Misinformation: Iran requires badges for Jews and Christians

MAR

Iran eyes badges for Jews

Law would require non-Muslim insignia

Chris WattieNational Post

Friday, May 19, 2006

Human rights groups are raising alarms over a new law passed by the Iranian parliament that would require the country's Jews and Christians to wear coloured badges to identify them and other religious minorities as non-Muslims.

"This is reminiscent of the Holocaust," said Rabbi Marvin Hier, the dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles. "Iran is moving closer and closer to the ideology of the Nazis."

Iranian expatriates living in Canada yesterday confirmed reports that the Iranian parliament, called the Islamic Majlis, passed a law this week setting a dress code for all Iranians, requiring them to wear almost identical "standard Islamic garments."

The law, which must still be approved by Iran's "Supreme Guide" Ali Khamenehi before being put into effect, also establishes special insignia to be worn by non-Muslims.

Iran's roughly 25,000 Jews would have to sew a yellow strip of cloth on the front of their clothes, while Christians would wear red badges and Zoroastrians would be forced to wear blue cloth.

"There's no reason to believe they won't pass this," said Rabbi Hier. "It will certainly pass unless there's some sort of international outcry over this."

Bernie Farber, the chief executive of the Canadian Jewish Congress, said he was "stunned" by the measure. "We thought this had gone the way of the dodo bird, but clearly in Iran everything old and bad is new again," he said. "It's state-sponsored religious discrimination."

Ali Behroozian, an Iranian exile living in Toronto, said the law could come into force as early as next year.

It would make religious minorities immediately identifiable and allow Muslims to avoid contact with non-Muslims.

Mr. Behroozian said it will make life even more difficult for Iran's small pockets of Jewish, Christian and other religious minorities -- the country is overwhelmingly Shi'ite Muslim. "They have all been persecuted for a while, but these new dress rules are going to make things worse for them," he said.

The new law was drafted two years ago, but was stuck in the Iranian parliament until recently when it was revived at the behest of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

A spokesman for the Iranian Embassy in Ottawa refused to comment on the measures. "This is nothing to do with anything here," said a press secretary who identified himself as Mr. Gharmani.

"We are not here to answer such questions."

The Simon Wiesenthal Centre has written to Kofi Annan, the Secretary-General of the United Nations, protesting the Iranian law and calling on the international community to bring pressure on Iran to drop the measure.

"The world should not ignore this," said Rabbi Hier. "The world ignored Hitler for many years -- he was dismissed as a demagogue, they said he'd never come to power -- and we were all wrong."

Mr. Farber said Canada and other nations should take action to isolate Mr. Ahmadinejad in light of the new law, which he called "chilling," and his previous string of anti-Semitic statements.

"There are some very frightening parallels here," he said. "It's time to start considering how we're going to deal with this person."

Mr. Ahmadinejad has repeatedly described the Holocaust as a myth and earlier this year announced Iran would host a conference to re-examine the history of the Nazis' "Final Solution."

He has caused international outrage by publicly calling for Israel to be "wiped off the map."

Iran does not yet have nuclear weapons, but Tehran believed by Western nations to be developing its own nuclear military capability, in defiance of international protocols and peace treaties.

The United States, France and Israel accuse Iran of using a civilian nuclear program to secretly build a weapon. Iran denies this, saying its program is confined to generating electricity.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=11fbf4a8-282a-4d18-954f-546709b1240f&k=32073

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Iran requires badges for Jews and Christians

this ahmadinejad chump needs to get tko'ed with a good hard thai kick to the dome..dude is on some seriously nutty bullshit. i'm slightly comforted by the fact that the more radical iran's leadership gets, the larger the groundswell of opposition from the youth should get. now if the bush crime syndicate would help foment the democratic forces inside the country instead of all this saber rattling, iran might actually have a chance of some real, positive change.

yea but the youth in iran are fed up, which is why the US should watch it's ass when it tries it's heavy handed bullshit and actually, really for real provide funding and help the internal democratic spirit that seems to be alive and well.

