Neck Face

carslegs

I don't know if this has been posted (if it has I am sorry), but I am curious on how other people feel about his work and progression. My thoughts are kind of in between. I really like the stuff I've seen of his in galleries for art shows he has participated in. On the other hand I kind of wonder if he wasn't putting his name all over New York would people like his stuff as much as they do and would they sell for as much. He's also hit up with Shepard Fairey, Big Foot and many others. In no way am I dissing Neck Face, hell I say he rides this shit out. Hopefully he lasts forever, but if not, he might as well cash in now. As shitty as that sounds you know most of you feel that way. Also, when I was reading his New Yorker interview It kind of got me wondering about his intentions because he said he was going to try to keep the illegal stuff on hold for a bit since he had shows coming up. I thought that was a little odd since it seems that all the illegal stuff is what is getting him these shows. After all is said I done I really like his work. Here is some of his art show work since I know most have seen the fotolog stuff.

http://www.brooklynfireproof.com/artists/ViewWork.asp?WorkID=495&ID=90'> http://www.brooklynfireproof.com/artists/ViewWork.asp?WorkID=496&ID=90'> http://www.brooklynfireproof.com/artists/ViewWork.asp?WorkID=497&ID=90'> http://www.newimageartgallery.com/NeckFace/neckface.jpg'> http://www.newimageartgallery.com/8804/Neckface-Front.jpg'> http://www.newimageartgallery.com/SeedSpreaders03/neckface.jpg'>http://www.newimageartgallery.com/SeedSpreaders03/neckface2.jpg'> http://www.newimageartgallery.com/SeedSpreaders02/neckface.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this whole thread is suspect.

a new user just randomly happens to come onto the board with a specific agenda and it's just by chance?

hmmm.

not buying it.

then again, i'm also not buying dudes stuff. IMHO, that shit is garbage, relying entirely on the backlash against 'art' to validate it's existence as 'art'. maybe if i had an idea about who the guy was and his motivations/life, etc, i might be a little more accepting, but as it stands now, these pieces alone are gimicky horseshit.

whatever gets you rich though, i guess.

I'm not looking for any personal information that can be used against him I just want to know other's opinions on how he's getting such a rep. I mean, in the short time he's been getting attention he has scored shows with other artists including Bigfoot, Rich Jacobs, Craig Metzger, & Buff Monster just to name a few. Not to mention the musician Beck has purchased his stuff. He's also done shirts for Priceless and Supreme. He's even in the latest Arkitip. I don't know about anyone else but these are quite some accomplishments for only really getting out there in the past 2 or so years. Sorry if I come across as someone trying to find out who the guy is.

i hate art...

but i love graffiti!

i hate the whole stupid name trend. eatfuck, toesucker, neckface, fartknocker, cocksucker etc, etc. the only one that i thought was cool was ear snot...cause when that kid was getting up hard in the city it wasnt trendy to have a stupid name, but now that its trendy its corney..like so many other good ideas in the graff game.

no, i wasn't implying you were a cop trying to bust the guy, but you're also not a writer just throwing out a question in passing.

if you want our honest opinions, you should be honest with your reason for asking.

since i'm bored.

i've heard dudes name before, but prior to the images you posted, i've never seen anything he's done. now that i have, i almost wish i hadn't. i liked it better as a name with limitless possibilities borne of my ignorance. now he's a guy that does shitty art and has a hot-button name. thanks, but no thanks.

just because beck laud's him, or a countless number of fly-by-night magazines are giving him coverage, that means very little to me. he wasn't here two years ago, and chances are decent he wont be here two years from now. modern art is fickle and dictated by personality and publicity, not by artistic merrit. the ability to reinvent yourself to fit in seemlessly with the newest trends is more important than the ability to make ground breaking work.

maybe he is some wacky visionary, but the few examples here sure as hell wouldnt lead one to believe such things. not if that 'one' was me anyway.

yeah i agree with everything seeking said. Neckface is wack as a writer and uninspiring as an artist - from what i've seen anyway. being featured in trendy artfag bible Arkitip just confirms this for me.

maybe if one day Matthew Collings writes about his work in Modern Painters, or if he ventures out of lower Manhattens community of support for his faux-naive bombing, i might pay more attention. as it is, i think theres thousands more writers and artists with more talent and more to say...

