My own copy of Murphy's Law.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Guest imported_Tesseract

Friends and haters,

About a week ago i recieved a strange phonecall, it was about 2am when i saw my sisters phone number displayed on my celly as incoming...

-Hello?

-Hey, i'm at the computer at your house right now trying to check the lottery numbers but the computer froze...

-Shit, try hitting alt+ctrl+del, and close internet explorer from there..

-Aint working, theres also this emergency window here..

-That must be the firewall, anyway hit cancel, close anything like that

-nothing works

-fuckit, i'll be there in half an hour..leave it as it and i'll fix it (:cool: *)

And so i am, i hit alt/ctrl/del three times and the system reboots....when i get the first windows logoscreen, zaaaap...screen goes black, cpu stops...i hit the button this time, opens in safe mode everyhting seems to be working fine, i check my shit on control panel, nothing suspitious.

I repeat the same things 10 times over cigarettes while having the stupid belief that it may just unblock it self...i become motivated to experiment on 'step by step confirmation' boot

I do that a million times only to find out that when i boot:

• All the first page list and
    VNETSETUP.VXD
    NDIS.VXD
    NDIS2SUP.VXD
    JAVASUP.VXD
    VFIXD.VXD
    VREDIR.VXD
    DFS.VXD
    VSERVER.VXD
    MSMOUSE.VXD

and leave out:

VRTW.386
NETBIOS.VXD
SYMEVNT.386
NDISWAN.VXD

Windows load alright....that makes me capable of seing that right now half my devices have become malfucntional and for some reason they appear double in the Device Manager (cd-rom etc) on top of that, i have no network settings, the list gone almost blanc and theres no way i can get online to search for more help...time flies by...i fall asleep.

Next day i'm introduced to the idea that i should go at my girls comp, copy those files from her windows and paste'em back to mine...as i do that, i notice that my cd drive isnt working...the light on it blings like crazy and it cant access any cd...it appears to be functioning properly on Device manager however...I say fuck it, go at my girls grab the files and manage to fix the following from the above list

VRTW.386 Fail
NETBIOS.VXD Fail
SYMEVNT.386 Fixed
NIDISWAN.VXD Fixed

I start to wonder if changing from norton antivirus 02' to 04' may have anything to do with the whole thing...as i'm getting really tired and annoyed...i run a virus check, and multiple tests from NU and nothing appears fucked up.

The network is still in pieces, internet access is lost and the desicion is made...i need to backup my shit and format that miserable disk as i see this as some major software damage that occured...in my mind it connects directly with Norton for some reason.

My only option since the cd-writer (the only cd reader in my system since the breakdown of the single cd-rom one year ago) is to take out my HD, connect it at my girls comp as a slave take out all my work files and downloaded software zips and installers...format the disk and reinstall everything...waiting for the next for that.

alea jacta est

So i do it, burn all those fuckers in many cd's and return backhome...as i sit infront of the notorious msdos "c:/" screen...ready to launch the format i realise that if the cd aint working i wont be able to launch the windows cd and continue..i get pissed and hit format anyway...percentages appear and its on..i enter BIOS, assign the cd drive as boot source and it works...windows are being loaded.

The minute windows are up the cd stops working again...but i get the net to work and start dowloading/installing all my other apps...i go to my girls house and rip out her cdrom bring it here and install other shit from cd's...in theory i'm almost done but i aint got a cd-burner...an essential tool for my work.

In the meantine, i check my economics in order to see if i can afford a new computer i wanted for so long..the answer is clear, NO...so i decide to take my last 80 euros for the weekend and go buy a new dvdrom and a cdburner..i come back install them and be set.

I get abit hyped over my just formatted HD and i get all technical with updating everything, getting some new software to burn shit and stuff like that so i put even more work in. I call a friend and he would hook me with photoshop, illustrator and other apps that i cant work without...so i'm all done and waiting for that.

I get em yesterday and when i install photoshop something goes wrong...i get a disk error.

I run scandisk and find that some clusters are corrupted...after further investigations those clusters are exactly where the folder c:windowstemp is making it impossible for me to install anything new since everytime that cluster is touched, the system crushes.

