motorcycles

WISE

I'm about to buy a used motorcycle.

It'll be my first bike and I want to get a cruiser.

I've got a few grand to spend, but definitely nothing over $4000.

I've been checking out the honda shadow series, but still looking around.

Who's got a bike?

Who has tips for a guy getting his 1st bike?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Depends on what you're looking for

I owned plenty of rat bikes in my time, starting with my very first one, a 1961 Miele (made in Germany--it had a Sachs engine.) That one was followed by a Zundapp, then a couple of Hondas. I've been through too many to list them all. I have a 1970 FL model Harley gathering dust in my garage, that I haven't started since 1993, and a classic Honda CB750L flat four that needs a bunch of work.

Don't just ride one. LEARN TO WRENCH ON YOUR OWN SCOOTER. Taking your bike to a shop is for yuppie dentists. Real motorcycle riders do their own mechanic work. Buy tools. Study. If you want a real education, buy your bike in a motorcycle junk yard and put that bad boy together from scratch. Any pussy with a Visa card can buy a brand new bike and then roar around town like he knows what he is doing. But it takes a genuine biker to build one out of a basket case.

• 7 months later...
Guest imported_El Mamerro

The Yamaha V-Stars are pretty damn amazing bikes. I don't know what size you're looking for, but the 650's start around $6K new and you should have no problem finding a used one around $4K.

Originally posted by ubejinxed

can anyone recommend a good beginner sport bike for a short person (5'2")??

thanks

I'm not sure what your tastes are in terms of styling, but I find the Suzuki SV-650 irresistible, and it's supposed to be a good beginner bike, as well as light for a 650, while still packing a punch. I like the naked version, cause I'm not a big fan of plastic fairing, but you can also get a faired version.

Don't get a Buell.

DOn't get a harley. They are played out bikes for old men.

Get yourself a fast ass asian sportsbike. You can do a lot more tricks and you can rock out like Kaneda and friends in Akira.

IT'S THE CLOWNS!

http://www.bbakira.co.uk/stills/gangs/gang4.jpg'>

http://www.bbakira.co.uk/stills/gangs/joker5.jpg'>

http://www.bbakira.co.uk/stills/gangs/joker2.jpg'>

how big of a bike do you want to ride after you get rid of the beginner bike ube?

if you're only going to move up to a 600...then I'd suggest getting an old Ninja 250. Pretty small, lightweight and inexpensive. The downside of course is that they aren't fast and you'd probably get bored quickly.

I started out on a Yamaha Maxim 550. It was fast enough to not be boring, it didn't have fairings and it was super cheap.

My other advice is...buy a nice helmet. Don't get the cheapest one.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

no matter what kind of nice bike you want...I always recommend learning on something you wouldn't care about dropping. I've seen two many idiots go out and buy brand new bikes only to drop them and fuck them up.

agreed i can't afford a new one i'm only looking to spend max 3K

i'm putting a friends bike under my name, but it's big i'm trying to get him to lower it. it's a GSXR Suzuki 750 i've already dropped it once on my leg that sucked. i want to get a small light one i can stand flat foot with.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by LENS

DOn't get a harley. They are played out bikes for old men.

Get yourself a fast ass asian sportsbike.

No, don't. Unless all you care about is going really really fast.

Cruiser all the way.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

The Yamaha V-Stars are pretty damn amazing bikes. I don't know what size you're looking for, but the 650's start around $6K new and you should have no problem finding a used one around $4K.

Ube, I'm not sure what your tastes are in terms of styling, but I find the Suzuki SV-650 irresistible, and it's supposed to be a good beginner bike. I like the naked version, cause I'm not a big fan of plastic fairing, but you can also get a faired version.

that's pretty nice, do you know how tall it is? i'm sure i could look it up but i thought i'd ask first. i'm not very picky for styling just price and size.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

if you're only going to move up to a 600...then I'd suggest getting an old Ninja 250. Pretty small, lightweight and inexpensive. The downside of course is that they aren't fast and you'd probably get bored quickly.

yah i've looked at the site and that was the one recommended for beginners, but i dunnno about a 250, i like the size of it though. found one on ebay for 3K but it's in LA

Where did d-hab put that hayabusa clip? That is freakin insane!

I haven't ridden a bike since I was a kid... bikes, quads, go-karts, mopeds, whatever.... we even built our own deathtrap contraptions. Ahhh ... those were the days.:D

I want to get a bike but I'm more concerned about getting a van right now. Or something.

maintenance on ducks...is real expensive.

alright...here is what I heard back:

If she has real short legs, about her only options are a Buell Blast or a real motorcycle with a lowering kit.

Two great starter bikes that she oughta look at are the Suzuki SV650 and the Kawasaki Ninja 500.

In used bikes, check fit on the F2/F3 Honda CBR600s and Kawi ZX6D/E back to 93 (Kawi hasn't changed the ZX6 motor since 93).

For a first bike, she oughta maybe look at a used naked bike or small cruiser.

Insurance companies don't like full fairing bikes because they cost more to fix and are easier to damage.

She should also sign up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses, and budget for a good helmet/jacket/gloves.

WOW thanks steve!!

i will look into the used models, i'd rather not have all the fancy stuff on it anyways.

i took the motorcycle saftey course back when i got my motorcycle license like 8yrs ago. i haven't ridden in a long long time tho. i hope i can remember.

my insurance quoted me $40 a month for the Suzuki GSXR 750 so i can't imagine a smaller one will be anymore.

thanks again! i hope i can get one by this summer!!!!!!!!!!!

ok...so I got one more opinion.

Another nod to the Suzuki sv650

sv650full.jpg

and also a nod to the Ducati Monster 620. The ride heighth is actually known to be shorter on this one.

d_620m_03.jpg

I may end up with a new bike this summer as well. It kinda depends on some things I have to take care of first.

Archived