Martial Arts

aymet one

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest deadlydnut

ive studdied kick boxing, and tai for about a year now, and been in a few tournys, but let me tell you all something it helps a lot out on the streets..

Guest Catch22

I studied Aikido for 2 semesters in college. Best class I took. It was good shit, never pursued it though.

step back, yellow belt coming through........

i took tae-kwan-do for about 6 months. it was great, but i had to quit b/c of school, work and it was expensive. i would like to continue studying this or another form soon. whats that new form, based on street fighting?

i took taekwando (or however you spell it) for about a year. it sucked ass. nothing i learned was useful in a fight, but that's probably because it was at the YMCA and i was in the 4th grade.

mad props to martial arts. one day if i get a steady job i'll definitely take somethng, because i'm a big pussy.

Guest platapie

jiu jitsu is the best. or off shoots of it. but i guess for hand speed aikido or somthign liek boxing woudl be good. but everythign ends up in the hand to hand combat and if you know judo or jiujitsu, yo uwill win.

<--------jiujitsu

I took Karate for awhile..then stopped when I realized it did nothing for me becuase the Teachers were horrible from what I saw. As for martial arts, I'm looking to take these three at some point, in no particular order.

Judo,

Jiu-jitsu

Akido

I don't remember any karate, but I have learned basic stuff from scrapping with my cousin whos won a few tournaments in tae kwon do. I have a decent mixture of street fighting and grappling(Various chokes and holds I can put on from a few different angles..). Speaking of which, I like grappling, anyone suggest a martial art thats good for learing how to grapple?

Guest BROWNer

one of these days i'm gonna take akido...

i've heard nothing but dope shit about it..

nice and relaxing, super deadly effectiveness,

not some fluffy karate ass shit that don't work

in a real deal. i hear akido isn't allowed in

martial arts competitions???

too deadly..?

Guest deadlydnut
Originally posted by BROWNer

one of these days i'm gonna take akido...

i've heard nothing but dope shit about it..

nice and relaxing, super deadly effectiveness,

not some fluffy karate ass shit that don't work

in a real deal. i hear akido isn't allowed in

martial arts competitions???

too deadly..?

:lol:

Guest Dr. Doom

You're fucking crazy!!

Originally posted by Zack Morris

i took taekwondoe for about 10 years and it was mostly just a waste of time.

What??????? I have a first degree black belt in Tae Kwon Doe and it was far from a waste of my time!! Best thing I could have ever done for self discipline and respect!! I've also cross trained with some Hapkido and Aikido self defense techniques along with it!!' A fair amount of grappling and judo holds/throws to boot!

I spent two years training with one of the original founders of Kukkiwon in Korea............another two with a 7th degree instructor and another 5 with a 4th degree who was 10 times sharper, crisper, stronger than the other two in discipline and teaching principles!! Not a moment of my time could be considered "wasted"................

I plan on doing some training in Tai Kick Boxing............for the exercise and stamina and indefinite training in Hapkido...................

Aggressive Tae Kwon Doe instructing also............. :king:

Guest Dr. Doom

Can I get some plyers??

Originally posted by the A squad

ok tae kwon do is useless. i feel sorry for those who spent a lot of money on it. most martial wont give u good fighting techniques but just quicken ur reflexes and make u stronger. the only ones u could use in a fight woul be kung fu, judo, and the best one thatll actually help u in life is jeet kune do. <====expecially good if uve seen what bruce lee can do

To open this guys eyes up!!

If you have a half decent instructor then the story is way different! Sounds like you might have trained with shitty instructors if you've trained at all!! Jeet Kune Do?? Bruce Lee is a fucking legendary moviestar!! Not an elected martial arts posterboy!!! He became famous due to Hollywood! He's just an elder version of Jackie Chan for Christ's sake! Bruce Lee was unbelievable; yes; but JEET KUNE DO being the only effective martial art in hand to hand combat; no!!

You're way off!!

jiu-jitsu is what you want to know if it ends up on the ground.

muy-thai for straight up standup.

boxing to a lesser extent but a muy-thai dude would just kick the fuck out of you before you get close enough. if you do manage to get in close hed fuck you up with elbows.

although knowing only 1 of these is not going to win every fight, all the top NHB/MMA fighters major in one technique and familarize themselves with another to cover weaknesses.

those 3 above are pure combat martial arts. everything else pretty much useless.

however coming from a chinese background i do favor kungfu, its a cultural thing.

Guest willy.wonka

<-----escrima warrior

dont ever try to fight me when i have a newspaper or oahu gold book in my hands...especially two sticks..

i would like to get into more akido or more of the ground fighting...

honestly i upset no one has mentioned keet kune do

the formless form

but on a related not ewould you be able to sum up aikido for me?

i have a "the spirit of aikido" book by kisshomaru ueshiba. never got around to reading it and id appreceate a synopsis of what the forms about so i have motivation to read it. is aikido the same form as the art of bone breaking? i know it has a lot to do with balance and center of gravity.

ive seen that old tiny founder of aikido work on some dude who attacking him with a sword while all he used was a folding fan.

Archived