1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Mini Disk

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by LASFOAK, Feb 24, 2003.

1. LASFOAK

LASFOAK New Jack

Mini Disk

Discussion started by LASFOAK - Feb 24, 2003

im contemplating whether or not gettting a mini disk player if you have one give me yo feed back on it

LASFOAK - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. Rectum

Rectum 12oz Senior Member

Rectum - Replied Feb 24, 2003

I GOT one my brother got one anout ten of my friends got them and everylast one of em broke ...they are shit

Rectum - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  3. dork

dork 12oz Member

dork - Replied Feb 24, 2003

get that shit... if i were you i'd steal it

dork - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  4. Basic

Basic 12oz Member

Basic - Replied Feb 24, 2003

if your gonna get one
    get a good one , not a cheapo deal
    sony all the way , their pretty cool.
    id get one if i wasnt broke

Basic - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. Giving Tree

Giving Tree 12oz Senior Member

Giving Tree - Replied Feb 24, 2003

sony invented it.. amazing.

my friend swears by them.. amazing quality.. and durability...

HUGE in japan.. i mean HUGE.

Giving Tree - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  6. some pittsburgh flavor

some pittsburgh flavor 12oz Elite Member

some pittsburgh flavor - Replied Feb 24, 2003

you might be better off getting a cd burner... just because no one has mini disc players and you would have to listen to headphones... if you're burning your mp3s on it anyway, i say use the technological medium for listening to music of the age; this year (and a few to follow) being the CD.

some pittsburgh flavor - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. FifTy CaL.

FifTy CaL. 12oz Junior Member

FifTy CaL. - Replied Feb 24, 2003

MP3 player...

FifTy CaL. - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  8. Bellbeefer

Bellbeefer 12oz Senior Member

Bellbeefer - Replied Feb 24, 2003

i had one ....i wasn't a big fan.

Bellbeefer - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. post.

post. 12oz Member

post. - Replied Feb 24, 2003

I LOVE MINE!!! I have almost put all of my digital music and burned Cds onto MiniDisks. super convenient. expensive, but so worth it. My only problem with it is that my computer takes a really long time to convert the tracks to the proper format.

oh and I've replaced the AA battary a total of once in the last 6 weeks of almost nonstop playing.

post. - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  10. When

When 12oz Loyalist

When - Replied Feb 24, 2003

id say go with an ipod or some other type of mp3 player
    20 gigs of storage and good quality
    mini disc just kinda came and went the way of the dinosaur pretty quickly

When - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  11. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

seeking - Replied Feb 24, 2003

i used to love mine... then it kind of broke and, no, actually someone broke into my car and stole the power cord, thts what happend. but yeah, i loved it. BUT that was two years ago.
    unless you're recording shit with a mic, live, i say go with an mp3 player, and infact, even if you are recording live, go with this here 300 bucks. 20 gigs, plus it plays movies.
    thing is dope. ya heard.

seeking - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  12. VAITOMANOCU

VAITOMANOCU 12oz Member

VAITOMANOCU - Replied Feb 24, 2003

i just ordered an external cd burner, should be receiving it shortly...it looks like my days of buying cds, at least new cds, is comming to an end.
    in terms of MDs, get a good one, like one that just came out. i bought a sony one probably about 3 years ago and now it won't record anything. i use it alot for recording live music, like bootlegging shows and what not, and it sucks when you get home and say "oh lemme put on this md of this great show i just saw" and then it reads it and all you see is "BLANK"...
    i hear portable DAT recorders are the way to go if you plan on hooking up a mic to record live shows. they go for a little more but i hear there are less problems with those, and you can use them in the studios, you know DATS...i dont know really, but yeah it works better

VAITOMANOCU - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. Vlad

Vlad 12oz Senior Member

Vlad - Replied Feb 24, 2003

Vlad - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  14. Al Green

Al Green 12oz Veteran Member

Al Green - Replied Feb 24, 2003

i have the Sony net md type r MZ-N1
    .. whatever i love this thing its my third player/recorder i have gotten.
    its got a wonderful interface and adocking port for both recharging and loading music from the computer.

It runs on a file format called Atec-4 or something.
    its a compression format like mp3 except designed for md's. It allows for you to store 2, 4 or 6 hour md's rather then 74 or 80 minutes. although the sampling rate/ resolution does change i find that its better then mp3 in terms of garbling noise and bunk.

I can carry 3 discs and be set for days. I take alot of long trips and im rarely home so i find this really worthwhile. 5 yrs ago really buying into md technology in America was worth it unless you were a vinyl freak.
    but since digital rather then analog conversion has become more standard here its actually a nice device.

positives. you arent restricted to a computer for sampling sounds and music like you would be with an ipod or any other mp3 device.
    although there is no harddrive and its disc based it is not like a cd and allows for countless re-recordings without losing quality. Although i cant say its 100% perfect when it comes to skips. its still pretty damn good.

aesthetically theyre beautiful little machines. magnesium and aluminum cases (im not a fan of plastic), control wands, analog and digital input.
    what its lacking at least in consumer models is digital output.

the program thats packaged with it is called OpenMG jukebox or something.. i dont mind the interface its actually laid out pretty well and simple to learn. What i cant figure out is how to import audio in from my md unit. (if someone knows id really appreciate it) the reason for the md compression format (atec-4) from what i understand is an attempt to limit file sharing... im sure some smart person has figured a way around this. Transfer speeds from computer are relatively fast depending on your computer (up to 32x) which is great. when it has to convert files.. lets say from mp3 or wav it may vary.
    The second program packaged is a simple cd to md burner for converting a whole cd album. this is lives up to its namesake.

Im a big supporter. but im not going to lie ive had some hardships with mine.
    heres a good site if youre just getting into MD technology

www.minidisco.com

if theres any other md heads in here or anyone knows an MD forum please let me know.

-bobby

Al Green - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  15. fr8lover

fr8lover 12oz Elite Member

fr8lover - Replied Feb 24, 2003

i got a slimx mp3cd/asf/fm/cd player and i love it. nice metal tough, looks good. real slim (as the name says) and i can put a couple hundred mp3s on a cd and be set for weeks on end. its got a great control stick with a kickass menu system and i can even listen to Morning Edition on the way to class on it.

fr8lover - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages: