MY KID STARTED COLLEGE TODAY

KaBar

She's up at University of Texas at Austin, along with 55,000 other bright-eyed college students. Her mother is upset and grieving. It's pretty scarey, leaving your almost-grown-up child alone in a strange city hundreds of miles away. I'm sure she'll do okay, everybody has to grow up sometime. But it's still pretty scarey.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest KillahPriest

If i ever have a kid im keeping it isolated until its 18 and then letting it out in the world and following it around so i can laugh my ass off by its every move.

Undeclared major, but she has lots of time for that. The first couple of years is the same old stuff for everybody, really, anyway. Engish composition, etc. She was a dedicated dancer until this summer--ballet, jazz, character, tap, the whole deal. But I think she's ready for something else. I'm advocating a Business major, her mother wants Law. Whatever, as long as she gets a degree that can help her become an educated woman. Truth be told, it barely matters what kind of undergraduate degree one seeks. I could go for History, then Law, or Economics, then Business. Either way, though, it's not my life. She gets to make her own mistakes and she gets to deal with the consequences thereof. It's all about "becoming an adult."

If she chooses a degree in Sociology or Psychology, I think she will regret it, though. Engineering would be good, Law would be good, Business would be good. Computer Science would be good. Sociology, political science, psychology---nope, I wouldn't choose those disciplines. Not much money in them, and too much bullshit hassle and whining. Same goes for a degree in Education. Anywhere the liberals dominate (sociology, for instance) you can expect everybody you deal with to have an entitled attitude. That's a drag to deal with day-after-day.

Guest imported_Tesseract

No offence but you're generalising things hard...liberals and not...where is money and not.

I dont think anyone is able to make money of his work unless he's good at it therefore he really enjoys it...That should be the first priority for all and the best ticket to money if not anything else

Tesseract---No flame, but I am a registered nurse. It pays more money than I ever thought I'd see in my life, but I have a friend who went to business school, and he is, WITHOUT A DOUBT, no smarter than I am, and he makes about double the money I make. I suppose one could say that if I was willing to do what is necessary, I could be bringing down that $32 an hour like some RN's do. (That works out to be about $65,000 a year) but I make about $21 an hour, and that works out to around $42,000 or so. My partner is making over $80,000 a year. And whining about how he's not getting paid what he's worth.

40 hours a week x 52 weeeks = 2,080 work hours/ year. 2,080 x hourly wage = gross annual wages. GAW x 68%= approximate take home pay, roughly.

Bottom line is "ya oughta go to college." If ya don't, it's going to cost ya. Before I became a nurse, I was barely making it economically. Becoming college educated meant a whole lot better lifestyle. I make about 30% more than caseworkers or therapists make, where I work. A degree in Sociology translates (generally) to about $14 or $15 a hour. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on where you can find a job. Teachers, counselors, therapists, nurses--none of us is getting paid anywhere near the value of our contribution to society.

Guest THEdude
Originally posted by rip

doesnt beat the air force payin for your college though. suckas.

financial aid sucka!

beat that, no air force, just a nice check

:)

Guest imported_Tesseract

fair enough,

i was talking about studying

something that really interests you

but i see your point as well.

me and money have a fucked up relationship.

i did not grow up with much money. i had free lunches all through school... free latch key. wore the same clothes for years. i always had food to eat, and electricity, but that was about the only gurantee. despite all of that, i was fairly happy growing up, so i have a very difficult time looking at a potential career in terms of dollar signs. ill always take the fun job over the money job, because money was never stressed as being very important. this is making it very difficult for me to 'plan' my future, because i have no ability to plan. i take the days as they come and just enjoy it. and it seems everything i enjoy, isn't worth a whole hell of alot. what am i considering getting a degree in? haha, psychology, political science or teaching of some sort.

i dont know what im talking about. congratulations kabar, or perhaps congratualtions to your daughter. or maybe both of you.

what does she think of her dad hanging out on a graffiti message board?

FUCK COLLEGE YO......OVERATED AS FUCK AND CORRUPT....

IN THE 70S WE HAD THE BEST COLLEGE SYSTEM IN THE WORLD

NOW WE GOT THE BIGGEST PRISON SYSTEM. COLLEGE IS MOSTLY RICH AND WHITE.

MY STEPSISTER WENT TO COLLEGE GOT HER BA AND WENT BACK FOR ANOTHER......BITCH IS PAYING OUT THE ASS WHILE IM CLOCKIN ALMOST 40 GRAND A YEAR WITHOUT EVEN ATTENDING 70% OF MY HIGHSCHOOL EDUCATION.

MY LITTLE SISTER IS PAYING LOOT LIKE NO OTHER ON LOAN INDEBTING HERSELF FOR YEARS TO COME WHEN SHE HAD INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE.

YALL MOTHERFUCKERS CAN SIT IN COLLEGE AND PAY OUT THE ASS TO LEARN...OR YOU CAN HANDLE YOUR SHIT AND CLOCK GRANDS.