Seeking, where exactly did I say you implied I was a cop and how wasn't I honest with my intentions? In both of my posts I clearly said I wanted to hear opinions on Neck Face. You seem to have a little aggression on your hands. Who's to say I'm not a writer. Just because I haven't been on this message board since it's creation or don't say the right things doesn't mean anything. Chill out, dude.

being frank is not being angry. i could care less why you want to know what people think of him, i'm certainly not going to stand in your way of asking, i just want to know, for my own curiosity, why you are asking because i do not for a second believe that you're just some random writer who's been checking out the site for a while and decided he would register to just ask this random question he had in the back of his head. we both know that isn't the case, so c'mon, be honest, what's the deal.

don't mistake this for anger or anything. this is curiosity at it's most bored.

Okay, I'm a cop. My badge number is 8675309. That's what you want to see, right? I applogize for not being on this message board as long as you have and for genuinely being curious about how other folks percieve this guy. I mean seriously, guy, what other intentions do you think I have? I already said I have no interest in the guy's identity. I was honestly just trying to find out how this dude is viewed by fellow artists. Do you do this to everyone new person who asks a question?

everyone? no, only the ones that are obviously not being honest.

you're being pretty unecessarily defensive there friend. i dont think you're a cop, we established that two posts ago. however i also don't think you are just a random writer interested in other writers opinions on neckface (which was also established two posts ago). this could have all been done and over with a while ago, but you insist on being all evasive for no apparent reason.

please answer the question i've asked 4 times now. WHY are you curious as to how we view his stuff? why do you want to know? do you work for a gallery? a magazine? why does 'carslegs' care what we think of neck face? how will it change your life to know our opinion? are you conducting a survey? are you a fledgling artist hoping to jumpstart his career by possibly following a similar path? just please, humor me and tell me why you're interested.

i have as much to gain by learning why someone would care what we think, as you have to gain by knowing.

I believe you got defensive first. I asked because I would like to see how other people (other people meaning everyone else besides the people who obviously love him in the magazines and on his fotolog) feel about what he's doing. That's all. There's really nothing more to it than that. I wish I could tell you what you want to hear. Any sane person could tell you I'm not being evasive towards anything you've asked me.

let's try this one more time, shall we? (i'm just going to cut and paste my last post, in the interest of saving time):

WHY are you curious as to how we view his stuff? why do you want to know? do you work for a gallery? a magazine? why does 'carslegs' care what we think of neck face? how will it change your life to know our opinion? are you conducting a survey? are you a fledgling artist hoping to jumpstart your career by possibly following a similar path? just please, humor me and tell me why you're interested.

nothing in any of your replies even touches on the ONE QUESTION i've asked you 5 times now. i know what you're asking, i'm clearly not retarded, i just don't understand why you won't tell me why you're asking? are we really having that big of a communcation breakdown?

I'm convinced you are a fucking moron. I am JUST interested in peoples feelings towards the guy. For some reason, I have no idea why, it interest me as to how people conceive this cat. It is as simple as that. You know how sometimes someone will be like "I wonder what people are doing In China right now" or some other random shit like that? They're just curious. That's it. I'm sure they'd get thrown off by some complete jackass trying to break down the reasoning for them asking that just like I'm being thrown off by your dumb ass.

let me put it to you like this. this is the largest graffiti message board in the world. graffiti is illegal. cops are constantly crawling all over this board looking for info on people, and in more than one case, using that info in court to convict people and send them to prison. on top of cops, we also have anti graff groups, students, journalists, wanna be film makers, etc etc, all trolling around asking questions. most are innocent, some are not. when someone is very obviously not a writer, it's my business to know why they are here and what they're doing. aside from that, it's also interesting to me on a personal level, to try and understand why people even bother to ask our opinion on things. it gives me a better understanding of how the world views graff, and how we all relate to one another. so you come on here, and i ask you (just as i have countless times before) why you were curious. not an entirely unwarranted question given the nature of graffiti and the legalities it involves. i never once implied you were up to something shady or insulted you, i simply pointed out the fact that you were obviously not a writer and wondered why you were interested. i then answered your question (TWICE!) intelligently and in detail. in turn, you constantly played dumb, insulted me, and avoided giving me an answer with any amount of substance. yet i'm the jackass?

if i wonder what someone is doing in china, it's to compare their daily life to mine. if i wonder why someone cares what we as writers think, it's because i'm interested in that persons motivation for coming to a website, opening an account, linking pictures, citing a bunch of examples, then checking back several times to see peoples responses.

if i came into your work and started asking questions 'no reason, just because', you'd be a bit suspicious too. if you worked in an illegal industry, magnify that 100fold.

now, if you'd like to maybe do me the honor of sharing something abotu yourself, we could all get to know eachother a little better, then we'd all have the answers we sought and the world will magically fix itself.

how's that sound?

