mulholland drive

Guest chicken bone

Guest chicken bone

can someone please explain this movie to me? im so confused.. and scared.

*ok anyone who hasnt seen the movie (or trying to figure it out by themselves) already beware because there are supposed 'spoilers' ahead. word is bond.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest chicken bone

haha oops my bad, dont worry you wont understand anything anyways.. well i finished it like 5 minutes ago and im very dumb-founded.

Guest --zeSto--

ok... so this might spoil a bit if you haven't seen it.

so you know at the end how the two girls are a couple, and the blond's acting a little carzy and jealous?

Well that's the reality of the story.

She's been chewed up and spit out by Hollywood.

So the entire begining is pure fantasy. She dreams of meeing and being seduced by her current lover.

She dreams of having a 'film legend' as an aunt.

she's haunted by insanity (the old people)

but terrified of reality (the scarry looking man in black)

I still dont really get the blue cube. I think it's a hat tip to Vincenzo Natali (Cube)

but all this may be wrong... but it's the most common theory out there.

Guest chicken bone

i was thinking (actually i read it somewhere, but lets pretend it was because of a wonderfully clever brain fart) that the blue cube is something of a pandoras box, or as in the human mind, the yearning to delve in vice.

that could explain those randy lesbian scenes. and all those cool cars.

haha ok nevermind.

maybe to engage in the act of vice while inhibiting your true desires or talents leads to bad acting gigs.

why then, was the blond girl not present when camilla opened the box for the first time???

this movie is too weird... who are those italian brothers? who is the hitman? why do i feel so stupid?

Guest --zeSto--

^ no they wern't. (to the guy who said they were then deleted his post)

But that's a great way to spoil the movie.

Ghosts dont masturbate or have steamy lesbo sex, but they do!*

*40+ 12oz users will be renting the flick tonigh because of that.

Guest chicken bone

ok so building on zesto's theory maybe each one of the characters (excluding director, camilla, etc...) represents a delusional part of blond girls mind. such as those demanding italian brothers.. or the violent but clumsy hitman. all of these are fantasies arent they? the first dude who got killed by the hitman was making fun of a story involving 'car crashes'.. could that be interfering with her amnesia fantasy?

ok

Guest --zeSto--

well it seems that I was part right.... here's a spoiler I found (one that makes sence)

Okay, what was this all about? Well, it took two viewings to figure out this much: Everything that happened in the final quarter of the film, starting with the opening of the bluebox, actually happened. Diane was a burned-out actress who longed for Camilla, who left Diane for the hip director Adam. Diane did hire the hitman to kill Camilla, and the hit did happen. Diane's guilt (symbolized by the elderly couple) drove her to kill herself. After she shot herself, Diane then had a dream (which is quite odd after shooting herself) that was the first three-quarters of the film. She imagined herself as Betty (from the waitress' nametag), an aspiring actress who is beautiful and impresses directors at auditions. She also dreamt that the hit on Camilla did not go down as planned, and that Camilla suffered amnesia, relying on Diane to help her. Diane also imagined Adam as an unlucky guy, with mobsters on his back, his wife in bed with another man, and no money. Adam is also not too impressed with Camilla, or at least the dream version of Camilla. As for everything else? Well, this is a David Lynch film, and basically, any theories one has about his films remain as such, because Lynch never provides clear answers about his films.

Guest --zeSto--

yeah.. the usual suspects is classic.. but It's not really all that tricky.

After watching the movie once, it makes sence. After watching it twice, you've spotted all the clues.

The old people she is haunted by are her parents.some of the scenes are just David Lynch craziness though.....it is a good movie,I liked it-I had to watch the end like 3 times but figured it out----I think Zesto is on point.You have to watch it anyway,because you will still be lost.

Guest chicken bone

yo yo and check it- camilla gets mad scared and sad when she shows her the body cuz thats how blond girl wanted her to react to her death, and she wanted camilla to try to look like blond girl remember she said "i know what your doing, but let me do it" (when camilla was cutting her hair), then she put a wig on her!

blamo!

SPOILERS BELOW*******

i warned you fuckface.

for the bluebox, the first thing i thought of was pandoras box.

however, heres my take on it:

the whole dream sequence makes everything that diane/betty does, to be perfect in every way. nothing bad happens to her at all, and she doesnt do anything bad. the blue box to me represents the hitman killing Camilla. in real life, diane is the one who "has the blue box", basically meaning, shes the only one who can control whether or not camilla gets killed. so, in her dream, Camilla is the one opening the box, and betty really has no part in it. shes removing herself from the situation. fuck that though, my ideas turn to shit when i try to write them out.

the only thing i dont like about the movie, is the last 1/4. its all out of order, and lynch relies on that to confuse the audience, rather than plot and story development. by screwing up the order of events, it just seems like a cheap way of fucking with the audience. however, the dream sequence is brilliant, and the more you watch, the more you pickup on where EVERYONE in the dream comes from. EVERYONE in the dream comes from various places(mostly adams party) and she places them in her dream. its brilliant. i watched the movie 2 times, with discussions with friends afterwards, and after the 2nd time, i fully understood it. now its just a matter of piecing together small parts of her dream. its a great flick by all means.

Archived