MILAN, Italy (CNN) -- A small plane has hit a skyscraper in central Milan

kaesthebluntedwonder

MILAN, Italy (CNN) -- A small plane has hit a skyscraper in central Milan, setting the top floors of the 30-storey building on fire and killing at least one person.

There were conflciting reports as to whether it was a terrorist attack or an accident after the pilot of the Piper tourist plane reported that he had lost control.

The plane, en route from Sofia in Bulgaria to Rome, Italy, smashed into the Pirelli building's 26th floor at 5:50 p.m. (1450 GMT) on Thursday.

There were reports of office workers trapped in the building's elevators.

The building houses government offices and is next to the city's central train station. Several storeys of the building were engulfed in fire.

Italian TV showed a huge gaping hole in the side of the Pirelli building with smoke pouring from the opening.

[Dozens of firefighters are at the scene]

Dozens of firefighters are at the scene

RAI state TV reported that the plane had apparently radioed an SOS because of engine trouble.

Earlier though, in Rome, the senate's president, Marcello Pera, said it "very probably" appeared to be a terrorist attack.

Police and ambulances are at the scene. Many people were on the streets as they left work for the evening at the time of the crash.

TV pictures from the scene evoked horrific memories of the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the collapse of the building's twin towers.

"I heard a strange bang so I went to the window and outside I saw the windows of the Pirelli building blown out and then I saw smoke coming from them," said Gianluca Liberto, an engineer who was working in the area told Reuters.

The building is known as the Pirelli skyscraper but the Italian tyre and cable company does not operate out of the building.

The Pirelli skyscraper, located near the central train station, is one of the world's tallest concrete buildings. It is about 415 feet high and was designed in the 1950s by architects Gio Ponti and Pier Luigi Nervi. The building is one of the main symbols of Milan, along with the city's cathedral.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/04/18/italy.milan/story.wide.building.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This is sad bro, that was milans biggest skyscraper, all constructed from concrete....

Milan is a beautiful city, i used to go to a place called roxy rings thats about 10 min from the place that was hit. It was a cool ass bar that had a skate park in the basement and like 8 different dance floors, including a hip hop one where all the italians break danced at....lots of graffiti, and all the walls were legal in it....it was a pretty dope place..

Railroadjerk, you italian?

Italiano e fiero... ;)

Guest railroadjerk

i'm second generation, half italian...

100% nel mio cuore

seriously though...this is pretty tragic, milan is a beautiful city.

"OH MY GOD, if pirelli ceases to exist, where will i get the tires for my 22 inch rims? everyone knows if you aint rollin on pirellis, your rollin on bullshit! "

word...my old jetti had those, but the new one doesnt....yeah seeks i didnt tell ya, got a new jetti, white again...shes got 16 in tires, better then bike tires im used to on my cars...so we'll go rippin around next time your out...

oh and that plane shit is fucking weird and gives me the creeps....

well you could see jazz at other places too, but the trio in residence at the vanguard this week is extra special...straight up bebop, no bullshit, just the real, real shit...

its the barry harris trio...this guy must be about 80 years old, as well as the rest of the trio..just bring a towel or napkins to clean yourself up, cuz i had to do that a couple times it was so swingin...

and i dont know if youre a student or what but if you are bring your id and present it so you can get a $10 discount, yinahmean? please do yourself a favor......bring a girl

aaaaahhhhh.....ha....

hmmm lemme run it by my jazz aficianado(sp?) boy and see if he wants to check it out....my girl is eh about jazz, more of a straight coltrane fan....um if it looks like it i email ya and let ya know im coming down....i still gotta email ya about that brad show!!

Originally posted by seeking

OH MY GOD, if pirelli ceases to exist, where will i get the tires for my 22 inch rims? everyone knows if you aint rollin on pirellis, your rollin on bullshit!

show some respect you fucking moron.

:rolleyes:

Guest NoamChomsky

ronald reagan might know

Werd,because we all know Nicaragua has never been the scene of any violence.WTF dude?

Archived