I try to make a partition within the disk so i can disable clusters 512.506 to 512.572 but i get notified that my HD is too small to be cut up like that.

So after all these days i find my self in th exact same shit i was in the beggining..with a shitty computer i cant work on and a dozen deadlines hanging above my head..."if things can go wrong, be sure they will"

Tesseract/Overwelmed by that sincere calmness that is usually followed by massive pet slaughters, broken electrical devices and teeth pulled out with pliers.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

Virus checkers were always sharp and updated, systems scanned regulary and firewalls where up...plus there are very few virus's out there for win98...

i'm curious, what kind of hard drive do you have ? hmm... i was going to say, what if you got ahold of a cheap hard drive just big enough to put an operating system on, but then you would have to reinstall programs

how about getting a hard drive big enough to make an image of the old one, with norton ghost or whatever ?

Guest imported_Tesseract

Arcel, thats about my only option right now...i have a 5 year old P3/450Mhz with 512Ram and a 6GB HD and shitty intel cards....i feel so stupid for paying money to improve/fix that piece of shit...but anyway, an HD can always be used in another machine...i just want all this to end.

PS, note that with the damaged clusters being on temp folder i cant intsall nothing..or make big transfers of data within the hardrive like making an image or shit...the solution is to buy a new HD (40GB for 65euros is my lowest shot right now) and RE:reinstall everything...:o

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by j

It's stuff like this that keeps me from using a PC for important work.

for me its only the $$$ that keeps me away;)

arcel, yes...but i aint feeling that good on putting money to another shitty pc related device with no warrant and no knowledge over its history...the only way i'm feeling guilt-free for spending some money on this machine is the idea that i'm collecting components for the new one that will follow sooner or later

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Shit man, I wish I had something helpful or at least optimistic to say, but that problem really sounds like shit country. I would actively pursue purchasing of a new PC, even if it's by maxing a credit card.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Thanx for the support...it is a shithole indeed.

What bugs me the most if the fuckin timing...at my worse economic status since years and 2 months before my graduation...i have so much computer work to do its ridiculous...

Guest imported_Tesseract

Ok, so i'm off to new nerd adventures, just before that i'd like to illustrate a rare pshychospace condition where disorder infiltrates into a mans mind and further affects a ussually perfectly tidy workspace...

since its 1024x768 lets call this a 'desktop':dazed:

Guest imported_Tesseract

dude...if you could only see what rare and dope cd's are sitting in my desk for mp3sation and sharing

Question.. Why did'nt you just take out the HD and insert it into one of your friends machines and do a backup there, lowlevel format the HD, install windoze and copy the backedup files back? Doh!

Start saving up for a new HD, because when such problems start accuring its only a matter of time before it happens again...

My computer wrecked last night... I'm typing

from my friend's laptop right now.

Something's totally jacked and I'm fearing I

may have to format. Before Windows (ME) loads

I keep getting a 'Disk I/O Error, Replace and

strike any key when ready' screen... then when

windows does finally load I get no internet connection,

everying runs slow, it freezes sporratically,

and sounds like it's pushing oil and sand through

the wires with hard 'clicking' sounds.. I also

get 'System Registry Errors' and it says it

will automatically repair them but they keep

popping up. Pookie-ass machines.

My friend's going home this weekend so

I'm thinking about having him just run it to

my pops... but if anyone has any clue what

I might be able to do to avoid this bullshit..

I'm down for anything not too technical.

Guest mikro137
Originally posted by 26SidedCube

My computer wrecked last night... I'm typing

from my friend's laptop right now.

Something's totally jacked and I'm fearing I

may have to format. Before Windows (ME) loads

I keep getting a 'Disk I/O Error, Replace and

strike any key when ready' screen... then when

windows does finally load I get no internet connection,

everying runs slow, it freezes sporratically,

and sounds like it's pushing oil and sand through

the wires with hard 'clicking' sounds.. I also

get 'System Registry Errors' and it says it

will automatically repair them but they keep

popping up. Pookie-ass machines.

My friend's going home this weekend so

I'm thinking about having him just run it to

my pops... but if anyone has any clue what

I might be able to do to avoid this bullshit..

I'm down for anything not too technical.

sounds like yer machine needs a new HDD or something other than shitty ass ME.

Archived