MUSIC

Guest imported_Tesseract

Guest imported_Tesseract

Lately i'm thinking about music,

my music collection, the music industry, the RIAA and the whole deal of obtaining music for free or not via a computer...lets see

First of all, MP3's...i wasnt big on mp3's while on 56k...after having a fast connection i started dling stuff only to found out that i dont want anything below 192 kbps...it just sucks ass...i mean its alright when i listen to stuff from my computer but when that shit is burned on an audio cd and played on a proper system, it seriously lacks depth.

Before dling music i was just borrwing cd's from friends and copy them or even buy a cd from places that allow you to open them, hear them and trade them with something else if you dont like....for every cd bought, 4 were copied. As far as quality goes theres no flaw in that, however...i really enjoy quality booklets, printed disks and classy cd publications. I cant tolerate the idea that an album i really dig lies on my collection with no booklets, no dope covers and of course no $ support from me to the band.

The options are poor, you can scan/print the whole thing but you will never reach the glossy/professional feeling the original has. Furthermore, when dling from the net you dont even have access to that material.

I still concider unethical to 'steal' music but definatelly less unethical than the 18-22 euro price tag on every mainstream/new album out there....to keep it short i have no problem downloading music as long as i feel i support small groups and labels.

The non mainstream shit i listen too (mostly jazz and electronic stuff) run somewhere around 7-9 euros, a price i'm more willing to pay...anything above 15 gets dowloaded...thats my rule.

On a sidenote i always keep copies of all my cd's for taking with me on the car, vacations and places where they'll end up either lost or torn apart...i use NERO6 and its mp3pro tool for reencoding.

discuss

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

steal music the old fashioned way

um, the computer has taken over my CD collection as what i listen to most often, although i've been listening to a couple new CDs for the past couple of days, i had most of the songs on my computer, but i wanted the genuine article, so i spotted 'em on Ebay and grabbed them up. i went through a hassle trying to buy them new on Amazon.com, but that's a story in itself. i think i will obtain an MP3 player some time. what i do, is i look up a group i like on allmusic.com, and it shows similair groups, so i click groups i'm not familiar with, download, and so forth.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I was reading some reviews for this Fennesz album, and I remember one of them talked aboout how nice it was that the publishers took the time and effort to make the CD liner notes (which had photographs by Jon Wozencroft) beautiful enough to make the physical object worth owning as opposed to downloading the music digitally. I thought it was a very interesting observation.

I've always been a sucker for liner notes, but since my last physical CD purchase (over a year ago) I can't say I miss them that much. I have a little pile in a drawer with all the liner notes of the albums I own, which I can't bear to throw away.

That said, I'm glad that legal music downloading is finally catching on with the iTunes Music Store. I find myself using it more and more over free p2p's... I think 99¢ is a good price to pay considering the service, speed, and ease-of-use of the store. Still, iTunes accounts for maybe 1 out of 5 of my music downloads. It has been suggested to Apple to slash the prices down to 39¢, since it could make up for it in bulk. I agree, if songs were around the 30¢ range I'd abandon p2p's completely and buy a lot more music.

I'm not sure if the cost of bandwidth and internet services necessary for digital music distribution rivals the cost of designing, printing, manufacturing, and shipping of physical albums, but I'm guessing it's not as high. It's only natural that the single-song price dips down to reflect this.

ungh.... I have to Dj a friend's wedding in 6 weeks.

He's setting me up with decks and a mixer and I think I'll bring a laptop with MP3's just so when I need to walk away for a bit I can do so with ease. Maybe a component style CD tray too just for requests or whatever. I'm a little worried about pulling it off. There's nothing like a bad Dj to ruin the mood. However he's not asking for much... "if it's quite, toss on the James Brown".

haha... and I'll get my girlfriend to teach me how to beat match!!!

:nerd:

Guest BROWNer

word to mammy..if there's any umbrella entity deserving of the full

cost of their 'product', its the touch label. practically everyone on

the label is touched by genius, and jon wozencroft is just plain the

fucking man.

i've always been a huge fan of 'documents'..things that obviously

took time, intelligence and creativity and have a real tangible beauty

or originality to them. when digipak's came out for cd's i shit myself. they should

be law and jewel cases should be destroyed from the face of the earth.

this is why i will still pay $20-$40 for certain artists/labels, you can just tell

they put alot of effort into it and they deserve every penny(not to mention they're

probably barely breaking even from such endeavours).

that said, my dl habits are almost strictly hiphop and i feel literally zero

shame for it.

Guest BROWNer

i think that's what they're called..

its like a cd booklet. they usually have a soft,

quality matte finish, no plasic ass shit..

like a mini lp in digi format.

I'm pretty shameless when it comes to downloading music, but i still make sure to buy on some occassions. For one thing, i always try to buy the cds from the smaller bands or local bands when i see them play, cuz i know a lot of the guys and i also know that people buying their cds and shirts is the only profit/payback they're getting for all the touring/recording/etc that they're doing.

Guest BROWNer
Originally posted by Tesseract

they're are dope...

yes they're are..

...but can you find blank ones

probably.

:crazy:

People keep trying to rip my music and I'm all like "Hey look these motherfuckers aint rich and famous. They need the support of their fans... " And they are like "whatever". Has ripping music become that much of a plague? It's pretty fucked up cause mostly all I do is work with media and now I have to worry even more about my shit getting fucking gaffled that's fucked up. Guess it's time to focus more on hardware...

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by BROWNer

probably.

:crazy:

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :tongue:

I haven't bought a cd in at least 2 years,

but I have discovered so much wonderful

music, via the internet.

I would love more than anything, to be able

to go buy all these cds but;

a) I can't afford $15 for a single cd, when

they're are so many that I enjoy.

B) a lot of them are harder to find, which

means I gotta drive downtown (or find the

right website) and pay a few bucks more.

Guest BROWNer

...would you say those are somewhat printable?

probably not.

:dazed:

Guest BROWNer

seriously, you'd have to have a pretty ill home printer for them.

i imagine commercial printing would be expensive as hell, and

one offs with quality would be rare....

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Heavy matte paper + Xacto knife + spray mount + blank digipak = ghettofabulousness

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by El Mamerro

Heavy matte paper + Xacto knife + spray mount + blank digipak = ghettofabulousness

fuckinA, we're on the same page...now, tell me you're using HP's heavy matte bright wight double sided paper...best paper EVER

my printer is photorealistic level

HUD

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by BROWNer

extra +: illustrator cd label template, cd label sticker paper, and a cd stomper.

i have serious problems with that...it always seems sloppy better than nothing of course.

On a sidenote, verbatim has those kick ass painted white cd's that their surface is printable and HP has a dope printer that can print directly on the cd surface...killer

Guest BROWNer

photorealistic? that is def HUD.

my girl is buying a printer this week..

methinks it will suck most asses.

maybe i should intervene..

Guest imported_Tesseract

dude, get on aim msn or something and i'll guide you...you cant imagine how dope an inkjet can be

Archived