My neighbourhood

Ski Mask

large file, be warned:

http://vpd.harbour.com/DTES/PickingUpTheBe...t-Broadband.wmv

take a look at this shamless grab for funding by the cops in my neck of the woods. Its not TOO far off the mark, but its still a bit of an overstatement. I walk by the spot the bartender feels "threatened just walking to work everyday"all the time, and so long as you arent waving around a expensive jewelry or telling the dealers to fuck off, you won't really get bothered. Maybe somebody will go "rock?" as you pass, but thats about it.

I have seen some pretty gnar fights though....

and the "open drug market" is only slightly smaller after the "massive crackdown" of late. its moved half a block, and scatered to a few other spots, but it hasnt got any smaller overall. go cops!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BROWNer
telling the dealers to fuck off, you won't really get bothered. Maybe somebody will go "rock?" as you pass, but thats about it.

i used to tell dealers to fuck off dude. right down on hastings where i lived

they got told daily. once they recognize you if you live in the area and get the

picture you're not down for their shit, they'll leave you be. until the next group of

dealers sets up shop anyhow..

I've been down there a bunch of times on various trips to Van and personally I've never felt "threatened", but I can see why older people feel that way. Its the feeling of lawlessness or that nothing can be done if something happens that scares people.

I believe that the problem may be too far gone to do anything. Like they said in the video, all they are doing is displacing the dealers. They just move down the block. If they put a cop on every corner it will just push them to other neighborhoods.

Originally posted by Weapon X

150 people buying and selling drugs on one corner? damn.

they said nothing about the murder rate. who's gary campbell?

its Larry not Gary, he's our ex-coroner turned mayor. He's also the guy the TV series "DaVinci's Inquest" is based on.

And 150 people is no joke, it was wild. Watching that used to be my morning entertainment while waiting for the bus. And it wasn't just drugs...you could go pick up a 9mm for under a $100 if you wanted. Along with about anything else you could want...

Originally posted by ese

And 150 people is no joke, it was wild. Watching that used to be my morning entertainment while waiting for the bus. And it wasn't just drugs...you could go pick up a 9mm for under a $100 if you wanted. Along with about anything else you could want...

Jesus.

I just watched the video. All they're doing, as you mentioned, is moving the market elsewhere .. not eliminating it.

My area is milder than that, but pretty much crack and heroin fuelled. It is quite shitty, but it don't really scare me, they dont say shit to me so i don't care, but when you see female crackheads getting beaten up its pretty...sad :rolleyes:

Guest sneak
Originally posted by Jackson

but when you see female crackheads getting beaten up its pretty...sad :rolleyes:

aint that the truth. ive seen some nasty drug related fights including one sick one over just a fucking henry of bud.

i have lived in similar neighborhoods. The police come and get everyone off of the streets eventually but that just sends the dealers and what not into hiding. The same shit goes down so the real problem is still there just no longer visable. What a bunch of shit. Good work officer.

Thats the big issue here. The crackdown is supposedly focusing only on dealers, not just users. But users are afraid of being hassled so they are seeking more remote and unsafe places to shoot up. All this on the verge of our city opening north america's first safe injection site. The city is a little pissed at the cops for not holding off till the site was in place.

And it is ridiculous. most of the dealers moved about 3 buildings down the block, and those who left that area, are just "re-enforcing" other dealing corners that are getting busier every day. way to go cops....

Guest sneak
Originally posted by Weapon X

YOU MUST TELL ME WHAT A HENRY IS!

henry = 1/8 of an ounce.

came about cos henry the 8th (the king), 1/8s of bud....

Archived