Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Medical Use Of Maggots.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by High Priest, Sep 20, 2004.

1. High Priest

High Priest Elite Member

A comment in the Peanut Butter Cup thread got me thinking about this. I remember in Anatomy learning about how maggots could be used for diff medical reasons, and so.. well here's a thread on it: *The picture's are pretty heavy, i would steer clear of those if you have a weak stomach.

Info: Maggot therapy, also known as biosurgery, larval therapy, or maggot debridement therapy, is a carefully controlled, artificially induced benign myiasis, in which the medical practitioner aims to take advantage of the ability of maggots to break down and ingest infected or necrotic tissue.

History:The founder of modern maggot therapy is William Baer (1872-1931), Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Maryland6.

He described how, during the First World War, he had treated two wounded soldiers who had remained overlooked on the battlefield for seven days having sustained compound fractures of the femur and large flesh wounds of the abdomen and scrotum. On arrival at the hospital they showed no sign of fever or septicaemia despite the very serious nature of their injuries and their prolonged exposure to the elements without food or water. On removal of their clothing Baer found `thousands and thousands of maggots that filled the entire wounded area.' To Baer's surprise, when these were removed `there was practically no bare bone to be seen and the internal structure of the wounded bone as well as the surrounding parts was entirely covered with most beautiful pink granulation tissue that one could imagine'. This at a time when the mortality rate for compound fractures of the femur was about 75-80%. Support for Baer's observations was provided by Crile & Martin9 who also reported that soldiers whose wounds were infested with maggots did far better than their wounded comrades who wounds were not similarly afflicted.

Commercial Production: In the absence of any equally effective alternative for the treatment of osteomyelitis or infected soft tissue injuries, the use of maggots spread quickly during the 1930's. In the USA, Lucilia sericata larvae were produced by Lederle Corporation15 and sold for $5 per 1000 (now equivalent to about $100).

Application: The number of maggots applied to a wound depends upon a number of factors, including the age and size of the maggot, the amount of necrotic tissue present, and most importantly, the size of the wound. Originally a maximum of about 10 maggots per cm2 was suggest as recommended by Robinson7 but now it has been recognized that in most instances, provided the surrounding skin is well protected, the maximum number of maggots used is probably not critical.

It is more cost effective to use a large number of maggots for a short period of time than a small number for an extended period. The BRU has produced a simple calculator to help practitioners decide how many pots of maggots they require for different sized wounds containing varying amounts of slough.

On to the pictures:(Second Warning)

http://www.larve.com/Images/images_legulce...avity_wound.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

is the second one a vagina?

once a couple years ago teacher told the class a story about when he was a nurse. a wheelchair bound woman was also an alcoholic. she had a wheelchair accident when she was drunk, and broke her leg. it got infected, i think because she didn't get to the doctor in time. he said she was really toxic from the infection, and taking as much antibiotics as possible. the nurse and a doctor discussed what to do about it, and the nurse came up with the idea to use maggots. they ordered some maggots, and the first batch died a few hours after because of the toxicity. they put another batch on, and the woman died. then i said, "so the moral of the story is don't drink and drive", he chuckled and said yes.

3. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

That's gross.

They still use this method in the modern medical world? What happens when the maggots turn into flies?

Edit: I got called a Maggot by some crazy black woman who was leaning out her window screaming at me after I pulled in front of her car when she was speeding.

4. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

medical flytrap plants.

5. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

she probably called you 'faggot'

6. fermentor666

7. fermentor666

No, she definitly called me a "maggot".

Ask EyeForAnEye, he was there.

8. Mr. Peanut

Mr. Peanut Elite Member

i don't know about all that. but i do know that those pictures are fuckin heinous.:eek: :spent:

9. WhiteOx

WhiteOx Elite Member

:lol:

10. High priest, after i almost threw up i changed the flicks into links...if you wanna change it again do so but i really believe its better to have some control over that shit.

Hope you understand

11. RED DEVIL

RED DEVIL New Jack

I actually was sitting here eating when I saw those pics. I guess it is all in your perspective. I didn't bother me at all.

12. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

http://www.kak.ru/images/archive/17/piter/Sign-4.gif'>
    Finally.

13. Gunm

Gunm Banned

Hmmmm....okay......guess dinner won't be in order tonight! Yah!:(

14. Telo

Telo Elite Member

Shag It, Maggot, faggot, Lag It, Tag It, Nag It,

yeah....

thats all i got..

15. alure

alure Dirty Dozen Crew

it took me about 2 mins to decide on whether to click on this thread.. just thought i'd let you know..and no i didnt read what this thread is about..just couldnt do it.. but love me for trying? hahaha