1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Mayor Ray Nagin of the N.O.'s latest interview

Discussion in 'News' started by saraday, Sep 2, 2005.

1. saraday

saraday 12oz Senior Member

Mayor Ray Nagin of the N.O.'s latest interview

Discussion started by saraday - Sep 2, 2005

saraday - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. !@#$%

!@#$% Moderator Crew

!@#$% - Replied Sep 2, 2005

GET OFF YOUR ASSES!!!!!!!!

this is why i pay taxes?!?!?

motherfucker i hate this country some goddamn times!!!

you know why though
    it's all poor black people
    dubyas attitude: they didn't vote for him anyway, so fuck em.

!@#$% - Rank: Moderator Crew - Messages:
  3. saraday

saraday - Replied Sep 2, 2005

i dont even know if he's capeable of having a thought that deep

4. Krakatau

Krakatau 12oz Member

Krakatau - Replied Sep 2, 2005

I like this guy.

Krakatau - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

KING BLING - Replied Sep 2, 2005

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.nagin/index.html

New Orleans mayor lashes out at feds
    Nagin: 'They are spinning and people are dying'

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- As his city skidded deeper into chaos, New Orleans' embattled mayor accused federal officials of dragging their feet while people are dying in deplorable conditions.

Mayor Ray Nagin's voice cracked with anger and anguish Thursday night in an interview with New Orleans radio station WWL-AM. (Hear the mayor tell feds to 'get off their asses' -- 12:09.)

"We're getting reports and calls that [are] breaking my heart from people saying, 'I've been in my attic. I can't take it anymore. The water is up to my neck. I don't think I can hold out.' And that's happening as we speak." (Transcript of radio interview with Nagin)

Nagin said the time has long passed for federal authorities to act on their promises.

"You mean to tell me that a place where you probably have thousands of people that have died and thousands more that are dying every day, that we can't figure out a way to authorize the resources that we need? Come on man," he said.

"I need reinforcements," he pleaded. "I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man. This is a national disaster. (Hear Nagin's angry demand for more troops -- 1:00)

"I've talked directly with the president," he said. "I've talked to the head of the homeland security. I've talked to everybody under the sun."

After scheduled visits to devastated areas in Alabama and Mississippi, President Bush was expected to fly over the hurricane-ravaged city on Friday.

As he left the White House, Bush said, "The results are not acceptable. I'm headed down there right now."

He said he was "looking forward" to thanking people involved in disaster-relief efforts and assuring victims that short-term and long-term help is on the way.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said Thursday that he thinks the Federal Emergency Management Agency and other federal agencies have done a "magnificent job" under difficult circumstances, citing their "courage" and "ingenuity."

Insisting that aid is coming as fast as possible, Chertoff said, "You can't fly helicopters in a hurricane. You can't drive trucks in a hurricane."

FEMA Director Michael Brown told CNN on Friday, "My heart breaks. What we're doing, we're ramping up." (See video of CNN asking why FEMA is clueless about conditions -- 2:11 )

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said she hoped the amount of needed aid would begin arriving Friday.

"I'm not going to stand here and play the blame game," Blanco said. "We have a problem. Let's get to the problem."

The tempers of those waiting for food, water and relief from relentless heat continued to boil Friday as they waited for help to arrive, some in shocking conditions that were only getting worse. At least one large explosion rocked the city early Friday.

In the radio interview, Nagin's frustration was palpable.

"I've been out there man. I flew in these helicopters, been in the crowds talking to people crying, don't know where their relatives are. I've done it all man, and I'll tell you man, I keep hearing that it's coming. This is coming, that is coming. And my answer to that today is BS, where is the beef? Because there is no beef in this city. "

Nagin said, "Get every Greyhound bus in the country and get them moving."

Nagin called for a moratorium on press conferences "until the resources are in this city."

"They're feeding the people a line of bull, and they are spinning and people are dying," he said.

