Need help ripping dvd's

El Producto

so ive downloaded this dvd decyrpter thing, and ive ripped the dvd onto the computer..no problems

but basically, the file is HUGE...my brother has tried to download off me through soulseek and it took about 3 hours to get 1% (and this is at a pretty fast connection)...so i took a look at the dvd, and i THINK it might be so big because of the quality of the film. its perfect. so im wondering if theres a way i can make the quality a bit worse just to make the file smaller??? or is the quality even the problem???

please help. The only thing i can offer you in return is the film (if you have soulseek)...its the new NT crew video - Terror Fabulous. iBritish crew with footage from the UK, spain, poland, germany and a few other countrys. any help that actually works would really be appreciated and ill give you my soulseek name so you can download it off me.

another thing that might be worth mentioning about the file is that when i load it up using VLC media player, it goes straight to the interactive menu (you know on dvd's, the menu where you can select 'Chapters', 'Extras' etc)..ive downloaded a few films off the net and never seen a dvd rip with an interactive menu, so maybe this is the problem???

anyway, help would be much appreciated

cheers

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

thats the site i used for the guide on how to rip the dvd...ive had a look through the guides list and i cant find anything that sounds like changing the quality..unless i need to convert it from one file into another???

at the moment, its an 'ISO' file...ive never heard of those before

cheers for the link, but a bit more info would be sweet

No, dvdshrink isn't what you want in this case.

The reason your file is so huge is that DVDs are encoded in high quality MPEG-2. Any commercial DVD you rip is going to be anywhere from 3.5-9GB of information. DVDShrink will let you lower quality while keeping MPEG-2 encoding, but it was made primarily to make discs with >4.7GB fit onto a single layer DVD.

What you're looking for is something that can transcode into DiVX AVI, or your format of choice.

There are a bunch of tools here, all free:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=30#30

and of course the divx codec @ http://www.divx.com if you don't already have it.