need help buying a laptop

Mr. Mang

i'm thinking of getting a laptop soon. i'm never in the same place very long and hate having to lug around a desktop everywhere i go. plus my desktop is gettign a bit dated.

any suggestions on a good place to buy/brand? i'll probably have to make payments on the damn thing... broke!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

Macs are more expensive since you mentioned the $$ part and ofcourse less flexible when it comes to finding whatever you want in terms of software (i supose you wont be willing to buy software)...i dunno if they're big in america but ACER is dominating in europe, i've used one for a good 10 day period and it fuckin rocked

http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as2010.htm

trying to get a notebook with not much money = bad idea.

you can get away with that shit on a desktop, but a notebook... nope.

id save some extra pennies before buying one.

if you go with dell, get a 600m. not only does it only weigh like 5 pounds or so, but you get about 4 - 4 1/2 hours battery life with the pentium M processor.

holla.

i'm willing to drop some $ on it. i can pay for it as i go. that's what i'll probably do. i'm just not really a mac person. i dont feel like learning a whole new OS and going through all of that. im just looking for a PC.

any brands/things i should stay away from?

Originally posted by mindvapors@Jan 2 2005, 03:31 PM

Aviod Dell's and Compaq's.

Oh, and dont forget those exploding batteries and rotting testicles.

Agreed.

Dells are garbage. Theyre always having some kind of malfunction with them, thats probably why they have that 24/7 support. Compaqs, ive never had a problem with them. My own computer is use for gaming, but the same manufacturer makes computers for other uses check it out www.alienware.com

all computers have defects sometimes. dell's do i'd say because they sell so many, sometimes to meet demands they probally arent put together the best that they could be. but the truth is, all of them have problems sometimes.

if i wasnt getting a dell (which by the way i do got one, that 600m i recommended, and my shits ill) but if i was going elsewhere id go with a compaq probally.

sony and toshiba are ok to, but ive had a lot of customers complaining about them to.

which gets me back to my point that nobody's shit is perfect all the time. its man made.

dont go for big names. search the interweb for the smaller companies. you will get less in terms of customer service, such as tech support lines and warranty type deals. but the computers with the same hardware cost more when they come from your dell or gateway or.. whatever the fuck else.

Its not so much as learning a new OS, but unlearning alot of the bullshit you had to go through to do something on a pc. It's still pretty much the same yet much more stable.

For instance, when I look at an installation guide I see two steps for the mac installation and tw0 pages for the PC.

Guest -MOE LESTER-

DO NOT GET A TOSHIBA

THEY FUCKIN SUCK AND ALL THE STANDARD PRGRAMS LIKE ANTIVIRUS AND MICROSOFT EXPIRE

FUCK THIS BITCH ASS LAPTOP

I used to repair Laptops. DELL, IBM, NEC, Compact,

I can tell you IBM is the most reliable as far as hardware goes, a little stronger physically. IBM and DELL are probably the best with keeping updates available and web records of other peoples problems so you can figure out your probelms on your own. IBM's are slightly more expensive.

I used to have a Mac Power book, I hated it, nothing but problems, i sold it.

Last week I was getting in the car and hit my IBM 600x laptop on the door frame and it broke the hard drive, the machine was on but closed and I've warned people about this many times, oh well...

I bought a Dell 700m it came a few days ago but its too small for me. I returned it and im getting a dell 8600 or 9200.

But If I could aford it I would go to

http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/not...ome_office.aspx

some sick shit there, a little pricey though..

what ever you do dont get a celeron.

• 6 months later...
Guest imported_Europe
Originally posted by STYLEISKING@Jul 15 2005, 11:15 PM

anyone know where to order a apple powerbook online for the best price?

i tried pricerunner.com,kelkoo,idealo.de.....

much appriciated

Get one at http://www.apple.dk or even better, at the Mac store where I got my iBook ;)