Movies that are art

qsysue

I don't necessarily mean because they have a great story, or because they're art house movies, but more just the way they're filmed. What movies have impressed you?

I think that Hero is one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. Especially the scenes in the woods with all the leaves falling. I couldn't find any still shots except this one:

hero17.jpg

Here's a scene on youtube:

When the leaves turn red at the end, it's just stunning. In the theater it was incredible.

--

Of course, Stanley Kubrick is the master of interesting composition. My son's sort of obsessed with him right now so I hear a lot about him. I guess he started out as a photographer before making films, and it shows.

sjff_01_img0111.jpg

faves_2001_A_Space_Odyssey_646_a870a.jpg

--

One of my all-time favorite movies is Harold and Maude, and it's obvious the director was influenced by Kubrick. Some really great filming in this movie. And the story is awesome, too.

27-cemetery1.png

Here's the scene that still is taken from:

Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Interesting, never heard of either.

I watched an old Tony Randall/Jayne Mansfield movie on AMC the other day called Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? The movie wasn't that great, but I love old movies--the color of old film alone is fascinating to me, plus the sets. But mainly it was the lighting that I was interested by.

rock-hunters-spoils-of-success.jpg

Crouching Tiger was also pretty stunning, but Hero even more so.

True Grit had some amazing screen moments, particularly the scene where he was carrying her on his horse all night.

I like to watch a lot of old movies, partially because the color is so amazing, but also because the lighting and sets fascinate me. I just watched one starring Tony Randall and Jayne Mansfield called Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? and some of the lighting choices were interesting. Lots of shadows.

rock-hunters-spoils-of-success.jpg

Oh yeah, Moon is really good. I don't remember it being artistic but I don't actually remember much of it. I'll have to watch it again.

One of my all-time favorite movies, The Spitfire Grill, has some really beautiful scenes: