mystic river

Guest TEARZ

first of all haven't seen it yet, so NO GIVEAWAYS PLEASE.

but i've read some incredible reviews. and clint is my motherfuckin man (most of the time). but it looks like it's the real deal. anybody seen it yet?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

Recommended.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

I'll probably watch TCM for kicks soon, I've heard it's fun. But if I'm gonna say "WOW, WHAT A MOVIE..." for anything I've watched recently it's gonna be for "Mystic River". Sean Penn kicks all your asses.

Well, don't get me wrong, it wasn't a HOLY CRAP THIS SHIT OWNED MY PANTS FOREVER movie, but it's damn good, incredibly solid, save for one detail that I'll leave out until after you've watched it cause it's a total spoiler. You should also take my recommendations with a grain of salt. Remember, I loved "The Transporter". Even made a freakin thread about it.

The acting is too fucking deadly for words though. Tim Robbins is great, though he had some parts where it looked a bit forced... but this was more due to really challenging lines that are almost impossible to pull off convincingly cause they border a bit on the cheese side. A scene where he tucks his son to sleep by telling him a story about a boy who escapes from wolves is a good example of this (don't worry, that's not a spoiler at all). Sean Penn, however, just took the fucking cake everywhere. There's one particular scene when he and Tim Robbins are talking in a porch, and it's one of those overwhelming scenes where you're like "Holy shit, this is too much to handle" cause the starpower is just too goddamn good.

Originally posted by casekonly

tried to download it, but all i got was one of those blank screens. damn the mpaa. they keep placing fake files. i think it's a new trend.

i'd like to thank whomever mentioned "share monkey" good looking out.

you could just be missing the proper codecs.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

i as well can't wait to see this movie, but for personal reasons. supposedly a family member of mine is in it if his/her scene didn't get chopped.

this movie fits into a beautiful long weekend plan that also includes:

traveling

rock n' bowling

chilling with dennis kucinich

hot sexin with my lovely lady best friend oner

tree blazing

and much much more

estoy listo para tu punto; ya la vi

Originally posted by El Mamerro

but it's damn good, incredibly solid, save for one detail that I'll leave out until after you've watched it cause it's a total spoiler.

aight... let the people know mams... perhaps you should give it a disclaimer or something though so as not to harm the innocent.

for my part i thought the movie was.... gripping. really well done. intense. emotional. subtexts played out for the most part in fairly non-cheesed ways... although like elio's the cheese always has a way of "blubbing" up. but it was fucking dope overall. cuentame.

haha, glad i could repay the favor homey, because you've done the same shit to me... i just can't recall what movie it was right now...

MAMS WHERE YA AT WITH THAT CRITIQUE DUNLOP?

Re: estoy listo para tu punto; ya la vi

Originally posted by TEARZ

aight... let the people know mams... perhaps you should give it a disclaimer or something though so as not to harm the innocent.

for my part i thought the movie was.... gripping. really well done. intense. emotional. subtexts played out for the most part in fairly non-cheesed ways... although like elio's the cheese always has a way of "blubbing" up. but it was fucking dope overall. cuentame.

Disclaimer: Reading the following will ruin the movie if you haven't watched it.

My only qualm was with the less-than-satisfying murder solution. It didn't convince me at all that the kids did it, it came off to me as a forced "blame the person you'd least expect" by pulling the kids in way out from left field when they had been given almost no importance whatsoever during the movie. Like, all of a sudden these two kids just decided to fuck with this girl and accidentally shot her, so then they had to go bash her skull in? Furthermore, the kid's older brother had been living with him for so many years, and the kid hid from him the fact that he could talk all along (Not sure about this one, can't remember if the 911 convo had two voices or just one)? I mean, I guess that with the act of defiance against the detective you sort of got a gist of how this kid was fucked in the head, but it didn't seem enough to convince me that he'd accidentally shoot a girl, then murder her in cold blood to cover up.

I don't know, I felt it was sort of reaching for a big surprise. The worst case I can think of of a movie that did the same was "Identity". They ruined a decent movie with the stupidest ending ever. Other movies, such as "Sixth Sense", work much better cause the whole thing is peppered with clues that should give it away, but it manages to distract you and make you focus on something else. That way, when you see it again, you're like "Holy shit, it's so fucking obvious". If you watch "Mystic River" a second time, you won't see such a thing because the kids are practically not even in the picture.

But you know, considering how strong the movie is in all other aspects, this is just a trivial detail. It's not really a "whodunit" movie, it's more a "happy endings don't always happen in real life" movie.

more spoilers ahead.

well, it seems a little hollywood to you maybe, but it was a book originally

..i liked the ending with the kids.

i felt that it was a commentary on cycles and patterns in behavior, and reprecussions that come many years down the road..[sean penn's character] fucking up this woman's life by killing her husband/boyfriend/baby daddy..then so much time later, that very family he helped destroy by killing the head of the household ends up killing his daughter [the son gets involved in a forbidden romance; forbidden only because of that past shit; the dependency of the youngest child on the older guy; the desparation that arose out of the potential abandonment ..i.e. trip to vegas]

to me it was a fable kind of about shit coming back to kick you in the ass, and how hard it can be to escape consequences..