1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

multicultural scene

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Tremble, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Tremble

Tremble New Jack

multicultural scene

Discussion started by Tremble - Jan 27, 2005

This is a topic thats been troubling me for sometime...dont mind me while i go quasi intellectual...I havent been writing long less than a year maybe but the culture of my town (somewhere in england) and the scene seem so much different to that of new york or even manchster... espiecially the race issue...in my town their was only ever 2 black writers, which is strange to me and 99% of the writers in my town are white...but as a supposed element of hip hop (a black/ puerto rican street culture)
    many people in my town have come to persieve graffiti as something done by ethnic groups many of my pen tags on buses and in various places have been commented on underneath by such things as "nigger shit"...its this narrow mindedness that pisses me off, not just by members of the drunken redneck public, but by other writers as well...is this the same in your town/city? is graffiti multiculturial anymore?...ive asked some of my writing mates what they would think to a black writer...most of the response is "he'd intimidate everyone and cross everything" which is basically not standing up for graffiti as freedom of words....i thought it bridged divides in culture..
    but what can i say maybe i just live in a town full of racists.
    maybe graffiti is only for ex-skaters and rudeboys....
    any thoughts>>>

Tremble - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. trackstand

trackstand 12oz Senior Member

trackstand - Replied Jan 27, 2005

:rolleyes:

Closed?

trackstand - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  3. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

Abracadabra - Replied Jan 27, 2005

the longer the police/local government in your town think it's "nigger shit" the longer your lilly white ass is going to get away with it.

embrace the stereotypes and narrow-mindedness....they work in our favour

Abracadabra - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  4. illestpapoe!!!!

illestpapoe!!!! 12oz Junior Member

illestpapoe!!!! - Replied Jan 28, 2005

why would they blame niggers more than in any other city especially if you say that there are virtually no niggers that paint?

maybe i misread your post or sometihng.. i am going to read it again

illestpapoe!!!! - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  5. dalin

dalin New Jack

dalin - Replied Jan 28, 2005

He did also happen to mention "maybe i just live in a town full of racists.". And just because he quoted someone on saying "nigger shit" doesn't give you free reign to be weilding that all willy-nilly.

I guess what ABC said is true though. It does work to your advantage. When I was living with my folks back in high school I probably only knew 1 or 2 other black writers, but that was probably more a function of where we lived. What portion of the general population do Black people make up in your town?

In the less anonymous elements of hip-hop (emcees, dj's) race did, and to a lesser extent today does, play a factor whether subconsciously or, with some people, through an obvertly racist mindset. The anonymity of graff doesn't open it up to those frictions as much. But individual experiences vary. Just because someone is into hip-hop doesn't mean they have a progressive/positive outlook on culture and race.

In my personal experience I've also come across more Hispanic breakers than others; perhaps having to do with the influences of Brazilian capoeria (sp?) on the styles, or major role models in the element (many of Rock Steady being Latino).

Interesting topic though. I wonder if someone could gather statistics or something on the subject. It would be interesting to see the beakdown.

dalin - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  6. test

test 12oz Junior Member

test - Replied Jan 28, 2005

don't interpret this as racism at all, but
    here in my town, because of several generations of racism, prejiduce, discrimination and segregation, many black kids here tend to be pretty dumb. it is not their fault, but simply the product of socio-economic factors beyond the control of most individuals. The idea behind it I guess is, if you're parents grew up the ghetto, never had good education, you're born into a poor home in a bad part of town, poor schools, etc, all the factors are going to likely leave you in the situation you started in. Thus said, most black males in the teenage plus years here are invovled with gangs and stuff, so most of the black "writers" just do gang tags. the writing scene here iss really small anyway. the whole real hip hop scene is.

test - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages: