min wage in CA to be raised to $10/hr

KILZ FILLZ

First to $9 then to $10 over the next couple years

I'm no economist I feel like this is gonna do more harm than good

Small business will have to pay health care for employees and give em a $2 raise over the next couple years?

I see people getting let go and the employees left behind having to pick up the slack

Prices in store will most likely go up to make up for the extra $

A guy working a drive thru will be making only a few dollars less that some one in a skilled job.

And what about supervisors making around $10 now? I doubt they will be getting raises too

Shit seems fucked up

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: min wage in CA to be eaised to $10/hr

and even still, adjusted for inflation, California’s minimum wage is less than the minimum wage workers earned in 1979

BOATS the money of the world is being concentrated into the hands of a few.

the richest 1% control 40% of the US's money

that is totally stupid

this is at least a tiny, small start to getting equality back on track

if someone can own a small business, that is also required to give employees health care under ACA, they can afford it. .. you have to have FIFTY full time employees to be affected by obamacare.

so people can stop paying their executives more than the president.

the other thing, is that the poor spend all of their money. in other words, people making $10/hr have to live paycheck to paycheck and it all goes right back in

to me it's ludicrous to think that withholding that money.. so the rich business owner can keep it? ..will help our economy.

the wealthy don't spend their money, they get free shit

i'll cite very recent history: Bush put in the tax cuts (helping the wealthy,) spent bunches of money, and our economy collapsed. (it wasn't only about housing deregulation and market deregulation, though both those things were part of it too.)

Everyone benefits when everyone benefits...

$10/hr is still a trivial wage that is nearly impossible to live on with just one job, let alone responsibilities.

Like symbols said, those extra dollars go right back into the community--nobody takes their $1 raise and puts it into savings--communities of better paid workers are stronger communities. Workers that are paid more are more likely to go out to eat, partake in local activities, and generally spend their money locally.

Will it hurt? Possibly, but that is the fault of the incumbents that have not kept wages in line with inflation, they still aren't, but its a small start.

One negative guarantee from this is an increase in illegal immigrant labor.

That's kind of a funny line of reasoning Fist, are you saying that we should be keeping the wages of everyone as low as possible to dissuade immigration?

When the guy in the drive through makes more we all benefit.

I misread the title and thought it said "to be raised by $10/hr", now that would something.

Ten bucks a hour just ain't what it used to be and many jobs that pay minimum wage do not provide 40 hour weeks which just makes it worse.

The ones on a shoestring will mostly not be affected because they are too small for it to matter. If a few hundred dollars will make a small business go out of business, it will be going out of business anyways. The bigger ones will whine about it the loudest because they are the greediest.

I really do not buy into this hurting small businesses. I also think that this does not raise the minimum wage enough.

Goes nowhere near raising it to a satisfactory level.

The biggest companies will be the loudest.

But I maintain the smallest companies will be the most affected. If you only employ ten people, in the current way people are spending money, $400 a week could easily be what you are taking as a business owner to live on. If this is the case, (I must admit I don't know the laws on rosters over there) the employer will have no option but to cut the hours of staff to keep in line with the budget they are already maintaining to stay afloat.

I don't wish those delusional libertarians show. They would just tell us that there should not be a minimum wage and the market will sort itself out and the people will be better earning lower wages because the businesses will be forced to sell cheaper products.

After awhile, they become a broken record and boring.

Yea I think you're onto something there. The guy who is good for nothing other than to tighten a bolt every 30 seconds on an assembly line is really getting sidelined by the development of more efficient means of production. Fact is, those people aren't going anywhere; there will always be an unemployable class. I don't have an answer for those people, but giving them more money for doing entry level work isn't the answer. Just like creating bullshit jobs for them, more and more of which are federal these days, isn't the answer. That's just a bandaid on a wound that desperately needs a tourniquet.

I don't have an answer for those people, but giving them more money for doing entry level work isn't the answer.

This is where you are wrong. It might seem like more money, but that is only on the surface. If you take inflation into account, the minimum wage is actually quite lower and has not kept up with what it was worth years ago. So in all actuality, businesses are paying less now a days then they have ever paid. So it isn't more money they are asking for, they want to have a fair wage for what they are doing. Or at least the same amount that they were getting paid even 1 decade ago.