MIT to offer online classes....

ODS-1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

excellent.

i'm gonna use this.

thank you.

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

Welcome to MIT's OpenCourseWare:

a free and open educational resource for faculty, students, and self-learners around the world. OCW supports MIT's mission to advance knowledge and education, and serve the world in the 21st century. It is true to MIT's values of excellence, innovation, and leadership.

MIT OCW:

* Is a publication of MIT course materials

* Does not require any registration

* Is not a degree-granting or certificate-granting activity

* Does not provide access to MIT faculty

700 Courses Now Available

With the publication of 700 courses, MIT OCW offers educational materials from 33 academic disciplines and all five of MIT's schools.

Originally posted by CILONE/SK

Is it just instructional shit? If it is a class, why would you take it if you didn't get credit? Is it free?

I am too lazy right now to click on the link and check it out.

Who cares if you don't get credit? Atleast you won't be a retard.

why would oyu assume that what works for you works for everyone?

and to make a statement that learning without being motivated by a degree is retarded?? wtf???

learning is never retarded my friend.

what about my situation?

i have a degree in molecular biology and biochemistry sure, but just MAYBE there are new discoveries that i didn't learn about in school..

or maybe there are som ephysiology classes that would really compliment what research i am wokring on right now..but i don't NEED another degree.

or just maybe i'm curious about art and philosophy but think that taking classes for a degree in that shit is a waste of time?

in class oyu have to prepare and do homework and take tests..not too mention that it's MIT.

shit ain't easy.

but maybe they JUST WANT TO SPREAD KNOWLEDGE

clearly, humanity could use all the education it can get.

i may have just lost a little respect for you :o

i have a degree in molecular biology and biochemistry

You said this in another thread... It's like your bragging but not intentionally. Anyways, I do agree with what you said. Because of that, I am going to check out that MIT site. I'm only 16 but I guess the quote "knowledge is power" applies here. Let's see if my attention span is powerful enough to get me interested. And... to see if I can teach myself a thing or two (or three).

But first, I will make good use of that search engine. (The one on the MIT page)

peace

Originally posted by StarzAbove

Well i can careless aboutrespect on this site cause almost no1 gets it any when expressing opinions but you are right there isn't a lost in learning!

You should take a few classes on sentence structure or punctuation.

Originally posted by Yellow Feets

You said this in another thread... It's like your bragging but not intentionally.

peace

brag

v. tr.

To assert boastfully.

n.

1. A boast.

2. Arrogant or boastful speech or manner.

3. Something boasted of.

4. A braggart; a boaster.

5. Games. A card game similar to poker.

naw, i was saying it because it was part of the point i was making.

just a comment: very few people on the site would be impressed by my degree.

no one cares.

*starzabove: that was for cilone, not you.

CILONE just made the most ignorant remarks of the day.

"I don't care if I learn anything, I just want the credits!"

Hahaha...wow.

I never did it but I thought about just showing up for some classes on a college campus - without paying or registering - just to learn some stuff that interested me. In fact when I decided to drop out of college, because I couldn't take the courses I wanted, I spent a lot of time at the library learning about shit I was interested in.

I doubt I'd take advantage of the MIT stuff because I have a longstanding rift with doing math, but it's a good opportunity for the more motivated.

Look at the building for this place!

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/66379132-E094-4D8B-80EF-56977800349E/0/Course_24_dept.jpg'>

Hmm...is anyone into architecture? Most of the

time I don't put much thought into it but then

I see some buildings that just amaze me.

Hmmm...maybe in a little while I'll browse this

site and see what it gots.

Originally posted by CILONE/SK

Nothing is wrong with learning, but you can probally get the same info from a library. Or better yet, go to a school that you can get into. If your going to learn about something, you might as well take a fucking class.

ITS MIT CLASSES. MIT

u wanna be a fuckin genuis at hands on shit u go there the highest point in tech ed.....

this shits right up my alley.

i've been to school.. i'm still, and will be, paying it off for a long time. why would i want to spend another wack of cash for something i'd be interested in just learning about.

nevermind the fact it might actually look pretty good on a resume...

Originally posted by Crimsøn

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/66379132-E094-4D8B-80EF-56977800349E/0/Course_24_dept.jpg'>

Hmm...is anyone into architecture? Most of the

time I don't put much thought into it but then

I see some buildings that just amaze me.

Hmmm...maybe in a little while I'll browse this

site and see what it gots.

You should take a few classes on sentence structure or punctuation.

"GOTS?" Take ur own advice seriously!!

thing is, you aren't PAYING for it.

another thing is..you AREN"T DOING THE WORK

there isn't homework.

there aren't term papers

there aren't research projects

there aren't required seminars to attend

there aren't exams to take or study for.

therefore, it is only reading the lecture notes and taking it as far as you want from there.

that way, you get what you put in, no more no less.

and like i said, if you are like me, you might be interested in a couple classes, not all the classes it would take to earn a degree.

a degree usually requires upwards of 100 credits.

one class is 3 or 4 credits.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by Crimsøn

Article on the Frank Ghery-designed Ray and Maria Stata Center for Computer, Information, and Intelligence at MIT.

On the one hand I hate it, cause it's less Ghery and more Disney theme park attraction, on the other I like it because it fits perfectly what goes inside it:

A classic example of Stata-style research is Thomas Knight's synthetic biology lab. A hero programmer from the 1960s, Knight now hopes to create organisms for use within microelectronics. His group ties high-powered computing into a microbiology lab, where they can try building, say, plants that tell you when they need water.

As for the open courses, I do believe they've been doing it for a while now, and it's fucking awesome. I wish I had time to sit down and take one or two. If the MediaLab is included, I'm on that shit with a quickness... I took a tour of it two years ago and almost shat myself with the stuff that was going on inside it.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Don't worry Cilone, I understood what you were trying to say. Yes, it is free (except textbooks), and you have the freedom to do whatever you want in it at your own pace. Just good free knowledge from one of the US's premiere learning institutions, no reward or punishment.

Wait.. why not just get out of the house, go take the real course and get some fucking edumacation credits.

Sure it might cost money, but you'll make your money back when you get older and have something to put on your resume.

Even if it's just something you are interested in and not something you want to do, putting a degree that you don't use looks good as well. And when asked and you say "I was just interested in the subject" you will look awesomist.

Archived