Well, My name is Carl and I live in Fresno, California. I know you like to think you're some super criminal and all the cops are after you but you're not and you keep bringing up shit that is irrelevant. I never ever came across like I was interested in any way in who Neck Face is and/or any info about the guy. I asked what you graffiti guys felt about him because, like I said in every one of my posts, I am interested in your guys' opinions. I don't know how much more I can break this down for you. It seems like you want to argue. I know how the people who are into trendy art, and read read all the cool, hip, arty magazines feel about Neck Face, NOW I would like to see how you guys (not you personally, I would hate for you to think I'm a cop and am asking these questions to catch you, because I'm sure you are the FBI's number 1 concern right now) as graffiti artists see him and how he seems to be becoming this huge star so rapidly. He's getting all this coverage and he just writes this silly little moniker everywhere, yet there are all these writers who I'm sure put in hard work doing elaborate pieces and they are simply overlooked. This is where my curiosity comes in. And you keep bringing up the fact that I am not a writer, please explain to me your reasoning on that. By the way, I still think you're an idiot.

Originally posted by carslegs

I know you like to think you're some super criminal and all the cops are after you but you're not.

this is a blatant testimony to your ignorance as a writer, which is akin to the ignorance of many who visit and post sensitive info on this board...as well as ask about shit that need not be asked on a public message board. “where is this guy from, what does his name mean, where does he paint etc. etc. (not that you asked that about this guy, but your mentality expressed above is what im taking issue with) no writer, or one with any sense, thinks they are super criminals or gangstas or that they are doing something that may warrant a federal investigation. however, graffiti is illegal. therefore law enforcement agencies around the country have people on the payroll to investigate crime, whether its petty crime or serious violent crime. what seems to continuously allude most people who subscribe to 12oz prophet is that while there is no substantial effort among law enforcement to investigate graffiti on a large scale (well i dont think there is, but then again I dont know) it does happen. there are cops and agencies who investigate graffiti, and message boards like this one are an orgy of evidence. so just because we are not raping little children or conspiring to distribute narcotics dosent mean no one is watching. this is not necessarily directed at you but to the larger 12 oz audience who is so naive and that they continuously give up info that can be damaging to certain writers in certain cities.

i wonder if the writers who have been the subject of investigations, arrested, phones tapped, doors kicked, houses raided feel the same as the ones who take the "writers are not real criminals", or “its not that serious” approach.

First of all, no one knows who and who isn't a writer. I've just glanced at some of the posts some of you guys write and you try to make it seem like you're in some elite, secret society that no one knows about and everyone is out to get you. I realize police come here and people are paid to ask questions but what, in all of my postings, led Seeking to believe I was after Neck Face? He says he never claimed that he accused me of this but he repeatdley got defensive over the fact that I wasn't answering him the exact way he needed to hear it and that I might be some sort of authority figure. I got all day and unless someone bans me for defending myself, I can go on forever.

There is a clear line between street artists, who 'bomb', and writers.

But really it just follows the NY street art traditions set forth by the likes of: flower power sally, the flower guy( does those flowers), benz boxman (does the card box installations), soho larry ( he did the man hole cover paintings), and who could forget Keith hairy ( the bald dude who did them things). Its non threatening and accessible to the art world due to the fact they can apply their language, to its critique.

Originally posted by carslegs

you try to make it seem like you're in some elite, secret society that no one knows about and everyone is out to get you.

You know too much. Now we're gonna have to kill you neck face style bee-otch.

ok, now this is just getting retarded. i feel like i'm talking to a wall, but a cocky wall, that makes shit up just to be frustrating.

maybe the problem has been my lack of a clear organizational model. let's try it alphanumerically and see what kind of results that yields.

1. as stated on atleast 3 occasions, i don't think you're a cop. we've all (myself included) acknowledged the fact that you are not asking for personal info, so you can no longer use that as a smokescreen. that excuse is done, over. you are not a cop, you are carl from fresno.

2. i officially acknowledge and accept that you're only reason for asking was to gain an understanding of how we as 'writers' viewed 'neckface'. you got that? i know that is what you are asking and i know that is ALL you are asking. i know that from your first post, that is all that you've asked. at no point did i ever lose site of this, and falsely believe you were asking for anything else. i said it several times before, but maybe now that it's presented in such a form, you will stop trying to hide behind it.

now that we have that out of the way, let's now work on clearing up my side of the court.

