more deaths

The Leader

ok, so cochran, schiavo, hedberg...

Bass Wolf (From Guitar Wolf):

heart attack.

We regret to inform you that Hideaki Sekiguchi, a.k.a. Billy has passed away by heart attack in the morning of March 31st., at the age of 38.

Vigil and funeral information is as follows:

Vigil: 18:00p.m.?`(non-relatives 19:00p.m.?`) on Tuesday, April 5

Funeral: 10:00a.m.?`11:00a.m., The Hearse to Leave at 11:00a.m. on

Wednesday, April 6

Place: Rinkaisaijo http://www.rinkaisaijo.or.jp

1-3-1, Tokai, Ohta-Ku, Tokyo

Phone: 81-3-5755-2833

*Since there is NO parking lot, we kindly ask you not to drive to the place.

From punknews:

Kris Roe of the Ataris has posted that drummer Derrick Plourde, formerly of the Ataris, Lagwagon, Bad Astronaut, RKL and Mad Caddies shot and killed himself on March 30th.

Kris wrote this for Derrick:

"I would like to extend my love and respect to all of Derrick's many friends and family, Joanne, Joey, Jessica, Snodgrass, Derrick's Brother and Father, pretty much everyone in every band in Santa Barbara, just anyone who loved and cared about this guy as much as I did. This is one of those things in the back of your mind you kinda somewhat think could happen anytime then suddenly on the day you get that call it just doesn't really seem real. We defintely take some things... some friendships for granted while we are alive, and then suddenly they're gone. Derrick, I can assure you that tonight in Santa Barbara, Goleta and the rest of the world there are many glasses raised in your honor, Be well and we all love you always. "

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
frank_perdue.03.jpg

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Frank Perdue, the Maryland farmer who revolutionized the poultry industry and gave chicken a brand name, died Friday following a brief illness at the age of 84.

At the time of his death, Perdue was chairman of the executive committee of the board of Perdue Farms Inc., the company said in a statement.

The hands-on CEO became well-known as a company spokesman, appearing in radio and print ads and some 200 television commercials. Among his memorable lines: "It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken."

Over his career, Perdue transformed a family backyard egg business into the nation's fourth-largest integrated food processor. When he became president of Perdue Farms Inc. in 1952, the company was averaging revenues of $6 million, and exceeded $35 million by 1967.

"The prime ingredient of success is fear," he told the Washington Post in 1975. "I'm talking about the kind of fear that made me thorough. You should have enough fear to always second-guess yourself."

The only child of Arthur W. and Pearl Perdue, Franklin Parsons Perdue was born in 1920 in Salisbury, Maryland. His father Arthur gave up his job as a Railway Express agent and, with the help of his wife, raised 50 Leghorn chickens that he bought for $5.

The venture grew, and the family sold enough eggs to stay out of debt and prosper, even through the Depression.

Frank Perdue worked the family business, went to classes in a one-room school house until he attended Salisbury High School, and then Salisbury State College. A mediocre student, he left after two years and returned to the family farm.

Although he insisted that his success was due to a superior product, many believe the company's success was due to its advertising.

He spent $50,000 in 1968 for radio ads to bring the previously anonymous fresh poultry industry to the public, making his name synonymous with chicken.

In 1971, with characteristic thoroughness and with a preparation of months of reading and research, he chose New York advertising firm Scali, McCabe, Sloves Inc. to help him deluge the New York area with radio, television, newspaper and subway ads that featured him giving customers direct quality assurances.

In one ad he said, "If you're not completely satisfied with my chicken, you can always write to me -- the president of Perdue -- and I'll give you your money back. If you buy some government-approved chicken, and you're not completely satisfied, who do you write? The President of the United States? What does he know about chickens?"

"In one month alone some 10,000 New Yorkers contacted Perdue for a list of stores selling his chickens, while 22,000 customers who have written him to praise, criticize, or satisfy their curiosity about his business have received his free 59-page cookbook," Business Week reported after the first round of ads.

Scali, McCabe, Sloves Inc. won several awards for the Perdue marketing spots.

Perdue is survived by his third wife, Mitzi Ayala Perdue, four children, two stepchildren and 12 grandchildren.

SOURCE

Guest imported_El Mamerro

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...2005Apr1.html?g

The Italian news agency ADNKronos, without citing sources, reported before 2 p.m. EST that a brain monitor hooked to the pope had gone flat. But a senior Vatican official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Associated Press that the pope was still alive and that there was no such monitoring device in his apartment.

Sorry bout that.