Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

MY KID STARTED COLLEGE TODAY

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by KaBar, Aug 24, 2002.

1. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

She's up at University of Texas at Austin, along with 55,000 other bright-eyed college students. Her mother is upset and grieving. It's pretty scarey, leaving your almost-grown-up child alone in a strange city hundreds of miles away. I'm sure she'll do okay, everybody has to grow up sometime. But it's still pretty scarey.

2. rip

rip Elite Member

FIRST. woohoo. yeah congrats on sendin her to college.

3. Congrats man, what is she in to?

4. THEdude

THEdude Guest

cool, I went to that university just to check it out, it was pretty cool

beats community college:D

5. KillahPriest

KillahPriest Guest

If i ever have a kid im keeping it isolated until its 18 and then letting it out in the world and following it around so i can laugh my ass off by its every move.

6. rip

rip Elite Member

doesnt beat the air force payin for your college though. suckas.

7. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

Undeclared major, but she has lots of time for that. The first couple of years is the same old stuff for everybody, really, anyway. Engish composition, etc. She was a dedicated dancer until this summer--ballet, jazz, character, tap, the whole deal. But I think she's ready for something else. I'm advocating a Business major, her mother wants Law. Whatever, as long as she gets a degree that can help her become an educated woman. Truth be told, it barely matters what kind of undergraduate degree one seeks. I could go for History, then Law, or Economics, then Business. Either way, though, it's not my life. She gets to make her own mistakes and she gets to deal with the consequences thereof. It's all about "becoming an adult."
    If she chooses a degree in Sociology or Psychology, I think she will regret it, though. Engineering would be good, Law would be good, Business would be good. Computer Science would be good. Sociology, political science, psychology---nope, I wouldn't choose those disciplines. Not much money in them, and too much bullshit hassle and whining. Same goes for a degree in Education. Anywhere the liberals dominate (sociology, for instance) you can expect everybody you deal with to have an entitled attitude. That's a drag to deal with day-after-day.

8. No offence but you're generalising things hard...liberals and not...where is money and not.
    I dont think anyone is able to make money of his work unless he's good at it therefore he really enjoys it...That should be the first priority for all and the best ticket to money if not anything else

9. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

Tesseract---No flame, but I am a registered nurse. It pays more money than I ever thought I'd see in my life, but I have a friend who went to business school, and he is, WITHOUT A DOUBT, no smarter than I am, and he makes about double the money I make. I suppose one could say that if I was willing to do what is necessary, I could be bringing down that $32 an hour like some RN's do. (That works out to be about $65,000 a year) but I make about $21 an hour, and that works out to around $42,000 or so. My partner is making over $80,000 a year. And whining about how he's not getting paid what he's worth.
    40 hours a week x 52 weeeks = 2,080 work hours/ year. 2,080 x hourly wage = gross annual wages. GAW x 68%= approximate take home pay, roughly.

Bottom line is "ya oughta go to college." If ya don't, it's going to cost ya. Before I became a nurse, I was barely making it economically. Becoming college educated meant a whole lot better lifestyle. I make about 30% more than caseworkers or therapists make, where I work. A degree in Sociology translates (generally) to about $14 or $15 a hour. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on where you can find a job. Teachers, counselors, therapists, nurses--none of us is getting paid anywhere near the value of our contribution to society.

10. THEdude

THEdude Guest

financial aid sucka!

beat that, no air force, just a nice check

:)

11. fair enough,

i was talking about studying
    something that really interests you
    but i see your point as well.

12. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

Tesseract---Hey, bud, "I feel ya." I started out in art school, back in 1975, then dropped out and among other things, joined the Marines. I still like to draw, but a guy has to eat.

13. THEdude

THEdude Guest

DAMN

hi dad:D

14. uncle-boy

uncle-boy Guest

wow you are old.

congrats to your daughter and good luck to you and your family!!