Media Coverage and how we view our world...

dr. frink one

So I know people have been talking about the WTC collapse....and seeking if you don't want any more of these you can close it...but please read on.

For the past two days, I have been closely following the news coverage of these events. I can't tell weither I absolutley hate watching, am rivited to the televison, or just don't have the will to turn it off..

On a couple of stations, they broadvasted Palestinians cheering in the streets. A number of kids on here responded by saying "MAN, FUCK THEM PALESTINIANS, I SAY WE KILL THEM ALL" bullshit. I think it was really irresposible of the media to show those shots. It is footage like that that fuels the fires that have already become almost totally accepted by people in the US. I'm sure some people in the US cheered just the same (as the world trade center is both loved and hated by many) and the feelings of those kids are not the feelings of all the people in Palestine. I am not bias either way, I don't support or go against any religious groups, but I feel that the media is just deepening the hatred and stereotypes Americans have.

Understand.. I am white...atheist...and I have no ties to the Middle East...but every time anything goes wrong people immediatly point and yell "OH its those goddamn ARABS!" or something like that. I think this tragic event really should shed some light on the bias and utterly bewildering foreign policy the US has. While murders have decreased in the past few years, media coverage of murders has increased 700%...(I suggest everyone reads "Derailing Democracy" available through AK press...) People now say, through polls, that they are increasingly afraid of violent crimes, while statistically their fears are unwarranted.

I think people shold really open their eyes and try to take a look at what is going on. My heart goes out to those who have died or are injured, and I too am amazingly angry with all of this...

Today the front page of one of the newspapers in SF, where I live, said "BASTARDS" and then had a full page of the WTC going down...

any thoughts?

sorry to bother you all...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest dukeofyork

youre right, they dont KNOW osama bin laden did it. but he already has attacked the us in the past, so hes gonna get nailed for one or the others.

in spite of the 'biased' nature of the american press, the fact remains that no other country in the world grants the amount of freedom to their journalists than the US. The stories basically WILL come out. I agree that it is necessary to view foreign new shows and commentary, if only to gain the subtle difference in nuance and tone that can help signal the true feelings of 'most of the rest of the world'. However, does anyone here actually think that there were widespread reports of the insurrection in Kabul in the Afghan news? Do you think there were reports at all?

The saddest thing of all it that TV and Radio journalism are both held to the same standard as sit-coms and soap operas. That standard: ratings, ad dollars and revenue. This is the achillies heel of US journalism.

------------------

2 Can Sam

Guest young republican
Originally posted by Smart:

in spite of the 'biased' nature of the american press, the fact remains that no other country in the world grants the amount of freedom to their journalists than the US. The stories basically WILL come out. I agree that it is necessary to view foreign new shows and commentary, if only to gain the subtle difference in nuance and tone that can help signal the true feelings of 'most of the rest of the world'. However, does anyone here actually think that there were widespread reports of the insurrection in Kabul in the Afghan news? Do you think there were reports at all?

The saddest thing of all it that TV and Radio journalism are both held to the same standard as sit-coms and soap operas. That standard: ratings, ad dollars and revenue. This is the achillies heel of US journalism.

what I don't get is that our media still refuses to address this one simple question: Why would a people be happy that this happened, what have WE done to them?

I can understand why people would be happy if this happened.....would you not be happy if someone bombed the world trade center of a nation you've been brought up to believe is evil, and a source of terror in the world? people would be happy there for the same reason most of the people on this board were mad at them for being happy....

if you have seen broadcasts from Palestine, you will see more pictures of Palestinians burning both american and israeli flags...

Would you love the US if they supported the nation that you were at war with, and (in the view of some) stole the land that you see as rightfully yours, or ravaged the homes you used to live in..?

its all about perspective

The reason the news stations showed this clip, no matter how disturbing it was. Was because it IS news. This is relevant because it shows the amount of hatred displayed against the United States. It is also important that we do not jump the gun. We must keep level heads and realize that just as many of you bitch about American propaganda, these people too have been forced fed Anti U.S. propaganda themselves.

http://www.yourphotos.com/users/3693/USFlag.gif'>

[This message has been edited by Pistol (edited 09-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Pistol (edited 09-13-2001).]

palestine is mad at the US for (among other things) taking their sacred land away from them and giving it to the jews. they also are pretty unhappy that we continue to support the israeli's when their people are being murdered daily. if i hold your arms so someone else can punch you, your gonna be mad at me as well. so to them seing us as 'vulnerable' is 'payback' for what they've endured.

and fink, i couldnt agree with you more. i think the media showing those images over and over was incredibly damaging and irresponsible. it created a scapegoat and an enemy out of a people whos only real fault was feeling vindicated by a terrible event. the palestinians are not responsible for these attacks and should not made as whipping boys. outside of that situation though, ive actually been fairly ok with the medias coverage of this. its of course been a circus, but understandably so. i would like to watch something else on tv though... i want carsen back...

hate crimes againts Muslims and Arabs have just dramatically increased today. it makes me sad to see people treat people who had nothing to do with it this way. i mean damn it. this whole thing is a mess. they changed the wolrd forever. i always hope that i'll wake up and it would all go away. but it never does.

never.

I just watched one of the FOX anchors interviewing Brian Levin a former NYPD officer who now teaches at a So. Cal. University and is considered one of the top academic experts on terrorism in the US. Levin was saying that yes this is terrible, but that we need to do our homework and make sure that we have the responsible parties before we take action. He even said that on a speculative level he also believes that Bin Ladin is responsible, however he still is advocating being sure. The anchor kept pressuring him and asking him over and over whether we should just strike now while emotions were high. The anchor would not accept this expert's opinion and advice and continued to argue with him and finally cutting the interview short when it became obvious that Levin was not going to support his cause to just go "bomb the hell out of Afganistan".

Just incredible, how the media is trying to shape this situation.

Originally posted by young republican:

what I don't get is that our media still refuses to address this one simple question: Why would a people be happy that this happened, what have WE done to them?

ill catch a lot of flack for this but....if the us bombs the ones who did this there will be people celebrating in the streets in america too.i can tell from the amount of patriotism on this site alone.(i would be alot happier if the ones responsible were dealt with acordingly)but then the [?] will be saying look at the americans they are so evil...how can they dance in the street when innocent people have died.

no country is any better than the other,this is just a big fat circle.and nobodies winning.

if anyone has a problem with what ive said either e-mail me or live with it.

Originally posted by *see-phore*:

ill catch a lot of flack for this but....if the us bombs the ones who did this there will be people celebrating in the streets in america too.i can tell from the amount of patriotism on this site alone.(i would be alot happier if the ones responsible were dealt with acordingly)but then the [?] will be saying look at the americans they are so evil...how can they dance in the street when innocent people have died.

I never thought of that...but again its all about perspective

no country is any better than the other,this is just a big fat circle.and nobodies winning.

Originally posted by *see-phore*:

Guest young republican
Originally posted by Xeroshoes:

I can understand why people would be happy if this happened.....would you not be happy if someone bombed the world trade center of a nation you've been brought up to believe is evil, and a source of terror in the world? people would be happy there for the same reason most of the people on this board were mad at them for being happy....

It was a rhetorical question, but yeah I agree...

Archived