Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Motorized mountain bikes

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by -KARMA-, Jan 29, 2006.

1. -KARMA-

-KARMA- Junior Member

yesterday i was out and about and i saw some kid rflying around on a low end mountain bike with a lawn mower motor hooked up to it. Does anyone know how or where i could find out how to make on eof these?

2. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

you sure it was a lawn mower motor?

3. Brewster Baker

Brewster Baker 12oz Loyalist

4. -KARMA-

-KARMA- Junior Member

pretty sure it was a lwan mower motor. I know someone who did it with one a while back but he moved and i lost all contact with him

5. RumPuncher

RumPuncher Elite Member

hey 'KARMA'... you dont write 'KRAMA' do you?

you mean a bike like this?
    [​IMG]

6. -KARMA-

-KARMA- Junior Member

nah i dont write karma or krama. And yep thats exactly what it was liek except it was a walmart bike with a motor from something that the kid probably took apart

7. turnout

turnout New Jack

I think I'd ask the kid that had the bike...that or be fascinated by the fact we are able to walk...

i like pedals

8. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

9. dumy

dumy Veteran Member

10. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

I got a motor from Golden Eagle that I'm mostly stoked about... though it did mysteriously quit on me a month back and even buying a new coil hasn't fixed it... still, it's fat for $500

average about 21mph...

11. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

As much as I love motorcycles and dirt bikes...I have no desire whatsoever to put a lawnmower engine on one of my mountain bikes.If you're looking to go in that direction...go moto.

12. Hokus

Hokus Member

i say, Get a dirt bike pussies

13. Tough Love

Tough Love Senior Member

id rather just buy a dirt bike

14. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

^ got a couple thousand dollars handy?

i'm wondering what kind of engines people use, coz most lawnmowers have vertical crankshafts making it complicated to connect to the wheel

yo smart, that shit has no spark or what?

15. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Well, the motor I first saw used was a stick edger with a friction drive. Basically 'friction' means that there is direct contact from the motor to the tire... like 2 cogs, one turns forcing the other to also revolve... this isn't really efficient and wears out tires like crazy.

The motor I have is a Komatsu motor used by Red Max for a variety of applications like edgers and weedeaters...

As far as my actual problems? I'm nearly stumped... I have spark when I take the plug out but when I put it in, nothin'

I have seen plugs that can spark outside of the chamber but just don't have the strength to fire under compression... so I bought a new plug. Still no go, so then came the new coil, same results... though I would say the outside spark is much bigger now with new stuff, when I put it together I still get nothing...

Next I guess I'll have to break down the carb but? I know it's getting gas because I can flood the plug. I've also dropped 101octane fuel right into the chamber and only got the motor to turn over a couple extra times but it never even came close to 'catching' so???

*It's a stader setup because, obviously, you don't need a distributor with only one plug. I've set the gap on the coil the same way as I always have using a business card and checked the gap on the plug but that's all good...

I'm pretty pissed about the whole thing because I have rebuilt all kinds of engines and I've never been this lost. I mean, there just aren't THAT many parts in a little motor like that