My first Flash animation.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Whoopeee.

The swf's freakin' huge right now, due to a series of 3D bitmaps that just got larger when turned into vectors, but the preloader should work fine for fast connections. 56k's should approach with caution... animation may lag during 3D scene. Hope you enjoy my debut into the world of animating, as stupid as it might be. Beer,

El Mamerro

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was all done in Flash and Illustrator, except the 3D part, which was the result of a 30-minute crash course on 3D Studiomax the night before the project was due (it was for class). We were supposed to do an animation showing some kind of visual explanation, and most people did very schematic, diagram animations in the "How To" fashion. I just wanted to make a dumb cartoon, so I was like "Yeah, this is an explanation of the process a naval vehicle goes through to eliminate its target...blah blah blah." And then I made a dumb cartoon. Teachers dug it cause it was more cinematic. Flash is fun. Thanks for feedback, I'm pretty new to this program. Beer,

El Mamerro

Not bad at all. It was kind of funny. The only thing was that the wireframe scene stalled and took about 3 minutes to complete itself.

My first flash animation was a Southpark version of the A-Team theme song. It was for a class I took a while back. I wish I still had a copy.

Guest HESHIANDET

dood, ive been on the flash nerd action scripting tip all week. you can cut your file sizes down by saving those scenes as individual movie clips etc tc etc etc etc

Alright, I fixed the preloader... Now it takes longer to load, but the movie doesn't start until all the 3D scene is loaded, so the animation plays smoothly once it starts.

Hesh, I'm getting into action scripting now too, and I can find tons of ways to make that animation smaller. Unfortunately, I'm kinda done with that and moving to another project dealing with interactivity. The thing is, the animation itself is actually no more than 500 kb, including sound and its 20 fps framerate. What makes it so large (2.43 MB) is that sequence of bitmaps used in the 3D wireframe scene; they take up 80% of the file size. I know 3D StudioMax has an export option to render the animation as a series of vector images, which would lower the size incredibly, but since I had no idea how to use that program except how to build primitives and set a camera on a spline (which my roomate taught to me in 20 minutes), I had to settle for exporting it as a sequence of bitmaps. Then once in Flash, I tried the Trace Bitmap option, but it sucked terribly (instead of generating lines, it generated areas of black and white with hundreds of vector points) and made the file even larger. My teacher promised to show me how to export it from StudioMax the right way, but he hasn't so far.

Dirty, the music at the end is a loop from the mall scene in "Dawn of the Dead". If you listen carefully you can hear a zombie groan.

And Brown, yeah, I did the sound too. Some sounds were straight sampled from Panacea's sound/noise collages with no editing needed, but most were sampled of random CD's and edited in SoundForge. I think doing the sound was the most fun part, I'm definitely gonna get more into that kind of stuff.

Bob, eat shit: "here's a blue paper with something written, and it's Asian-

and under it is a document by the Vestax corporation". On the rizzle. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest imported_Tesseract

hahaha Mammero, thats nice.

It took way more than a shitload and a half to load but anyway...

I really liked the litlle waves the torpedo caused on the water

tiri ti tin tiri ti tin tirititir tin tin...nice music haha.

Also i have a question for you into those things.

I am searching for a cartoon software that doesnt look like flash or max or any of those things.

I want the final clip to look real old school cartoonish kinda dirty,not so flat bright color with obsolete edges.

Any recomantations(sp?) ways to do that?

Thanks many of much for kindness of word.

Everytime I check it out, it pisses me off so much how long it takes to load. Especially since a 2.5 MB Quicktime video downloads in half a minute on this connection (Ethernet), but this fucking animation, which has the same size, takes like 3 minutes. I feel like closing the thread.

Anyways, Tesseract, what I would suggest is either Flash animation (where you can motion tween objects), or Corel Painter's animation functions (frame by frame drawing). I don't know of anything else. The thing is, after you do your animation in whatever program, you can render it as a Quicktime movie and put it through Adobe AfterEffects, where you can add filters to fuck it all up. Blur it, add grainyness, desaturate it, etc. Hope that helps somewhat. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest imported_Tesseract

Corel painter sounds nice, frame by frame can be a bitch but what can you do.

I am on 56k here, so dont sweat it, no need to close the thread

I am sure that everybody else has an endurable access.

Thanx

• 10 months later...
Guest angry xbox
Originally posted by El Mamerro

It was all done in Flash and Illustrator, except the 3D part, which was the result of a 30-minute crash course on 3D Studiomax the night before the project was due (it was for class). We were supposed to do an animation showing some kind of visual explanation, and most people did very schematic, diagram animations in the "How To" fashion. I just wanted to make a dumb cartoon, so I was like "Yeah, this is an explanation of the process a naval vehicle goes through to eliminate its target...blah blah blah." And then I made a dumb cartoon. Teachers dug it cause it was more cinematic. Flash is fun. Thanks for feedback, I'm pretty new to this program. Beer,

El Mamerro

not bad brotha

keep it up!!

Guest --zeSto--

I really like the skull on the box'o'torpedoes.

two things about the continuity:

First you see the outline of the boat and it's bow is to the right.

Then when the torp approaches it, it looks like it's facing left.

In the 'areial' view of the sub, it looks like the sub is floating sideways in the water.

those are my two points.

Other than that it's absolutely incredible for a first effort.

beer and cheers!

Archived