murder city devils...

fr8oholic

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i didnt go because...uh...its far away...right?

i'm a boston dink. i woud have had to travel and i dont think i would travel to go to an event like that. even if i did go, no one would know i was there because I AM SECRET AND SCARY LIKE THAT WOOWOWOW!

word to the peaceborngods, kid

Ex-Murder City Devils Bandmates Form Dead Low Tide

Don't feel too bad over the breakup last fall of Seattle's haunted punk rockers the Murder City Devils. Four former MCD members and one from Enemymine have formed Dead Low Tide, whose abrasive punk rock sound is enhanced by new wave and art-rock influences.

Thanks to the distinct and easily identifiable howls of ex-MCD lead singer Spencer Moody, Dead Low Tide's loud, edgy sound is reminiscent of his previous band. But subtract the spooky organ and add ex-Enemymine and godhead Silo bassist Mike Kunka, along with a new combination of influences and a more noisy, broken approach to songwriting, and the result is a sound both fresh and inspired. "We want to be our own band," Dead Low Tide guitarist Nate Manny explained. "So we're trying hard to use different types of sounds — more modern sounding, more new wave-y.

"We're not a classic rock sound, we're more hard-edged and angular," Manny, 29, added. "Our stuff is more Devo, Joy Division, Spaceman Three — more drone-y."

Dead Low Tide — Manny, Moody, Kunka, drummer Cody Willis and Gabe the roadie — have not yet released any recordings, but currently have an MP3 available on their Web site and will been selling a tour-only 7" at shows. The group concludes its first tour on April 6 at the Chop Suey in Seattle; they go out with The Melvins for a month of dates in May. Manny said he felt fortunate that DLT could headline their first tour. "We are lucky in the sense that a lot of people want to know what we're doing," Manny admits. "But, at the same time, we're a new band, so we definitely are in a privileged situation to start with. It's a much different way to start a band."

The band formed about four months ago, and there is no timetable for a first album. "We'd love to put out a record as soon as possible and be touring for an album, but it's just not time yet," Manny explained.

He added that he and his bandmates "don't expect anything [based on their track record]. We know we're gonna have to work just like any other band to actually make anything happen. We're not gonna be able to show up and be handed a platter of good fortune."

The group hopes that MCD fans will adjust to the new group's sound. "People are gonna be disappointed because we're not gonna sound like the Murder City Devils, but I hope that they like what we're doing now," Manny said. "When we were in that band that we had defined a sound; [now] we have to define a sound for our new band.

"The people that liked our old band, if they liked us as people, I would hope that they are happy for us, to see us having fun again," Manny continued. "I think this band is good, and I want people to see it and hear it and I hope they like it."

Meanwhile, ex-MCD bassist Derek Fudesco is concentrating fully on what was previously a long-term side project: Pretty Girl Make Graves. The group created a buzz lately with its trashy post-punk sound. Led by the sultry, staccato singing of Andrea Zollo (Fudesco's girlfriend) atop erratic melodies, the Seattle five-piece has been compared to such bands as Fugazi and At the Drive-In. PGMG released a four-song, self-titled EP (Dim Mak Records) and a Sub Pop Singles Club 7" earlier this year and will see its first album, Good Health, released on Lookout! Records on April 9. — Jenny Tatone [Tuesday, April 2, 2002]

Guest ilikeskulls.

haven't heard dead low tide...but murder city rocked it....all the bands that those guys have been in were great..death wish kids,area 51...all fucking destroyed.i saw the death wish kids a few times...one of the best punk bands ever...there singer is in pretty girls make graves now...as is the bass player murder city devils...

blah blah blah.

Guest ilikeskulls.

oh and area 51 has the singer of murder city devils singing and the girl from death wish kids,pretty girls make graves also singing...he sounds like the singer of filth or some other crust type band..

the first time i saw murder city.......the singer looked like drew carey. the last show they played in my area , he wasnt looking like drew anymore, the keyboardist broad was chain smoking and playing, and the drummer lit his cymbals on fire, it rocked! i havent heard dead low tide yet, but ive heard pretty girls make graves. theyre alrite........

• 7 years later...

Archived