actors. Among the familiar faces in the cast are Penny Johnson Jerald (she plays the president's ex-wife on the Fox series "24"), who appears as national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, and George Takei (Sulu on the original "Star Trek" series), who plays Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta. The movie's veteran director, Daniel Petrie, made such films as "Eleanor and Franklin," "Sybil" and "A Raisin in the Sun."

The writer-producer of "D.C. 9/11," Lionel Chetwynd, declined to discuss specific scenes or dialogue in the film. But he defended its general accuracy, saying: "Everything in the movie is [based on] two or three sources. I'm not reinventing the wheel here. . . . I don't think it's possible to do a revision of this particular bit of history. Every scholar who has looked at this has come to the same place that this film does. There's nothing here that Bob Woodward would disagree with." Woodward, a Washington Post assistant managing editor, is the author of "Bush at War," a best-selling account of the aftermath of Sept. 11.

Chetwynd said his approach to the post-Sept. 11 story was similar to that of a 1974 TV movie, "The Missiles of October," a dramatization of the showdown between President Kennedy and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev over Soviet missile emplacements in Cuba in 1962. "This is about how George Bush and his team came to terms with the reality around them and led the country in a new direction," he said.

He noted that the take-me-home scene is based on actual events. "Did [the president] assert his right to go home? Did the president decide to overrule the Secret Service? Yes, he did."

But the movie, which includes some documentary news footage, has already drawn scattered criticism. Writing in the Toronto Sun, columnist Linda McQuaig compared it to Hollywood's mythologizing of figures like Wyatt Earp and added that it "is sure to help the White House further its two-pronged reelection strategy: Keep Americans terrified of terrorism and make Bush look like the guy best able to defend them." And Texas radio commentator and self-styled populist Jim Hightower has derided "D.C. 9/11." On his syndicated radio program this week, Hightower said the movie will present Bush as "a combination of Harrison Ford and Arnold Schwarzenegger. . . . Instead of the doe-eyed, uncertain, worried figure that he was that day, Bush-on-film is transformed into an infallible, John Wayne-ish, Patton-type leader, barking orders to the Secret Service and demanding that the pilots return him immediately to the White House."

Neither McQuaig nor Hightower has actually seen "D.C. 9/11," notes Chetwynd, a Canadian emigrant whose earlier films ("Hanoi Hilton," "The Siege at Ruby Ridge," "Kissinger and Nixon") have often touched on national politics and policy.

However, Chetwynd acknowledges that he began the project as a "great admirer" of the president. Chetwynd is among the few outspokenly conservative producers in Hollywood, and one of the few with close ties to the White House. His 2000 Showtime film "Varian's War" (about an American who rescued French Jews from the Nazis) was screened at the executive mansion for the president and Mrs. Bush. In late 2001, President Bush appointed him to the President's Committee on the Arts and the Humanities.

In researching "D.C. 9/11," Chetwynd had access to top White House officials, including Bush. What's more, Chetwynd ran the script past a group of conservative Washington pundits, including Fred Barnes, Charles Krauthammer and Morton Kondracke.

But he insists that only he and Showtime had control over the film's content and tone. "This isn't propaganda," he says. "It's a straightforward docudrama. I would hope what's presented is a fully colored and nuanced picture of a human being in a difficult situation."

2. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

you hear that?

3. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

one more time...NOT PROPAGANDA.

4. Pilau Hands

Pilau Hands Guest

"If some tinhorn terrorist wants me, tell him to come and get me! I'll be at home, waiting for the bastard!"

and then he tied a firehose around his waist and jumped off a building just as it exploded. he then repelled down the side to safety and landed on osama's head, hit him a few times with the aformentioned firehose, roundhoused him, stabbed him with the pointy end of a flag pole [with american flag flapping gently in the night] and then pee'd on him while a bald eagle perched on his right arm.

the end.

Dude i could so write for hollywood.

5. Given the fact that any historical event that gets 'documented' needs at least a time span of 5-10 years for historians and researchers to look at it a tad more onjectively and with more 'evidence' on hand...leaving alone that noone seems to have a semi convincing plot about 9/11....its clear that its NOT PROPAGANDA....

6. Pilau Hands

Pilau Hands Guest

http://www.dumbesttv.cheeb.com/images/timbot2.jpg'>

holy crap, the guy from THAT'S MY BUSH is playing him
    hahaha

"But Mr. President -- , " Bush replies firmly, "Try 'Commander in Chief.'

...Keep Americans terrified of terrorism and make Bush look like the guy best able to defend them.

Man...leaving aside the fact that this is so very much propaganda...
    it's just shitty.

7. caL

caL Senior Member

i wouldnt even watch that.

8. !@#$%

!@#$% Moderator Crew

9. metallix

metallix Elite Member

10. TuffKid

TuffKid Senior Member

i hate girls with mad bush...

11. TEARZ

TEARZ Guest

my body just required that i barf after reading that.

12. PedroHammers

PedroHammers Dirty Dozen Crew

unfortunately so many people are going to eat this shit up and jump around in fuckin american flag underoos...
    it is all fuckin filth.

13. crave

crave Veteran Member

14. Jackson

Jackson Veteran Member

My worst day... today.

15. Ruined my day, the entire week, and maybe even months of my life.