Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Ministry Of Propaganda established in US

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Agent Uprise, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Agent Uprise

Agent Uprise New Jack

What the fuck, my watch says 1984?!?!
    February 20, 2002

taken from indymedia.org

HEARTS AND MINDS

Bush Will Keep Wartime Office Promoting U.S.

By ELIZABETH BECKER and JAMES DAO

ASHINGTON, Feb. 19 — President Bush has decided to transform the administration's temporary wartime communications effort into a permanent office of global diplomacy to spread a positive image of the United States around the world and combat anti-Americanism, senior administration officials said today.

"The president believes it is a critical part of national security to communicate U.S. foreign policy to a global audience in times of peace as well as war," said Dan Bartlett, the White House communications director.

While discussions are at a preliminary stage, officials said there was general agreement in the administration that the intense shaping of information and coordination of messages that occurred during the fighting in Afghanistan should become a permanent feature of national security policy.

The White House office to be created to carry out the policy will coordinate the public statements of State, Defense and the other departments like the Voice of America to ensure that foreign correspondents in Washington as well as foreign leaders and opinion-makers overseas understand Mr. Bush's policies.

"What is important is we want to do a better job of using the government seamlessly to give direction to the president's global diplomacy," a senior administration official said.

Officials said the new office would be entirely separate from a proposed Office of Strategic Influence at the Pentagon, which would use the media, the Internet and a range of covert operations to try to influence public opinion and government policy abroad, including in friendly nations.

That office is contemplating plans, which are being reviewed by Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, to disseminate information, and possibly even disinformation, in foreign media as part of an aggressive campaign by the military to promote American policies overseas.

Today, the president of the Radio- Television News Directors Association, Barbara Cochran, wrote a letter to Mr. Rumsfeld objecting to any plans involving the spread of false or misleading information by the Pentagon.

Like the office of Homeland Security, the efforts to centralize public diplomacy following the Sept. 11 attacks have grown in importance and urgency in the last six months.

So far, the new White House office has no name, no director and no budget, though officials say Mr. Bush has said money will be no obstacle in pursuing the effort. The earlier White House push to create a more positive image of the United States after Sept. 11 was led by Karen P. Hughes, senior adviser to the president and is known as the Coalition Information Center.

The major goal, officials said, is to stem what the White House sees as a rising tide of anti-Americanism.

"A lot of the world does not like America, and it's going to take years to change their hearts and minds," said a senior official involved in the discussions.

The president broached the possibility of a permanent mission in a meeting with the top people who speak for the administration in September. "He told us that we were going to be at this for a long, long time," one participant said, "that we were setting a template for future presidents, that we had to think big, strategic, historic thoughts."

Global diplomacy as envisioned in the new office will inject patriotism into the punishing 24-hour, seven-day news cycle, officials said. It will include information campaigns about Mr. Bush's domestic policy — like education bills — as well as traditional information about the military, diplomatic and economic sides of national security policy, officials said.

Rather than create agencies, the new office would take advantage of the huge communications network of American embassies, their media offices and the broadcast network already in place under the State Department.

Charlotte Beers, a former advertising executive now in charge of public diplomacy at the State Department, has used her marketing skills in an attempt to make American policies as familiar as American culture.

Officials involved in the global communications effort said it required clear direction from the White House to break down the bureaucratic walls built up around the government after the cold war ended and the focus on defeating a clear-cut enemy disappeared.

Foreign journalists say they have given up getting meaningful interviews from American officials here. Only the most senior ambassadors from allied countries meet regularly with government policy makers.

"There was often the feeling that we were either taken for granted or considered irrelevant," said Patrice de Beer, the former Washington correspondent for Le Monde, the French daily. "We don't expect anyone to deliver state secrets to us but to be accessible to explain what the policy was. That's all."

In the earlier White House effort, Ms. Hughes joined forces with her British counterpart to put together the Coalition Information Center, known as the war room.

When Washington decided to highlight the Taliban's policy against women's rights, officials enlisted not only First Lady Laura Bush but Cherie Blair, the wife of the British prime minister.

"The Afghanistan women's campaign was the best thing we've done — giving insight into their vision of the future," said Jim Wilkinson, the head of the Coalition Information Center.

2. otto dix

otto dix Veteran Member

or we can bury people who break minor laws up to their head in sand. then have a bulldozer knock a cinderblock wall onto them. its really not so bad.

3. Rhubarb

Rhubarb New Jack

if your so into things like this you should have figured it was going on anyway. no matter what they say about it or what articles are written, this will always be happening.

4. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

welcome to america, we fix bullet wounds with mickey mouse band aids.

5. Agent Uprise

Agent Uprise New Jack

Yes of course its been going on and will continue to go on for as long as governments exist. What makes this issue important is the fact that the gov. is stepping out of the shadows and not even trying to APPEAR democratic anymore.
    You know the saying "if they come for me in the day they'll come for you in the night"
    Well, its very clearly daytime (so to speak) and I think I hear a knocking on my door. What are you doing tonight?

6. alkaline

alkaline Elite Member

Hahaha. For some reason, I find that statement very funny.

