Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Massachusetts School Superintendent Fails Literacy Test

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Smallie Bigs, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Smallie Bigs

Smallie Bigs Banned

How the fuck do you become a superintendent of a school district, punish teachers for failing the literacy test, and then fail it your damn self 3 times in a row??

Mass. School Superintendent Fails Test

LAWRENCE, Mass. - This city's superintendent of schools, who recently put two dozen teachers on unpaid leave for failing a basic English proficiency test, has himself flunked a required literacy test three times.

Wilfredo T. Laboy called his failing scores "frustrating" and "emotional." He blamed his performance on a lack of preparation and concentration, as well as the fact that that Spanish is his first language.

"It bothers me because I'm trying to understand the congruence of what I do here every day and this stupid test," Laboy told The Eagle-Tribune of Lawrence in a story published Sunday.

"What brought me down was the rules of grammar and punctuation," Laboy said. "English being a second language for me, I didn't do well in writing. If you're not an English teacher, you don't look at the rules on a regular basis."

State Education Commissioner David P. Driscoll said he is aware of Laboy's troubles with the test, but would not say how many chances Laboy would be given to pass or what the consequences of another failure could be.

He said Laboy was doing an excellent job leading the district, and is getting more time to prepare for the test. But he added, "He's going to have to pass. ... The situation will only get serious if he goes much longer without passing."

Since 1998, all Massachusetts educators — from teachers to superintendents — have had to pass the Communications and Literacy Skills Test, which measures basic reading and writing skills, including vocabulary, punctuation, grammar, spelling and capitalization.

Laboy, who receives a 3 percent pay hike this month that will raise his salary to $156,560, recently put 24 teachers on unpaid administrative leave because they failed a basic English test.

2. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

haha? I weep for the future.

3. $360

$360 Elite Member

yay for taxachussetts! we are wicked smaht!

4. mr.yuck

mr.yuck Veteran Member

The thing that disturbs me more is the fact that he had to discipline 24 teachers for not having a grasp on the basics. He isn't teaching any classes to the kids, his job is to make sure that the system runs smoothly. I don't even think that would take a 5th grade education, so i don't really see how it is relevant that he is about to lose his job over commas and semi-colons. Bah.

5. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet Elite Member

6. Sean Daley

Sean Daley Member

i bet 90% of america doesnt even know how to use a semi-colon; and the other 10% is probably most of our english teachers.

7. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

[color=FA596C]N<span style='color:F35769'>o[/color][color=EB5566]w[/color][color=E45362] [/color][color=DD505F]t[/color][color=D64E5C]h[/color][color=CE4C59]a[/color][color=C74A56]t[/color][color=C04852]'[/color][color=B8464F]s[/color][color=B1434C] [/color][color=AA4149]j[/color][color=A33F46]u[/color][color=9B3D42]s[/color][color=943B3F]t[/color][color=8D393C] [/color][color=853639]f[/color][color=7E3436]u[/color][color=773233]c[/color][color=6F302F]k[/color][color=682E2C]i[/color][color=612C29]n[/color][color=5A2926]g[/color][color=522723] [/color][color=4B251F]r[/color][color=44231C]e[/color][color=3C2119]t[/color][color=351F16]a[/color][color=2E1C13]r[/color][color=271A0F]d[/color][color=1F180C]e[/color][color=181609]d[/color][color=1F180C].[/color]</span>

8. the lawrence school system has no accredidation. if you graduate high school there it means nothing, and you cannot get into any schools. bullshit!

9. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

ahahaha what a hypocrite

10. Smallie Bigs

Smallie Bigs Banned

Yeah and you're one of those cats who used the semi-colon wrong too. You should've used a comma.

A semi-colon can be thought of as a pause that's longer than a comma, but shorter than a period.

Example:

My grandmother seldom goes to bed this early; she's afraid she'll miss out on something.

Hate-mail welcome.

11. Daze One Million

Daze One Million Elite Member

i think she was just pointing out what a semi-colon is, ";", because i bet theres people up on this board that dont know the difference

12. serum

serum Elite Member

i like watching boston public :dazed:

13. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Yeah, and you're one of those cats who can tell people that they're wrong but can't explain why. The only difference between your example and her sentence is the use of a coordinating conjunction ('and' in this case). You're technically correct but instructionally bankrupt.

Hate-mail delivered.

14. 455

455 Guest

No way.......hahahaha.

15. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

http://usinfo.state.gov/regional/eur/images/powell-111002.jpg'>

"not funny, dudes"