Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

martial arts

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by coldmilkcup, Jun 12, 2004.

1. coldmilkcup

coldmilkcup Member

in the next couple of weeks i am thinking of starting some martial arts training, has anyone got any preferences or recommendations as to better disciplines. i am thinking possibly muay thai or aikido.

2. Jackson

Jackson Veteran Member

My friend has done shaolin for the last couple of years, that shits pretty dope, or kung fu type shit might be fun too...

3. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

Systema seems neat. Wing Chun sucks, take my word for it.

4. S@T@N

S@T@N Senior Member

Someone else laugh at this. Please.

5. S@T@N

S@T@N Senior Member

If you plan on just doing it for a little while to learn how to fight well, take
    a course in San Shou. It's basically street fighting, Kung Fu style. I took
    it for a few months and it's good if you aren't going for long term.

However, if you are really looking to commit to a form for a while, go
    with something more serious. I suggest Bag wa zhang or Dao Chuan.

Have fun, and be prepared to work hard.

6. villain

villain Veteran Member

Well depends what you want to do.... fisticuffs. swords, split rocks with you're head (qigong)...
    kung fu is the root of it all so keep that in mind. most kung fu these days is wushu so it's this watered down sports stuff... it's hard to find the real deal these days. My dad trained in china... anyways.... i don't know what you want to do so i don't know what to say. tae kwon do is pretty well rounded.... judo has a crazy ass pressure point system... phillipinos got some bad ass stick fighting, askrima and arnis.... i was thinking about taking some ninjitsu myself. i think i'll go do that.

7. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

i wish there was a larger asian population here... all we have is kenpo karate.

8. Fabo 2

Fabo 2 Member

avoid anything where they claim to teach you how to kill a man with your little finger
    my little brother does silat. works well for him

9. shape1369

shape1369 Member

ive always wanted to do capoera, its rather interesting. i used to teach myself random shit by reading books, that doesnt work so well...anywho. read up on capoera if ur lookin for somethin thats sort of showy but also fun. its a brazillian fighting style.

10. coldmilkcup

coldmilkcup Member

the reasoning behind me taking up martial arts isn't anything spectacular, i don't particularly care for spiritual enlightenment or any of that shit, i would say it is for self defence purposes, but if i am defending myself i would love to be able to put my foot through their neck at the same time.

11. TheTruthHrtz

TheTruthHrtz Junior Member

Im partial to these three in this order:
    Hsing I (linear)
    Pa Kua (Circular)
    Tai Chi (internal, mental)

This are considered like sister arts so they work well together and compliment one another. I'd avoid
    karake or tae kwon do....but that's just me.

12. MartySchemeR

MartySchemeR Member

Martial arts is cool and all and its a good work out but it cant stop a bullet...;)

13. Jackson

Jackson Veteran Member

HAHA!

14. SilentBob

SilentBob Member

I think I've said something similar in regards to body building. To be honest I'm probably not your best source of info. I havn't stuck with a martial art over 3 months and I havn't fought anyone for what feels like aggggggeesss ( I think the last time I hit anyone was roughly 6 months ago.. though I'm not sure that one counts)....

But it seems to me all the good fighters I know are just aggressive people. They are good at fighting because they do alot of it. Conversly I know a few people who have spent years training at martial arts and while could probably kick my arse certainly would not beat anyone who has had alot of real life experience. And for that matter probably would have it in them to beat me down even though technically I'm sure they are able....

I'm not suggesting you go and pick alot of fights with people (though if you do decide to do that, make sure you post pics) . All I'm saying is if you do a martial art, its probably not worth your while if you are doing it soley so you can fuck people up if you have to. The chances a fair few people will still be able to put it over you.

If it helps one of the dudes I have particularly in my mind does muay thai and has been for years. He wouldn't beat a dish rag in a street fight (he's also a very gentle dude.. mabye your more ghetto fab .. who knows )

15. alure

alure Dirty Dozen Crew

how much do martial art classes usually run? San shou sounds interesting...