I heard about this today and could not fucking believe it. I can't believe this can happen in this day and age, after 50 million people died over this shit in World War II, just half a century ago. This president in Iran, he needs to be stopped. And it needs to be done in a non-war way, because if we go into war in Iran, we will plunge into World War III and it will be very hard to find a way out of that. It's funny, because I just watched V for Vendetta last night (after reading the book a year ago) and it is managing to resonate within my mind in a way that movies rarely do for me, anymore. It really is so possible, that sort of fascistic, post-war regime that is depicted in that book and in the movie. The movie makes it even scarier, because they updated it from war between Russia and the US into a war that America waged on the Middle East. Fuck.

farsi...

islam ruined Iran, but they are by far the dominant mid east power... the US policy is so fucked... Iran should have nukes...I think we if respected Iran as world power, we would have a better chance of them embracing democracy... democracy only works in a society with a good economy and people are making $$$... by having tarde sanctions etc, we are stiffling their economy and making the people bitter... that causes people to turn towards totalitariansism, not democracy...

farsi...

islam ruined Iran, but they are by far the dominant mid east power... the US policy is so fucked... Iran should have nukes...I think we if respected Iran as world power, we would have a better chance of them embracing democracy... democracy only works in a society with a good economy and people are making $$$... by having tarde sanctions etc, we are stiffling their economy and making the people bitter... that causes people to turn towards totalitariansism, not democracy...

Islam didn't ruin Iran, the deviant non-Islamic nutjobs who run it ruined Iran.

In case you didn't know Iran is full of shia who have nothing to do with Islam except

claims. There are things that take a person out of Islam and the leaders of Iran (I'm not sure if it's all of them) have left Islam.

In case you didn't know, Islam doesn't ruin anything , it brings security and peace. But when people do un-islamic things in the name of Islam it makes it seem as if Islam is the problem , but you don't hear me though.

farsi...

No...PERSIAN.

The national language of Iran is Persian. The entire area is generally referred to as Persia because of the common language shared by the residents, Pers.

the language is called Pers, the place is called Persia, 'Persian' is adjective that covers the language, the people, rugs and a multitude of other things... it's like saying 'Chinese' when descirbing someone speaking Cantonese...

Okay- let me preface this with the fact that I am a Jew- however I was doing some research on the dhimmi in relation to Iran and their supposed traditions. Here is what I found: (please see the web site though- it is really interesting reading- and there is obviously much more there than I copy and pasted here.) Anyway- I wont be vacationing in Iran anytime soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhimmi#_note-3

A dhimmi (also zimmi, Arabic: ذمي, plural: اهل الذمۃ, ahl al-dhimma) is a free non-Muslim subject of a state governed in accordance with sharia — Islamic law. A dhimmi is a person of the dhimma, a term which refers in Islamic law to the pact of surrender contracted between non-Muslims and their Muslim conquerors. This status was originally only made available to non-Muslims who were People of the Book (i.e. Jews and Christians), but was later extended to include Zoroastrians, Mandeans, and ultimately also Hindus.[1]

The status of dhimmi applied to millions of people living from the Atlantic Ocean to India between the 7th century, when dhimma was first introduced, and the mid-19th — early 20th century, when dhimma was abolished. Living in areas conquered by Muslims, these people were reduced to the status of second-class subjects[2] and tributaries of a Muslim state.[3]

Dhimmis were allowed to retain their religion and guaranteed their personal safety and security of property, in return for paying tribute to Muslims and accepting the Muslim supremacy, which involved various restrictions and legal disabilities placed on dhimmis, such as prohibitions to bear arms or testify in courts in cases involving Muslims or the requirement to wear distinctive clothing. [4] Disarmed and unable to defend themselves in courts, dhimmis were vulnerable to the whims of rulers and the violence of mobs. [5]

Although Muslim authorities sometimes raised the question whether dhimmis should be forced to accept Islam, the prevailing opinion was that dhimmis had to be allowed to live largely because they were an economic boon to the Muslim state. [6]

