Music Theory Question

Dick Quickwood

mel·o·dy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ml-d)

n. pl. mel·o·dies

1. A pleasing succession or arrangement of sounds.

2. Musical quality: the melody of verse.

3. Music.

1. A rhythmically organized sequence of single tones so related to one another as to make up a particular phrase or idea.

2. Structure with respect to the arrangement of single notes in succession.

3. The leading part or the air in a composition with accompaniment.

4. A poem suitable for setting to music or singing.

can anyone verbally explain how notes can convey an idea?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i'm a put it like this:

i have found that -tone and scale always set a mood(happy/ sad) -tempo suggests the intensity of the story being told.

-pitch changes mark signifigant events in a story

you have to remember, the composer of the music is the one trying to tell a story here, wether or not you understand the message is unimportant, you job is to simply hear it, not nessecarily understand it.<-tell that to your teacher

Your root note/key is your thesis. Notes are the letters needed to make up the words required to effectively convey your proposed idea. Notes when joined form chords, which are in effect your words. The progression of your chords sets your theme the same way one would sequence words to give an idea a consistant feel.

Meter serves as the conjunction for these words and allows them to be conveyed... conjunctions are necessary to effectively convey ideas as meter is the primary component of sound to form music. Meter (tempo,bpm) is the amount of sentences allowed in each paragraph (measure), and the paragraphs are formatted cohesively to form a unit of text (song/grand melody).

A series of texts (songs) arranged to be read (played) in a certain order is a master index (symphony/album).

That probably only makes sense to me.

Edit: yeah, there's some flaws to the logic of this but I'm fucking lazy right now.

Guest sneak
Originally posted by 8onus@Apr 13 2005, 02:11 PM

you have to remember, the composer of the music is the one trying to tell a story here, wether or not you understand the message is unimportant, you job is to simply hear it, not nessecarily understand it.<-tell that to your teacher

what about the idea that the audience draws their own meanings from the piece. what the author is trying to say is irrelevant. everyone who listens to the tune will get different feelings / ideas / emotions from it...

I heard this documentary on the radio once where this guy was going around with an electronic tuner deducing what chords electrical devices put out (like refridgerators and microwaves and fans) He felt that if your refridgerator was putting out a Cmin it could affect your mental health. Apparently the catholic church made a list of all the chords and their associated emotional releavence. I need to find that.

Guest westy

The idea gotten from the feeling notes convey is subjective. Because notes are variations in tones that can be sequenced much like events in life....highs and lows. Rhythm. IE: If the feeling/idea were to be one of a dire situation the tempo may be quicker; like the heartbeat of a person experiencing a stressfull situation. maybe??

another thing is that it's all so fucking subjective. i mean, the blues are based around dominant seventh chords. dominant sevenths are supposed to sound sad. they don't sound fucking sad to me. especially a C7. that sounds fucking FUN to me. more fun than most chords. all the theory in the world won't be able to explain why an A minor sounds sad. to others, though, it might not sound sad. especially in a jazzy context surrounded by major sevenths. an A minor is often refreshing in a jazzy bit in C major. musical theory is almost entirely context to me. which is why i don't trust it entirely. i fucking love to study it, though. we need a musical theory superthread.