"I don't know whether it's the governor's problem, or it's the president's problem, but somebody needs to get ... on a plane and sit down, the two of them, and figure this out right now," Nagin said.

"They thinking small, man, and this is a major, major deal," he said.

"Get off your asses and let's do something."

The mayor said except for a few "knuckleheads," the looting is the result of desperate people just trying to find food and water to survive.

Nagin blamed the outbreak of crime and violence on drug addicts who are cut off from their drug supplies and wandering the city "looking to take the edge off their jones."

Nagin is in his first term as mayor. He was sworn in May 2002. A Democrat, he was a popular reform candidate who promised to clean up the city's political corruption. He's a former cable company executive.

6. saraday

saraday - Replied Sep 2, 2005

i like Nagin, too.... the unedited 12 minute interview is really intense..

7. SF1

SF1 12oz Elite Member

SF1 - Replied Sep 3, 2005

I like this guys attitude. America needs more polititians with common sense like him.

SF1 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

shai - Replied Sep 3, 2005

he's probably going to come out looking like a hero...good for him. i just saw a clip of him walking with george bush...nagin looked like he was about ready to serve the prez...he's right, i realize FEMA and the national guard take time to mobilize, but seriously...if i had left my house on tuesday, i could have hitchhiked or hopped trains and been there by now...what's their excuse? i hope he can get folks to rally around him, crack some skulls. it's hard for me to watch this on TV...i can't imagine what he must be feeling, it's his fucking CITY. that's one strong man. i wish him the best, and all the luck in the world.

shai - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  9. KaBar2

KaBar2 12oz Senior Member

KaBar2 - Replied Sep 3, 2005

I tell you what I wish---I wish the people of New Orleans had decided twenty years ago to limit development within the levees, and required every new home built to be built up on stilts.

They fucked up, and now they are paying for it.

KaBar2 - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  10. Biggus Dickus

Biggus Dickus 12oz Senior Member

Biggus Dickus - Replied Sep 3, 2005

Kabar is right on that, what the fuck were they thinking. I didn't really know anything about the city before this, but had I known I probably would have wondered why they built a city 8 feet below sea level that close to the ocean.

Biggus Dickus - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  11. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

shai - Replied Sep 3, 2005

think about how many cities, or major ports, that were built on floodplains...or on top of faultlines, in my case. back in the day, "risk assessment" wasn't exactly considered a high priority, or, as my dad would say, "man builds, God laughs." so, unless there was a thirty foot high wall around NOLA with a moat next to it, this was bound to happen, regardless of what anyone says, like, "we never anticipated this." to which i reply, "anticipated it? you should have COUNTED on it."

shai - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  12. ciste

ciste 12oz Member

ciste - Replied Sep 3, 2005

Ray Nagin was the best addition New Orleans has had in a long time. Before Nagin, there was Morial who was ridiculously crooked. Days after Nagin took office, he had the crooked DMV workers lined up in shackles on the news. The best part is, one of them was his own cousin. I hate when I hear the people on TV saying that Morial whould have them out of the city already. Morial would have left when he heard the storm was coming.

ciste - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. RiSC

RiSC Dirty Dozen Crew

RiSC - Replied Sep 4, 2005

I agree with what everyone else is saying.. from what i've read/heard/seen, I like Nagin.. as said, we need more politicians like him, cut the bullshit and get some fuckin help down there..

anyways, everything i feel has already been said.. anyone know where i can get the full interview?

RiSC - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  14. ASER1NE

ASER1NE 12oz Veteran Member

ASER1NE - Replied Sep 6, 2005

I like the guy simply because he says what everyone else thinks , and you dont see that often in elected officials..

ASER1NE - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  15. saraday

saraday - Replied Sep 7, 2005

ain't that the truth..

people don't think that far ahead when money is an issue. some of the areas that sustained the highest flood waters (9th ward, chalmette) are the poorest areas in the entire city. it was cheap to develop there because the ground sits a lot lower than the rest of the city.