MEPS

Ronnie Dobbs

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 5 years later...
i'm glad i don't have to deal w/ recruiters anymore.

i fucking hated mine. complete tool.

what branch are you trying to get in grim?

Navy

I seriously considered joining the air force when I got out of high school, but being a military brat growing up, I didn't really want to live the lifestyle that my Dad did when I was growing up.

Since I had 11 years to build up a nice little criminal record, I had to go through a lot of shit to get in. Being that the CO for our district tends to not let people in that have got into a little trouble in the past. I had two drug charges that were dismissed and were supposed to be cleared from my record. Trouble is they popped up on my FBI background check, so now I kind of look like a liar since I didn't mention them to MEPS or my recruiter.

All in all though my recruiter is a pretty decent guy. He is not full of shit like most others are and has done a lot to help me with all my background shit.

@absentminded

my fault for the ignorance- so recruiting is a rotating duty that people on a particular base take turns doing?

when people get shit from the recruiter, is it just like shit talk? i know you all got your reasons for joining, but that aint exactly respect when you commit and they give you shit for committing. i would walk right up on out of there. but then again, i wouldn't be there in the first place, and i dont know you alls individual circumstances.

This is about the best advice you can get on the subject

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=22346&sid=c3d452b9dd10a3d8f33f46f81791bb64

Recruiters and MEPS people are trying to fuck you over. They have jobs they have to push. Do some research on your own and see whats available before you sign anything. If that means delaying going to MEPS, or having to go back and renegotiate your contract, so be it. If your recruiter whines about that, fuck him and go get a new one at the recruiting station down the road. There is a lot of cool shit you can do enlisting off the street, don't end up at a desk in korea, or driving a truck in the reserves for 6 years, because you are too lazy to do a google search.

@absentminded

my fault for the ignorance- so recruiting is a rotating duty that people on a particular base take turns doing?

when people get shit from the recruiter, is it just like shit talk? i know you all got your reasons for joining, but that aint exactly respect when you commit and they give you shit for committing. i would walk right up on out of there. but then again, i wouldn't be there in the first place, and i dont know you alls individual circumstances.

yes, recruiting duty is a secondary job you can take for a few years. doing well as a recruiter (meeting quotas, filling jobs that need to be filled) doesnt directly lead to a promotion for the recruiter but does count torword his "score" that does lead to a promotion, thats why a recruiter will always tell you they dont get rewarded for making quotas.

thats good advice stereotype. another thing i would like to add is, if anyone is thinking of joining let the recruiter know your running the show. you pick the job you want and ship when you want. dont let them steer you into a job they want you to take. get it all in writing. they will tell you they cant guarantee anything, thats bullshit, if they tell you that tell them you wont sign. recruiting is at an all time low dont let the recruiter run the show.

"everyone who enlisted into the military was lied to by their recruiter."

period.

but, keep in mind--most recruiters were assigned to that duty, they did NOT volunteer to be there. so hate the job they're doing, and hate their methods, but they didn't sign up to be salesmen.

but yes, do much research before you join--research what your asvab scores allow you--if you're of true value (ie decent GT score and look to be acceptable physically) you can get more bonus money, special MOS options, and even get special schools added to your contract.

odds are you will not get your base of choice, and as far as i know that cannot be put into a contract, though.

"everyone who enlisted into the military was lied to by their recruiter."

period.

but, keep in mind--most recruiters were assigned to that duty, they did NOT volunteer to be there. so hate the job they're doing, and hate their methods, but they didn't sign up to be salesmen.

but yes, do much research before you join--research what your asvab scores allow you--if you're of true value (ie decent GT score and look to be acceptable physically) you can get more bonus money, special MOS options, and even get special schools added to your contract.

odds are you will not get your base of choice, and as far as i know that cannot be put into a contract, though.

your right about your job choice not being put into your contract but their is a form (dont remember the number) that you and your recruiter sign that guarantee you the job of your choice assuming you have the scores for it but you said that most recriuters are assigned to this and didnt volunteer? they are not obligated to do a B billlet most people do this because it increases your chances for promotion. if you decided to do a B billet you have options such as drill instructor, recruiter, MOS instructor, and if your a marine MSG. so most likely your recruiter did choose that position.

I wasn't lied to by my recruiter, not at all. In fact, during my last rotation I ran into him in the chow hall, we sat and broke bread. Good dude.

There are plenty of resources available to anyone interested in joining any service that give the bullshit sales pitch a quick reality check.

Fuck being a recruiter though, seriously.

your right about your job choice not being put into your contract but their is a form (dont remember the number) that you and your recruiter sign that guarantee you the job of your choice assuming you have the scores for it but you said that most recriuters are assigned to this and didnt volunteer? they are not obligated to do a B billlet most people do this because it increases your chances for promotion. if you decided to do a B billet you have options such as drill instructor, recruiter, MOS instructor, and if your a marine MSG. so most likely your recruiter did choose that position.

maybe marines you choose it.

in the army (as i understand it) you either straight up select it (not many) or you select yes on a sheet--which has recruiter, drill, cadre, and korea on the same check box. you can say you're willing to do it on your ASK (assignment satisfaction key), but its not like a volunteer program.

Archived