Mechassault

Weapon X

I can't wait.

from http://www.gamers.com/

Take the popular MechWarrior series from the PC, dummy it down by 500% (because apparently, console gamers can't handle anything more sophisticated than "blow crap up"), pump up the speed and action (also by 500%), and you get MechAssault. This new Xbox shooter is pure testosterone--just shoot everything and...well, blow crap up. You won't find any of the simulation elements that made MechWarrior so popular with the fans, but that's not what MechAssault is about. Sure, you'll have an occasional rescue mission here and there, and you'll get to lightly customize your 100-ton ride, but this game doesn't pretend to be anything more than a way for you to ride a giant mech to go around and destroy things.

Dan "Shoe" Hsu, Editor in Chief, EGM:

I liked the MechWarrior games on the PC, but I must say I'm glad this game won't be a compromised port. MechAssault is the Fast and the Furious of the Battletech universe. These mechs move so quickly (and "unrealistically" with their strafing and 360-degree pivoting), that this is more a straight-out action-shooter, not a MechWarrior sim. In fact, it plays faster than Halo, which means its eight-player online games should rock. I'm especially excited to try out I just hope the one-player experience has some depth and variety. If all I'll be doing is shooting everything that gets in my way, I'll be pretty disappointed.

Crispin Boyer, Features Editor, EGM:

Maybe I'll feel differently once I get to try some actual missions, but I was a little disappointed that MechAssault seemed so dummied down. At the very least, I wish it had a virtual cockpit like the PC games. It would help make the game feel a little more immersive. Still, you do get a lot of 'bots to choose from, and the mission objectives seem a lot more varied and fun than other console mech titles such as the Armored Core games or Gun Griffon. I'm most excited about the online modes, since this'll be one of the first Xbox games you can play over the Internet.

Kraig Kujawa, Senior Assc. Editor, EGM:

MechAssault had me won over the minute I saw the fully destructible cities. I've been playing these games for years, and this has the type of graphics and action I've been waiting for. Sure, it's been dummied down, but by Microsoft's own admittance, they've patterned the control over Halo, and that sure isn't a bad thing. This is definitely tailor made for a console audience, but you stuff PC mech players (like myself) will find that this has a lot to offer, I think.

release date: November, 2002.

on a side note - Halo 2 is not far off.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by crackatinnie

2nd. computer games suck

oh yeah? well, this isn't a computer game. Actually, the article is saying that the fact that it's on console makes it not as good. No matter, I still wanna try it.

There's also this game called Steel Battalion, or something or other, and it is used with a 40 button controller.

Archived