DONT GET ME WRONG I SUPPORT EDUCATION....

ITS JUST I MAKE MORE WITHOUT IT, THE TIME, THE DEBT AND THE HIGHSCHOOL PREPTARD BULLSHIT.....THAT UNTIL I FIGURE OUT WHAT I NEED FROM THAT RACIST SYSTEM........AND IT IS RACIST THEY SPEND WAY MORE ON LOCKING UP NONVIOLENT OFFENDERS...THAT ILL KEEP CLOCKING GRANDS WHILE YOU MOTHER FUCKERS CHEER AT FRAT BANDSTANDS.

GLASSEATER/GOT HIS BUZZON.

Just don't be clockin' no grands up in the penitentiary, GlassEtch. Everybody has their own way of getting by. I struggled for years to make it with a high-school diploma and a couple of very worthwhile skills. I'm here to tell you, they don't pay for how hard you work. They pay for how much responsibility you will take. I can weld anything. My mistake was in trying to work for wages. I should have opened my own business MANUFACTURING SOMETHING. Duh! I built concrete trailers, dump beds, repaired heavy equipment, etc., etc., and could barely feed my family. I could have been welding aluminum sailboat hulls and making the profit. The problem was MY ATTITUDE. I was extremely hard headed.

If a guy doesn't want to be educated, it's all good. I'm cool with it. But I raised my girl from the time she could speak, to understand that GOING TO COLLEGE is the only worthwhile goal, because both her mother and I foolishly dropped out of college as young-20's adults, and had to scabble hard to do it as 40's-adults. My daughter had NO MEMORY of her parents not being in college. We started when she was about three or so, and we didn't both finish until she was about 12. It was a long, long, LONG uphill battle, for two drop-outs with responsibilities and a child, to go back to school. But as my wife put it to me, "Okay, so what are you going to be doing four years from now if you DON'T go to college?" Good point.

Without going to college, I would not have been able to afford to support my daughter so that she could go. There's more to it than just money. It's away of thinking about "being an educated person."

And as for me hanging out on a graffitti board, she just shakes her head. "Only my Dad could be so eccentric." She throws my adolescence up to me all the time when I scold her. "Hey! At least I'm not out bumming around and RIDING TRAINS, like you did when you were my age!" What can I say? She's right.

NAHHHHH KABAR...

IM LEGIT AS FUCK DOGGY DOG. I CLOCK MORE THAN MY MOMS AND MY DADS COMBINED RIGHT NOW OFF A G E MOTHAFUCKIN D.

YOU WOULD TRIP.

I WORKED FOR FOUR YEARS GOT PAID LOOT AND MORE LOOT EVERY JOB CHANGE AND NOW I GOT JOB SKILLS WITH W2S SHOWIN WHAT I MADE INSTEAD OF A LOAN PAYMENT EVERYMONTH.

Dropone

Everybody has to find their own path. I went to the Marines to find out if I was made of the right stuff, and using the Marine Corps as an example of excellence, then I found that I was excellent. Some people want to be a warrior, some don't. I learned a lot about myself and inner self discipline. There is nothing I cannot do, and I literally mean nothing , if I set my mind to it. I have never found a single thing I tried since I joined the Corps, to be insurmountable. That alone was worth whatever time I spent there. I know what is is to be the pointed end of the spear. Not everybody wants to know that. As my young brother Marines put it, so crassly and so succinctly, "We are life takers and heart breakers." And that is absolutely no shit. They say that "Once a Marine, always a Marine." I believe that right down in my soul. It ain't for everybody.

yeah. fuck parents who find it their obligation to send their kids off to college.

i came up in a college town. college kids are corrupt as fuck. at least 40% have not earned the right to have a higher education.

i know so many cats that need to go to college but cant.

its fucked up.

if your kid goes to college Mr. Kabar. Please exercise your parental skills and insure that she either takes time off if need be or decides real quick what shes about to handle on the long term. cause that shit is expensive as fuck as im sure you know.

and what i mean is fuck my parents for being blind in sending my sister off to college at a huge expense to themselfes and her.......when she aint gonna make shit when she gets out. fuck that shit. if yous about it...raise your kid correct and your all good to go.

fuck the parental morals insituted by mainstream society over the last 30 years. thats what i meant to say. fuck the rich being the only ones that can afford to send the majority of their demographics to higher education.

and further more...

peep this shit........

7th biggest economy in the world

BIGGEST PRISON SYSTEM IN THE WORLD

AND ALL OF THE WORST SCHOOLS THAT WONT EVEN GET YOU CLOSE TO READY ARE LOCATED IN THE POVERTY STRICKEN MOSTLY MINORITY DISTRICTS.

FUCK A COLLEGE EDUCATION

IT AINT SHIT BUT PAPER FOR PAPER.

but thats just me.

Archived