1. what do you hope to gain from your understanding of our oppinion? ie: why are you asking? are you:

A. journalist?

B. gallery owner?

C. fledgling artisttrying to find path to fame?

D. conducting a survey?

E. other*?

*if other, please explain.

see, if you were some dumb kid that posts here all the time and randomly asked, i wouldnt have bothered to even reply, but that obviously isnt the case. in the name of complete understanding, let me break down my exact reasons for taking notice of this thread, and persuing an answer.

A. you registered specifically to ask this question, and have replied to nothing but this topic. this leads me to believe you have no other real interest in the site (despite the fact that you obviously check the topic frequently).

B. serious writers generally share a similar mindset, and go about things the same way. they notice the same sorts of things, and pay attention to specific details. your posts have lacked the traits that the majority of writers would have, regardless of intelligence level or education.

C. the details you did gave were too clear and concise to be from your average writer. you cited a bunch of artists 99% of writers would know nothing about, yet did so as if we would. even neckface, who you keep insisting is so famous, really is pretty irrelivent to anyone outside of NY, and even in NY, he seems to be largely ignored. if you were a writer, you would have known that.

now we come to the final point, the reason this has become such a big deal; my reason for wanting to know your agenda, and believing there was something larger than 'just because' motivating you.

1. You are not a writer, i think we can both agree to that, yes? yet you are on a graffiti board asking for graffiti writers opinions. you came here specifically to do that. to me this implies that you have some sort of vested interest in what we have to say, otherwise you would not have taken the time to do it. you also obviously dont know any 'real' writers, otherwise you would have not only just asked them, but also known that 'third rail' on 12ozprophet, is not the place to find 'real' writers opinions on anything. these kids argue which paint is better, rusto or krylon, they're dumb. but you're obviously not dumb, you know what you're talking about, problem is, you don't know who you're talking to, which makes you stick out like mr t at a klan rally. so that is why i asked why you were interested, because there must be a reason you asked. it wasnt just a random question in passing, it was premeditated. since we've already established that i dont think you're asking cause your a cop, and my concern isnt for the safety of graffitikind, all that leaves is my own personal interest, on behalf of myself, the site, and graffiti as a whole, as to why you care what we have to say. which had you given any kind of substantive answer to from the begining, would have allowed us to avoid all of this. and if you were trully just as innocently inquisitive as you claimed, you'd be happy to discuss this with me, since regardless of whether you think i'm a 'moron' or not, i've proven that if nothing else, i can stay on topic and atleast think i know what im talking about. but you didnt care to talk about stuff, you just got defensive and ignorant, despite my constant attempts to be civil and restate my objective. all i wanted to know was why you cared, which you still have not told me. there is no such thing as 'just because'.

hopefully that clears things up. and before you bother to mention my 'detective skills', i'm a writer; 'casing' people is second nature to me. everything i've said was gleemed from your first post, all your subsequent replies just backed it up. i'm not nearly as dumb as you'd like me to be, just incredibly bored at a desk job.

Originally posted by seeking

this whole thread is suspect.

a new user just randomly happens to come onto the board with a specific agenda and it's just by chance?

hmmm.

not buying it.

then again, i'm also not buying dudes stuff. IMHO, that shit is garbage, relying entirely on the backlash against 'art' to validate it's existence as 'art'. maybe if i had an idea about who the guy was and his motivations/life, etc, i might be a little more accepting, but as it stands now, these pieces alone are gimicky horseshit.

whatever gets you rich though, i guess.

thank you seeking its fuckin true you just said what i couldnt because im too lazy...

I see what seeking is thinking ... i would agree ... if homeboy is so evasive with such a simple request the honest reply wont happen.

if it carries on ... call him out point blank !!

shit i want to now ... but seeks has put too much effort out to blow it like that now.

those who know, know !!

no dick riding ... no "e-backing up"... he knows what seeking is asking and it seems to me he's now afraid to just say it, and come off like a bitch.

after all isnt the perception of an artist the most valuble thing they retain while popular?? Who wants to mar that with some silly shit like this. yet avoiding it has caused the exact effect he didnt want to face from the begining.

THE TRUTH IS THE MOST VALUBLE THING YOU HAVE. Lies will only show your fears to the ones you want to impress in the first place, we all know i learned that the hard way.

like Rodney said, "I get no respect"