Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Mixing paint

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by cracked ass, Apr 10, 2000.

1. cracked ass

cracked ass Guest

OK, here's how I do it. Props to beardo and hyena for much of what's below.

The first step is to obtain an ordinary Bic ball point pen, preferably empty. Tear it open, take out the inkwell (again, it needs emptying). Cut a 1 and 1/2 inch to 2 inch length of dry inkwell. This is your mixing tube. Cut 2 notches in each end with an exacto knife or razor blade. The notches should closely resemble those found on the bottom of the stem of any fat cap. Next, with the razor, lightly whittle the ends down until they fit the valve of the cans you want to mix.
    Now pick a spot to mix: one where a long-range paint splash will not be a serious problem. This is very rare but can happen, especially with very old cans bought from discount stores. Get 2 buckets, one for icewater and the other for hot/boiling water, and fill em. (Don't fill the hot one until you're ready to mix.)
    Cans: the can you want to RECEIVE paint goes in the freezer. Metal and paint solvents conduct heat very well, which means you only need 20 or 30 minutes chilling time for a can. Once that can is cold, fill your hot water bucket. Gently connect the receiving can to the donor can with the mixing tube, with the cold can upside down and on top, then lower the pair so the donor can goes in the hot water bucket. Now push the cans together, which opens both valves. Paint will foosh from the hot (donor) can to the cold (receiver) can. If you made your mixing tube too long it will likely fold or pop out when you push the cans together.
    When the hissing stops, pull the cans apart. You're all mixed up.
    A few odd pointers:
    1.You can combine dreg cans into one full can with this technique. However, after each dreg is added, immerse the receiver can in the icewater to cool the hot paint just added, then heat the next can.
    2.The hot water doesn't need to be boiling, go easy on that or you might get more pressure up than you want (bursting). During a long mixing session I'll freshen it up with more boiling water when it gets too lukewarm to work right.
    3.If cross-mixing brands or metallics (metallics don't mix well), first test compatibility by spraying a little of each inside a can cover or something, if they separate there then they won't mix in the can either.

I'll think of more tips to add later, and prompt me with ?'s on whatever is unclear to ya.

2. falseoneBIC!

falseoneBIC! Guest

I asked this before the site shut down but what colours make good for a white person?

------------------
    peace
    this is punxattack
    "and with the guts of the last preist let us strangle the last king so we'll finally be the land of the free" - Denis Diderod
    "We're takin no more, we're burnin down the door, PIGS PIGS PIGS FOR SLAUGHTER!" -Oi Polloi

3. cracked ass

cracked ass Guest

4.Some complain "that's too much work, you can mix with just two WD-40 caps with the red tube between em, the tube that comes with WD-40 cans". This is true but the bore on the Bic inkwell is ten times larger than the WD-40 tube so one mix takes a lot longer with the WD-40 method. The Bic tube rocks, mixes take a few seconds to maybe 30 or 40 seconds for long transfers of whole cans.
    5.When mixing Krylon, remember that any colors that are too watery for your liking can be simultaneously thickened and turned a lighter shade by mixing with flat white. Plenty of cool pastel colors emerge this way.
    6.Don't fret about a rainbow selection of dreg cans, just mix em all together, sometimes dope colors result. I got a pink so hot it's almost fluorescent - from cherry red, flat white, a little bit of true blue and some rose or something, I can't figure the exact recipe now.
    7.For a neat display of what you have for mix colors, paint up a can cover with your new color and pop it on the can.

4. SPLINTER

SPLINTER Guest

thanx for the info. I really needed it cuz I was doint the hot water shit wrong. I would get the water ready way before I was ready to mix.

5. cracked ass

cracked ass Guest

Painter's Touch soft peach is OK by itself for Caucasian flesh. Or, mix a little flat white into Krylon Farm & Implement John Deere Yellow. I know that doesn't sound right but it works. A lot of color mixes yield surprising results, it's not always what you'd expect.