7. Agent, thats correct...
    And its global(UN/NATO/EC) attitude,
    Imagine that as we speak, The former president of yugoslavia(Milochevic) is being judged in Brussels for war crimes and Clinton/blur where nominated for the Peace nobel prise...
    And all that for the same fucking war

8. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

i think milosevic is trying to get both those guys
    to testify, he's summoned them or something.
    i honestly don't think this out in the open propaganda
    will fly with too many folks outside the US, especially
    with young people.

9. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

it doesnt have to fly with people outside of the u.s. all it has to do is make us feel like we are right, then we can be completely confident in fucking over the rest of the world because its in their best interest. this isnt about quelching anti-american sentiments in other countries as much as it is stopping anti-american sentiments here. its an attempt at making US citizens into one big, blind, patriotic army that will support anything our leaders put in front of our faces. our government is realizing that if they dont feed us their propagnada, that we'll start listening to someone elses, because all people, by nature, are sheep. the government knows that as long as it has the spending dollar of the american public, it will have the spending dollar of the world. everyone follows what we do here. if we revolt, they will too. if they revolt, we'll buy chicken mcnuggets and who our government will kill them.

its all simple.

10. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

thats fine, dandy, and apparent.
    i'm still referring to the stuff beamed at
    people/countries outside the US. we both
    know its not 'just about quelching anti-american
    sentiments'. we both know its not just about
    the american people either.
    not that simple.

11. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Seems like the focus of this whole office is outside of the U.S... It has less to do with promoting jingoism and more with decieving the rest of the world. Which we've done for over 100 years at different times... The thing that really gets me is that the thrust is to invent false news. Total fabrications to bolster the US position. This is a recipe for a backfire, as more of the false stories are proven false, more of the legitimate stories will be cast into doubt. I also think that, historically, propaganda works better when it demoralizes people on a personal basis... something like a picture of Usama fucking a goat, or a pic of 5 'average' American guys who all have gigantic dicks... Or, something that appeals to them on a personal level... actually, one of the most successful propaganda leaflets from Desert Storm was a picture of 3 or 4 Iraqis sitting around and talking with a bowl of fruit in the foreground. Prominently featured in the fruit bowl was a bunch of bananas, a delicacy in Iraq. More surrendering Iraqis had that leaflet in their possesion when they gave up than any other.

Basically, I think that if you lie to people as a group and are exposed, you are immediately turned on by the group, however, if you lie to people on an indiviual basis, even if they spot the lies, they still have to organize their opposition...

12. im not witty

im not witty Guest

listen to this guy.

13. I agree with seeking on this one, The thing that makes americans so vulnerable towards propaganda is the fact that they have the luxury not to care about other countries. And before this gets misunderstood, I aint saying that americans are stupid, i'm just saying that the luxury of ignorance goes well with misleading information.

And of course its not about americans only, however i think its more aimed towards big institutions than regular people when it comes to the rest of the world.

As far as Smarts opinion, i also agree. However war-propaganda is always judged by the result. Propaganda may be better when aimed at a personal level but i really dont know the affect it has without fear getting in the way.
    US aircrafts where throwing gigantic condoms with the word 'medium' printed on the package all over vietnam, i seems that it didnt had much success as a propaganda tool though

14. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

see, on the surface i know its obviously about promoting the good deeds of the US to other countries, im just not so sure that they will buy into it, thats all. and the foreign people that will buy into it, time and time again, are dealt with so simply and effictivly that we never even catch wind of it. a starving revolutionary is still just a starving man, no matter how strongly he believs in his cause. it seems to me, that all our government is really doing, is turning up the stereo, so its mom cant hear it fucking its girlfriend in the next room. we tell the world how great we are and weither they believe it or not, we do, and then we in turn support our government in anything they see fit to do.

even more frightening than the idea of our government openly spreading propoganda, is their reasoning behind it. if they've done this much fucked up stuff without ever kicking the media machine into high gear, what then, are they about to do, that would require such pre-emptive damage control?
    iraq anyone?
    the impending and complete fall out between isreal and palestine?

15. fiberoptical

fiberoptical New Jack

One of the keys to dis-information is present the truth as a lie, and vice versa.Until the whole thing gets jumbled, and researchers are sent off onto dead end sidetracks. The creation of an office, is merely a dog and pony show for us...the propaganda machine has been in full effect for years. All US media must go through censors before it is released on the public, and madison avenue falls under this umbrella also.
    If you look at the way news is dissiminated, it is done so in a very precise fashion.A breif snippet is told to us, a summary, and it must contain some kind of bodycount or legal type scandal.Then, it disappears never to surface again.There are new stories everyday, but none of the real issues at hand are dealt with and the core of the story never comes up again.The real issues are buried...it is fully cyclical.Ever notice when something big has happened, there convenienlty seems to be some "random" act of violence happening to distract the masses? Watch how precise it happens. The fact we are now openly told of the office, is merely a mindfuck to trick us into submission to the overall plan.
    The shadow is now showing itself in the light.
    newspeak...1984.. winston smith is proud.