My Mom Died Sunday

KaBar2

My mom has been very ill for about eight months or so. She smoked cigarettes for about forty years (1942-1986) and it really damaged her lungs. She had a disease called COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) which is a lot like emphysema.

Last April she had a heart valve replacement. The mitral valve in her heart went bad, and it was causing her to be tired and breathless all the time, because it was leaking pressure back through her lungs. Normally the low-pressure side of the heart (which provides pulmonary circulation through the lungs) operates at a blood pressure of about 24/10. The high-pressure side operates at about 120/70. But, if the low-pressure side has faulty valves, the high-pressure side "leaks" pressure "backwards" through the mitral valve, creating pressures like around 100/70 where it's supposed to be 24/10.

This causes the heart to become enlarged, as the right-side ventricle gets bigger and stronger and more muscular to handle the increased pressures. This DECREASES the interior volume of the right ventricle (or "chamber" of the heart.)

This enlargement, combined with the higher stresses and pulmonary demands created by COPD, and her depressed mood associated with being on a ventilator to breathe, resulted in my mom refusing to eat, and her eventual loss of weight and strength.

She was very uncomfortable, and only partially concious for short periods for about a week. I asked the staff to provide her with morphine and Ativan for pain and anxiety and agitation. They did. She finally stopped breathing after a long, long struggle at 11:05 a.m.

For God's sake, if you use tobacco, QUIT NOW while you still have your health. Because if you don't, there is a horrible, painful death awaiting you thirty or forty years from now.

I loved my mother very much, and I really miss my Mom. But there are things worse than death, and living for months on a ventilator is one of them. RIP Mom. I wish she had never smoked cigarettes.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Damn.

My dad's been straightr smoking (and drinking) for nearly 40 years as well. We've asked him to quit for years to no avail.

To each thier own.

Stay up KaBar. nakone is in the same boat, he lost his mom (somewhat) recently.

:(

a man with cancer in his throat came into our school the other day. he couldn't talk normally, so he had to hold a larynx machine up to his throat, making that robotic type voice. anyways, he smoked cigarettes for 30 years and started a family. he's unable to do things like shower, because he has to breathe through a hole in his throat. the sad thing is, his sister and wife see what he has to go through every day, and yet they still smoke and haven't made an effort to stop.

RIP, KABAR'S MOTHER

...stay up KaBar.. I'm sure your mother would be proud of the outreach and awareness you spread in such a wonderful way. some of your experiences have helped me understand your opinions and this is one of those things that give me even more respect for you. I don't know a single soul who would have the heart to provide an accurate account of such a gruesome death publicly and with such candor. or even withstand the angry opposition this forum has to adult opinions.

may she rest in peace.

kabar,

i know we certainly have had our differences before, but i truly am sorry to hear about your loss.

i quit smoking several years ago- i used to smoke newports and bidis (retired thug life), so i wonder how much damage i did. i also wonder how much stronger i would be at cycling without those years of damage, and i hope that i don't pay for smoking that bullshit down the line- but at least i stopped.

again, i'm sorry man. take care.

Originally posted by vinyl junkie

friday is supposed to be my last day to smoke... i've had this planned for a month now...

do you have any idea how many dozens of times i've heard you "quit tomorrow"? am i in the exact same boat? are all of us who are hopelessly addicted to cigarettes and self-destructive behavior patterns all doomed to pay for our youthful digressions in ripe old age, if we make it?

am i depressed now?

My sincerest thanks for the condolences

She is in a better place, I hope. The pic posted above sure enough looks like my idea of what heaven ought to be like. My wife and I were talking about it on the way home from San Antone. I figure that, in Heaven, my Mom is about thirty, dressed up and going dancing. She loved Big Band music, and before she got sick, she could dance the Lindy like you've never seen. Ever see one of those WWII movies where couples dance and do all kinds of acrobatics? Back in the day, she and my Dad did that kind of dancing.

She bought her first motorcycle at age fifty. Taught my sisters how to play the guitar when they were all vey small. She loved Travis McGee novels. She rode a horse to elementary school. She and my father were distant cousins. They met because my father's mother had gone through the family tree, trying to find out if there were any relatives close by the Army hospital that my father was in. She visited him in Brooke Army Hospital, they fell in love and got married when the war was over.

Damn.....

It's ironic, a friend of mine started smoking AFTER his mother died. She died of cancer, nothing tobacco-related, but he felt depressed and picked up smoking for some strange reason (When i asked him why he started smoking he usually answered back "do you want to live forever?"). That was about 3 years ago and he's already addicted. He regrets it now, but can't do anything about it. He tried quitting, but only managed to stay away from cigarettes for a few months.

Check out thetruth.com for some facts about the filthy tobacco-industry. Pass that url to every smoker. Smoking really kills and cigarettes make you pay A LOT of money for your own death.

Originally posted by igor

Damn.....

It's ironic, a friend of mine started smoking AFTER his mother died. She died of cancer, nothing tobacco-related, but he felt depressed and picked up smoking for some strange reason (When i asked him why he started smoking he usually answered back "do you want to live forever?"). That was about 3 years ago and he's already addicted. He regrets it now, but can't do anything about it. He tried quitting, but only managed to stay away from cigarettes for a few months.

Check out thetruth.com for some facts about the filthy tobacco-industry. Pass that url to every smoker. Smoking really kills and cigarettes make you pay A LOT of money for your own death.

I have a similar story. I have a friend whose father passed away 3

weeks before mine did, from lung cancer. I don't think he ever smoked

but he worked in a laundromat when he was a teen, and they worked

with some pretty fucked up chemicals. Anyway, he started smoking pot

to get over, and got pretty hooked. Recently, I learned he's moved into

chain smoking... and I don't think he even realizes the irony of it.

Sorry to put this in your thread Kabar, but I hope this serves as an

illustration of some sort for those kids who smoke consistently and don't

realize they're sucking their lives out through paper straws

Archived