martial arts

coldmilkcup

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

If you plan on just doing it for a little while to learn how to fight well, take

a course in San Shou. It's basically street fighting, Kung Fu style. I took

it for a few months and it's good if you aren't going for long term.

However, if you are really looking to commit to a form for a while, go

with something more serious. I suggest Bag wa zhang or Dao Chuan.

Have fun, and be prepared to work hard.

Well depends what you want to do.... fisticuffs. swords, split rocks with you're head (qigong)...

kung fu is the root of it all so keep that in mind. most kung fu these days is wushu so it's this watered down sports stuff... it's hard to find the real deal these days. My dad trained in china... anyways.... i don't know what you want to do so i don't know what to say. tae kwon do is pretty well rounded.... judo has a crazy ass pressure point system... phillipinos got some bad ass stick fighting, askrima and arnis.... i was thinking about taking some ninjitsu myself. i think i'll go do that.

ive always wanted to do capoera, its rather interesting. i used to teach myself random shit by reading books, that doesnt work so well...anywho. read up on capoera if ur lookin for somethin thats sort of showy but also fun. its a brazillian fighting style.

the reasoning behind me taking up martial arts isn't anything spectacular, i don't particularly care for spiritual enlightenment or any of that shit, i would say it is for self defence purposes, but if i am defending myself i would love to be able to put my foot through their neck at the same time.

I think I've said something similar in regards to body building. To be honest I'm probably not your best source of info. I havn't stuck with a martial art over 3 months and I havn't fought anyone for what feels like aggggggeesss ( I think the last time I hit anyone was roughly 6 months ago.. though I'm not sure that one counts)....

But it seems to me all the good fighters I know are just aggressive people. They are good at fighting because they do alot of it. Conversly I know a few people who have spent years training at martial arts and while could probably kick my arse certainly would not beat anyone who has had alot of real life experience. And for that matter probably would have it in them to beat me down even though technically I'm sure they are able....

I'm not suggesting you go and pick alot of fights with people (though if you do decide to do that, make sure you post pics) . All I'm saying is if you do a martial art, its probably not worth your while if you are doing it soley so you can fuck people up if you have to. The chances a fair few people will still be able to put it over you.

If it helps one of the dudes I have particularly in my mind does muay thai and has been for years. He wouldn't beat a dish rag in a street fight (he's also a very gentle dude.. mabye your more ghetto fab .. who knows )

Silent Bob brings a good point about training and your real world situations. Martial Arts is all about learning your forms and florettas or whatever so well it becomes second nature. People think they can just learn a few moves and all of a sudden they are mr. badass... no. If you have to stop and think of your techniques you have lost already. Everything should be fluid and seamless.... Then if you happen to be fighting an advanced fighter you have to be careful cause they can anticipate your moves by being familiar with the art as well. The ultimate objective is to learn the art so well that not only is it second nature but it has become wholly integrated with your being so it grows with you.

i have to disagree with some other statements in this thread--first of all, wing chun does not suck. whoever said that either had a bad teacher or didn't study it long enough to use it right. second, taekwondo is not a well rounded style. it's one of the worst styles for self defense. it's a sport that emphasises high kicks. try that in a fight. i've fought taekwondo guys at mixed tournaments before---and beat 3rd degree black belts pretty easily. get close range and they can't do shit. if you take a korean martial art take hapkido. much better for self defense. but i'd say if you're between muay thai and aikido, and your main focus is self defense you should go with muay thai. aikido is more directed towards spiritual and inner power, and it takes at least 5 years of hard training to be able to use it effectively for self defense. so if you aren't as into the mental/spiritual aspects, aikido isn't for you at this point. most martial arts schools of any kind offer a free trial class. you should just try a few out and see where you feel comfortable.

i don't know that much about tae kwon do... i was saying it seemed pretty well rounded to me.... except for maybe ground fighting. Alot of arts have insufficient ground fighting techniques so people take supplementary arts.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I'm signing up for capoeira in August.

And before anyone starts, no, I'm not going for self-defense. I wanna flip the fuck out.

try to find the movie "ong-bak". it will def make you want to learn that muay thai shit. illest action movie ever. one of my boys is vicious with jujitsu. ive seen him put it into effect for real and hes deadly. hes a big boy too. but its only practical for one on one fights, as its all holds and grappling. anyway, i suggest you decide based on how radical the weapons they use are and how long it takes you to be able to use them. i also suggest you give yourself an awesome kung fu name. like milk-fu, or double lucky milk dragon. good ruck.

Originally posted by SilentBob

I'm not suggesting you go and pick alot of fights with people (though if you do decide to do that, make sure you post pics) .

:lol:

oh.. and capoeria is more dancing than fighting. i guess there's supposed to be some uber bad ass capoeria cat in my city, i emailed him once, he was cool.. but i got busy.. im too fat for this stuff now. i just gotta get in shape.

vanity

yeah i know capoera is more dancing. do u know why? its pretty cool actually. in brazil, it was developed by the slaves, and because they werent allowed to practice any form of martial arts they disguised it as dance. there are two types of capoera, angola and something else. one is very slow paced and more for the dance sort, but the other one is pretty interesting. just interesting tid bit i thought u might like...

Archived