Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

McDonald's Menu to Get Rid of "Supersize"

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by TheoHuxtable, Mar 3, 2004.

1. TheoHuxtable

TheoHuxtable Senior Member

Go to Japan and ask for a large soda. It's the same size as our smalls.

Now all the fat slobs should get a hint.
    --------------------------------
    McDonald's Menu to Get Rid of Supersize
    By DAVE CARPENTER, AP

CHICAGO (March 3) - Hold the fries - at least the super-sized version. In a sign of the times, McDonald's is getting rid of the extra-large portions that had become one of its signatures. The burger giant said it has begun phasing out Supersize fries and drinks in its more than 13,000 U.S. restaurants and will stop selling them altogether by year's end, except in promotions.

The company cited the need to trim a menu that has expanded in recent years and said eliminating super-sizing is only part of that effort.

''The driving force here was menu simplification,'' spokesman Walt Riker said after McDonald's disclosed the change in strategy in a brief statement late Tuesday. ''The fact of the matter is not very many Supersize fries are sold.''

But the downsizing of super-sizing comes with fast-food companies, especially industry behemoth McDonald's, under intense pressure to cater to Americans' growing preference for healthier food options.

The move is part of McDonald's ''Eat Smart, Be Active'' initiative, which it launched last year under first-year CEO Jim Cantalupo and U.S. operations chief Mike Roberts in an attempt to revive then-stagnant U.S. sales.

McDonald's added entree salads with great success last year and has been moving to provide more fruit, vegetable and yogurt options with its Happy Meals. But the Oak Brook, Ill.-based company remains a lightning rod for public criticism - and legal action - when it comes to obesity and other health worries.

Two lawsuits claiming McDonald's hid the health risks of eating Big Macs and Chicken McNuggets were thrown out in federal court in New York last year. An award-winning documentary called ''Super Size Me'' then reaped more unwanted publicity for McDonald's. The documentary, which chronicles the deterioration of filmmaker Morgan Spurlock's health during a monthlong experiment eating nothing but McDonald's food, won a directing prize at the Sundance Film Festival and is set for wide release this spring.

Riker said the phasing out of super-sizing has ''nothing to do with that (film) whatsoever.''

The company has called the documentary ''a super-sized distortion of the quality, choice and variety available at McDonald's.'' It says the film is not about McDonald's but about Spurlock's decision to act irresponsibly by eating 5,000 calories a day - ''a gimmick to make a film.''

Richard Adams, a former McDonald's franchising executive and now an independent consultant for franchisees, said health concerns no doubt factored into the decision. But he said the company has been promising to clear up some of the ''clutter'' on its menu since adding a slew of new products in the late 1990s when domestic sales were flat.

''Now that sales have improved, it's easier to pull things off the menu,'' said Adams, who operates Franchise Equity Group. ''When sales are declining, the corporation and the franchisees are terrified at the prospect of selling a few less 42-ounce drinks. When sales are on the upswing, it's easier to admit that you can't be everything to everybody.''

Supersize fries are a 7-ounce carton - the largest of five current sizes of McDonald's fries. McDonald's will still sell ''large'' fries, the 6-ounce size, Riker said. The company did not immediately disclose other details of the menu changes, which have been quietly under way since January.

Some customers had a mixed reaction to the news.

Jamie Cox, 19, dining at a McDonald's in downtown Chicago with his girlfriend Tuesday night, said he normally super-sizes his meal but usually throws out leftover fries. ''It's a waste,'' he acknowledged. ''Once they get cold, they're nasty. But we would die without the (Supersize) drink.''

Another Chicago patron who likes Supersize, 21-year-old Ward Stare, said he could do without the extra-large portions.

''When you think about it, there's not much of a difference between the large and Supersize,'' he said. ''You just pay more. ... I don't think I would miss it that much as long as you still get a good proportion of food.''

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Elite Member

people have seriously gotten to the point where they cant make decisions for themselves,

couldnt an overweight individual just order an extra portion of fries to compensate for the loss of supersize?

if people want to eat, people WILL eat.

3. suicidebombr

suicidebombr Member

fuck Mc. Donalds. KFC kicks ass.:king:

4. Kettiecat

Kettiecat Senior Member

by KFC do you mean KITCHEN FRESH CHICKEN

seriously i understand why they would WANT to change their name but the fact that they actually did so amuses me

and exactly what is "kitchen fresh"

5. Æ°

Æ° Senior Member

This is a very convenient decision for McDonald’s, they can appear to be concerned for the health of the people and increase profit margins. It's a fact that fries are the most profitable item on fast food menus. People will need to continue to feed their expanded bellies and appetites therefore ordering 2 small fries, as opposed to one super sized fry. I have a hunch they make more ching from 2 fries than one huge one. The damage is done, people will continue to eat too much food.

I'm full of cynicism and conspiracy theories.

6. adderall

adderall Elite Member

basically what i was going to say when i opened the thread..

7. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

well DARN! I don't care.:confused:

I never eat McSchlongald's anyway.:lick:

8. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

Hahaha....I know. They can change the name all they want, we still all know what it really is.....

9. Devilush

Devilush 12oz Legend

that sucks.

i eat mcdonalds....sad to say but yes i love mcdonalds. esp their french fries. usually my sis and i would just order the super sized fries because it would be the perfect portion for us. but now we have to order a large fry? thats too small for the both of us.

10. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

its called marketing and they didn't change their name. its another acronym for Kentucky Fried Chicken.

calling it kitchen fresh is an attempt by the ad agency to make you think that KFC is just as good as home cooked chicken. you know, the kind your grandma made. I find it far more amusing that their prior campaign tried to make it sound like it was good for you. this attempt at just calling it good homemade chicken is a far better marketing strategy.

11. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

Here's what you do: get a sundae from McDonald's and a small fry. use the fries to eat the sundae. Sounds weird, but its good.

and on that note, its time for work.

12. ClueTwo

ClueTwo Veteran Member

I'm eating a Big Mac combo and a spicy chicken sandwich right now...yummy..

13. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

effyoo, great plan, i heard about this, i dont eat there,but sucks anyway

14. MANIK DEK

MANIK DEK Member

damn you beat me to it.............thats exactly what i was going to say

15. MANIK DEK

MANIK DEK Member

next thing you know thier going to stop asking ''do you want fries with that?'' after your order