6. cracked ass

cracked ass Guest

8.Pressure is higher in full cans than less full ones. As you add dreg cans to one receiver can it will get harder to add more. To cram those last few dregs into an almost-full can, use fresh boiling water to heat the dreg, right after holding the receiver can in the icewater for a minute or two. You can also take the receiver can, put a tip on it, turn it upside down, and let out some gas, which lowers the pressure a bit and gives you room for a bit more dregs.
    Also, use these procedures if a donor can doesn't quite empty all the way. Chill the receiver, heat the dreg again, and connect em again and that last little bit will go.

[This message has been edited by cracked ass (edited 04-10-2000).]

7. soma

soma New Jack

thanks for the thread cracked, now i gots much work to do.
    appreciate the info..

8. cracked ass

cracked ass Guest

My pleasure, soma, I love jawing about this topic in particular.
    Now the lighter side: one time I wanted to mix with this old can of harvest yellow appliance epoxy (Krylon) I picked up cheap. The can was so old that the rubber around the valve had become brittle, and the mixing tube wouldn't go. Also the first spray on the can yielded this play-doh like goo which clogged the cap. I went to clean the goo out of the valve with a needle-tipped tool. I pressed a little too hard and puctured the valve area and the can started spewing uncontrollably out the top. It took me less than two seconds to decide that I ought to buff my practice sheetrock wall immediately. So I coated the wall with the entire can until it ran out.
    Later that day I noticed a Railbox freight car parked in a good spot, which was precisely that harvest yellow color, so I went home and worked out a dope color scheme on the buffed wall, then took it to the steel. Worked great, for what started as a disaster.

9. Matt Styles

Matt Styles Guest

Wow...i just find the whole hot water/cold water thing kinda tedious. I just turn one can upside down and let some of the pressure out (sometimes most of it) to lower the pressure. I also use the WD40 Technique...however an actual wD40 straw is VERY thin but I found this nice carb cleaner at the auto store with a nice straw thats a little wider. After letting some of the pressure out connect both cans to the mixing tip, making sure to hold the donor can upright and the receiving can upside down and spray at the same time. I'm actually working on a diagram thing for a school assignment I'll post it on the web somewhere when I finish it. Say word!

------------------
    Matt, www.upstatestyles.com

10. Mr.Raven

Mr.Raven Guest

One time I had a sunset orange sitting out in the sun when we were doing a spot in the middle of summer. I heard a big pop sound and turned to notice the top had shot about 20 feet up into the air and the can was shooting a stream of paint a good six feet high for a few moments. Damn thing looked like a friggen volcano. The can was super old (obviously) but I've never seen it happen since. Luckily it was meant as an outline color and I had two cans of it. I did have to pretty much get my strokes right on the first shot to get the can to last the whole piece. The piece was the one that I printed with the purple background I did with Rear, Teal and Cove a while back.

11. THE HYENA

THE HYENA Senior Member

sunset orange.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

12. cracked ass

cracked ass Guest

I feel bad for old cans, all that pent up creative power sitting under pressure for ten , fifteen, twenty years...it wears on the can. The metal corrodes and fatigues, the rubber seal gets brittle...kind of sad, and conducive to the situation Raven described. The sun probably softened the goo that had hardened just inside the valve, and the valve itself was so beat down by the years of sitting around that the hard goo was the only thing holding the paint in.
    If the human race were to be suddenly wiped out by plague, we'd leave this odd legacy, among others: stores that carried spraypaint, all crumbling and home to squirrels and pigeons, and like twenty years after the plague cans finally start giving out structurally and jetting all over the birds roosting atop the paint rack...

13. NESC ONER

NESC ONER New Jack

YO Cracked Ass your name should be Cracked out.LOL j/k
    peace
    Nesc 2

14. mr.e

mr.e Senior Member

kinda of subject.....but my favorite mixed color is painters touch board brown mixed with rusto fire engine red....comes out to a sort of lighter maroonish color

------------------
    *im keepin it surreal*-HYENA
    *i yam who i yam and thats all that i yam*-POPEYE

15. antik

antik Junior Member

dayum! thanks for the info!! i sure couldav used this lesson a long time ago. where the hell have i been?

oh yeah... the middle of nowhere. duh, me.

thanks all, for the info.

- antik/RAW/ILL