Microsoft service pack 2

Guest spectr

hey how many people have installed the new microsoft service pack 2 and if you have what have you noticed that it does to your computer?

i personally hate it the drm ( digital rights management ) fucked some of my videos and it wont let me play them anymore also i had heard about this happening becuase of drm but never experienced it till now some games i uhm installed on my system because i lost the cds started not running right ( people running into walls, not doing what i tell them to, random crap that makes the game unplayable ) but on the plus side it does have some nice networking features, and it offers some protection from real old hacks, glad i went dual install and run debian the rest of the time i hate windows. anyone else notice anything cool about it or anything that sucks?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

sp2 up and running in my system...i dont see anything extra cool in it, i already have a firewall and all that protection shit. I upgraded cause its my policy to upgrade.

Shit that happened so far:

NERO illegal copy fucked up big time

The only thing anyone needs to know is that you need to be extra carefull with the firewall settings..do that correctly and everything will be fine.

hey tesseract we should be able to uninstall the digital rights management parts of it i looked through the entire update last night trying to find it but its packaged with other stuff when i find it i will let you know and the firewall is crap, java exploits. so its not just me that got fucked by the drm, i was wondering about that it only took a couple things out most of my stuff still seems to work.

You can just tell windows media player not to get licenses for your content. Windows media player sucks anyway, so it's no big loss.

I'm thinking of securing my WLAN, but I'm anticipating a monstrous pain in the ass getting all 6 computers in my house on it.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Not sure if i was fucked by the drm...Nero 6 had some compatibility issues with sp2..i went and dled the patch from nero and when i applied it the fuckin thing traced that i had an illegal copy of nero and locked the program...stoopid me..i now run NERO 6 RELOADED which is sp2 combatible but i only have the demo....uh oh.

anyway, this is a good thread..lets keep it going.

If you're using mozilla and the gmail extention on it, make sure you exlude it from the firewall or you it wont be working

Originally posted by Nekro@Nov 5 2004, 04:01 PM

You can just tell windows media player not to get licenses for your content. Windows media player sucks anyway, so it's no big loss.

I'm thinking of securing my WLAN, but I'm anticipating a monstrous pain in the ass getting all 6 computers in my house on it.

yeah i know i just use divx player instead, i hated the fact that it forced me to upgrade and i tried that and it told me i needed a license for some stuff on my computer, but yeah man securing your wlan isnt that hard well enough security so that next door neighboor cant use all your bandwith just slap a password on it and bam only people you want and those who really want in will be able to get on it. and as far as the firewall goes it is crap, go buy a firewall program from comp usa or whatever or set up a gateway machine as a firewall i am willing to bet in a week or 2 microsoft is going to be issuing patches for expliots on its firewall...

Originally posted by Tesseract@Nov 5 2004, 04:22 PM

sp2 up and running in my system...i dont see anything extra cool in it, i already have a firewall and all that protection shit. I upgraded cause its my policy to upgrade.

Shit that happened so far:

NERO illegal copy fucked up big time

The only thing anyone needs to know is that you need to be extra carefull with the firewall settings..do that correctly and everything will be fine.

what exactlly fucked up with nero for you tess , mines been acting funny as well.

Guest imported_Tesseract

The cursor was going nuts after i installed sp2 when i run nero and i'd get a 'theres a known uncompatibility issue with this version of windows'..besides that, it would lag like a motherfucker

Originally posted by badmotorfinger@Nov 5 2004, 08:50 PM

well since my upgrade , i havent been able to get it to recognize any blank cds , without violent persuasion. and you know me with the computers , im a lover , not a domestic violence case waiting to happen.

yeah i didnt notice that until you brough it up shit 40 ozs of olde e and vikes for my broken rib say but shit i got to tell it to burn cds