The conditions of dhimma resulted in a gradual acceptance of Islam by most Middle Eastern Christians and Zoroastrians living under the Muslim rule, as well as in the Arabization of Christians. Most Zoroastrians converted rather rapidly, while the conversion of Christians took many centuries. Many Jews accepted Islam as well, but the overwhelming majority of them preserved their religion. Although forced conversions also played a role, the key motives for conversion were the need to escape oppressive taxation and social inferiority. [7]

I can see how wearing identifying clothing would allow people to discriminate as though they were dhimmi; "Disarmed and unable to defend themselves in courts, dhimmis were vulnerable to the whims of rulers and the violence of mobs."

We would do well to support the youth/college movement and those cosmopolitan social values. Invading Iran is hardly contemplatable with how bogged down we are in Iraq. Iran already exerts strong influence over Iraq in the chaos that reigns there and even in our new "democratic" government Bush is so proud of. I'm quite sure if we pulled out Iran would quickly fill the power vacuum in Iraq.

Good point about sanctions on Iran only serving to make enemies of those we should be supporting. Sanctions never hurt those in power. That was made all too clear in Iraq. Not to mention that China and Russia would probably not participate in the sanctions given their own interests in the oil. What a convoluted mess we are all in. Someone get us off this damn oil already.

There's a guy nearby who made a new fuel derived from water... somehow it turns to fire. His company is called Hydrogen Technology. I saw a news story on it and I gather that the car he had rigged up still used a hybrid tech w/ gasoline being part of the process. I wasn't clear on it exactly because it was tv news and I haven't done any research but he definately had something... fire from water.

*but that's for the oil thread or something...

Okay- let me preface this with the fact that I am a Jew- . [7]

oh. no, not another one....

nah, just kidding, welcome, say shalom to brother Mar.

I need some more muslims in here.

Dawood-

I too- am passionate about my people- but as I have stated in other posts- I have been a journalist for well over 15 years covering the middle east- living there for years and submerging myself in the linguistics, culture, religion, and spirituality- and the study of xenophobia.

I am also married to a Muslim- and as Mar has commented before- because of this- I will admit now that I am not that attached to my religion. I do however embrace my religion beyond fear of bumpy plane rides- and praying while ridding the Tube in London, and of course – praying that my next journalistic contact that I meet in some remote place does not decide to turn on me.

How much time have any of you spent in the Middle East? Or Chechnya? Bosnia- Yugoslavia?

I don’t speak about my family very often- because there are not many family members left to speak of- due to the Holocaust. Both of my parents and some of their family members escaped Europe as the heals of Hitler where crushing down right behind them. Neither of whom were “Slavs.” My father was from France and my Mother from Germany. Not everyone who immigrates to Israel is a Slav- Jews are everywhere- even Cuba.

Of course this thread could on- and on and eventually erupt and turn into yet another Intifada.

In my younger years I think I was much more argumentative – however -after traveling the world- and seeing death happen right in front of me- literally- not to mention the actual smell of death- changes your perspective- at least mine anyway and this (unfortunately) I can’t make others understand unless they themselves have witnessed it too.

Wading through the blood of dead bodies, body parts and stepping over dead bodies- dead children- does something obviously psychologically to you.

Having seen the genocide in Rwanda- first hand, having lived in Israel- not to mention several other surrounding countries- including Iraq- having lived in Chechnya, and Russia had a very profound affect on me.

You no longer see life through just your sheltered eyes- or the safety net of your PC monitor, or through the eyes of Anderson Cooper from CNN- you actually step out of the Jack in the box.

It’s very easy to stand on that soap box and spew scheisses at others even though you yourself have never actually experienced leaving the comforts of your home town.

Until you have walked in another’s shoes- and I am not talking about the comfort of orthopedic shoes- don’t throw words out into cyber space that you cant take back.

nah dawood unlike you and mar 2342 seems like SHE can definitely see the two faces of a coin

well, I can see both faces of the coin it's just that one is a face and the other one is an ass.

heads or tails?