Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

My confusion on hip hop

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Polysonic, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Polysonic

Polysonic New Jack

maybe i dont have the same outlook on hip hop as the rest of the world.

as i know graffiti, MC'ing, Dj'ing, and Break Dancing all came from different sources. and i know they'll all branch out into different Cultures.
    What confuses me, is how long are these things going to be considered hip hop?
    Where is the line between "hip hop" turntablism and other forms of turntablism drawn?
    where is the line of hip hop graffiti and other forms of graffiti drawn?
    and so on and so forth.
    Hip hop is an extremley difficult culture for me to understand, there are so many things people just dont like considering to be hip hop (are raves hip hop? i mean, theres turntablism, mc'ing and breakdancing going on at 'em, yet many of the
    'true' hip hop kids dont hesitate to make fun of them)

if i made up a color scheme and a good way to present it, using a large wall as my median. would that be considered graffiti art?
    what about if i used words in my piece? would that be considered graffiti art?
    or just large median painting?
    what is considered graffiti art?

i think i'll do that, go to a legal wall and just remake one of my computer designs on the wall, i'll see how many people do and dont consider it hip hop.

im still confused

2. TOY

TOY New Jack

everyone has their own take on this. some say none of it go in the same category and some say they do. ive always thought cuz ones before me always said these are the 4 elements of hiphop: MCing, DJing, graffiti, and breakdancing. i still think of it as one whole culture but others will kill me for saying that.

3. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

yea i'm confused too...
    i mean...4 elements? what ever happened to
    beat boxing? shouldn't that be 5?:crazy:
    mc's battle. bboy's battle. dj's battle. graffers battle.
    beat 'boxers' battle. where's the line that says beat boxing
    isn't/shouldn't be an element?
    and what about dress code?? wouldn't that
    make it 6?? dress code should mos def be an element...
    i've seen doods battle for dopest
    'ice' ensemble....flyest 'wally's'...most bangin' towel accessorizing...:dazed: :crazy:
    hip hop...what the fuckin' nizzlo is it?

4. MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega Veteran Member

BLING BLING!

No but seriously, Rave and club DJs are not turntablism. Turntablism is basically using the turntable as an instrument, Scratching - Invisibl skratch piklz, that is turntablism. Club Djs are Djs, they play and mix records.

Graffiti is so not hip hop, exspecially if you paint frieghts.

5. TEARZ

TEARZ Guest

whatever dude. djs are djs are djs.

6. George Dubyah Bush

George Dubyah Bush Senior Member

fuck everything and labels.

Just do your own thing and have fun with it man. Rap sucks anyways.

Now for my mindless chowder statement:

hahaha, most of rap currently sucks anyway. c'mon face it. Hip hop culture? pshhhhh, jesus its a bunch of bullcrap for overgrown teenagers and propagando to sell t shirts. haha, whatever.

Just do your own thing and do what you beleive in. simple as that.
    I'm tired of hip hop threads already.

7. MR BOJANGLES

MR BOJANGLES Guest

THE 6TH ELEMENT IS...POOP! shhhhhh! dont tell those guys!

8. wanker

wanker New Jack

i knew a guy that was convinced skateboarding was an element of hiphop. we got into a heated debate about it. it became this big ordeal of right and wrong and hiphop past present and future and he got so upset that he denounced hiphop altogether. then i fucked him. :crazy:

9. graf-freely!

graf-freely! Member

If you look at history graffiti has always been grouped with hip hop.This pisses some people off.The way I see it is the hip hop culture of long ago(80searly90s)has always recognized graffiti as art and privided a venue for that talent to be expressed.Look at Style Wars,Wild Style,Beat streat,hell even Breakin.Every time hip hop has been documented and they mention the 4 elements graff is mentioned.but now a days graffwriters are moving away because the hip hop culture is soo corrupt due mostly to shitty rap music about gun toting thugs,and a lot of writers getting used and not being compensated. Now a days every idiot and his brother wears a graffiti t-shirt.This was never the intent for hip hop.From back in the Zulu Nation days the whole point was for kids to do their talent and express them selves nonviolently,if they had a disagreement to handle it nonviolently.But the hip hop culture has been so abused and corrupted I can not even begin to go int it.Turntableism is a skill and it is hard to do! Djing ang turntableism are different.Beatboxing is considered an element as well as crate digging(looking for good records).Look at other countrys like Germany,their hip hop scene is bumpin.Look at Canada they have one of the dopest hip hop scenes right now in my opinion.

The important thing is not to get caught up in the politics and have fun!!Make this what you want it to be for you!

10. wanker

wanker New Jack

the hiphop culture of "long ago" i think goes back even a decade furthur than that. but i dont want to start one of those who founded the movement discussions because those never go anywhere.

11. graf-freely!

graf-freely! Member

well i know graffiti goes back further than that.(caveman days)

12. graf-freely!

graf-freely! Member

while we are on the subject ....I was reading the source like a month ago and they had an interveiw in ther with Lady Pink. and she said graffiti has nothing to do with hip hop that its always been its own culture.If she feels this way why would she agree to be in a movie like Wild Stlyle where it shows graffiti as "part of the culture"? jus wondering?

13. GorbortOrman

GorbortOrman Guest

The 4 elements of SHIP HOP:

Jump
    Swim
    Tread
    Drown

14. HAL

HAL Guest

It's all a money making scheme. Wear this and buy this and listen to this and you'll belong. It plays on the insecurities of young people. Hip hop just happens to be the selling angle most attached with graffiti.

15. serum

serum Elite Member

hip hop is like the equivalent to santa. there is no such no thing. there might have been an attempt to make it a movement but its clearly not a movement. there is no structure there is not founding philosophy. its just a term for people to use and feel down. i'm hip hop yo.

graffiti is graffiti djing is djing. they have little to do with hip hop in my opinion.