marketing has us by the balls

fatbastard

marketing tools are so powerful, the way things are marketed these days makes them seem completely different to us. let me give you an example...

mouth wash, theres walmarts "equate brand" and theres "listerine" read the ingredients on the back of the container...THE FUCKING INGREDIENTS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME DOWN TO A SINGLE HAIR!!!

so why the hell is equate $1.99 and listerine $7.00 smae size, same thing??

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

The most amazing, and fucked up thing i've ever heard is that at somepoint a toothpaste company called a marketting/sales/advertiser super Guru on the field dude and presented him the problem.

They told him that they wanted to sell more and he should come up with a solution. After thought, dude proposed to the company to chnage the package of the product and make a slightly bigger hole on the tube.

In that way, when the old tube would last for brushing your teeth 50 times, the new one would last 40 cause more product would wasted when everyone thought they were using the same....and all that without anyone noticing any difference..that was fuckin satanic as a thought.

PS. have you ever tested how much toothpaste you need to brush your teeth? about 1/10th of what we all use cause after being brainwashed by the adds we cover the whole hairy part of the toothbrush end to end...:idea:

Marketing is crazy. I have taken a few courses in commercial design and it was interesting to learn just how on lock they try to make things from color of packaging, red and yellow are impulse colors that make you want to buy things. Shells logo, McDonalds logo, Burger King, and next time you are out look at the packaging that kids toys come in. I bet you there is red and yellow splashed all over it. Aside from the color the way that billboards are set up is geared at a person for a few seconds and has to make the biggest impact in that small time. The average billboard has a 7 word slogan on it. It's very rarely more than 7 words. That way while you are cruising along you can see an entertaining picture and then assimilate rather quickly an even more entertaining phrase. And it will stick with you.

You should start painting in red and yellow.

I do alot of color theory in my work. I work in web development and do all kinds of ads for different things.

Here are my best uses of color:

I changed most of the price listings on the company sites to Orange, because Orange is a generous color, it can make an expensive price seem "not so bad." Next time you go somewhere and a price grabs your attention, see if its Orange.

Also about the red in restaurants, Red is an appetite stimulant. It promotes hunger and encourages eating. Thats why alot of restaurants use red.

Opposite of that, you dont find alot of restaurants painted Blue because blue is an appetite depressant. It goes way back to caveman days because nothing in Nature that is edible is Blue. Not alot of people want to eat anything that's blue. It usually signifies mold and such.

I have to design ads that only have 3 or 4 words to try to make you buy something and the Marketing Director here can pull these out of his ass like nothing. Makes me think I need some of the crap thats out there.

everything is like this these days. companies want to trump eachother in sales and popularity, and they will stop at nothing to do so. cost cutting, false advertising, sheisty product claims. They even go into psychology and science like you guys were talking about with the colors and visual stimulation.

Marketing toothpaste is now like marketing rap cds. In both they use larger than life packaging and grandiose claims just to get you to by them. its been happening forever, i dont know why its such a big deal to discover this stuff now. get used to it, why would they want to stop anytime soon?

T-T-T-T-T-TTTOOTHPASTE UNITTT!!

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

I wish they still had that TV show Fight Back.

http://www.fightback.com/

I know youre only supposed to use a pea sized

amount of toothpaste, thats all you need.

Plus, ever wonder whats in shaving gel...soap.

I use Dove to wash my body, and lather my face.

Leaves my face smoother than shave gel.

Shave gel, is just soap...in a gel or foam form.

check out these 2 books...I Color Harmony 1.

http://www.letterhead.com/bookshop/images/colorharm.gif'>

The same goes for gas. I was watching the news a while

back. They were saying no name gas is just as good

as Chevron, 76, Shell..etc. People just buy into things

like that. They think big names are names you can trust.

Store brand/generic are just as good sometimes.

It just depends on what it is.

its all about the benjamins

these motherfuckers trip over each other to make a buck off of you and me in every single way they fucking know how. feel like reading? check out Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser. that shit is terrifying. the book is being taught in english classes at my school because people feel it's that important. he also has a new book out, i can't remember the name, but it's about the marijuana black market in north america. i've been meaning to pick it up for a while. finding out things about corporations is always creepy - like when i found out a cigarette manufacturer owns kraft cheese. what the fuck?

i kinda feel like a grilled marlboro sandwich right about now...

it hits even closer to home...

yeah were you aware that krylon and rustoleom also make about 8 different brand name spray paints? only difference is price, color, and aerosol pressure. fuck i waste alot of money.

on the paint tip...

guess who has the contract to make home depot, osh, and other home improvement companies' paint? according to the manager guy i talked to at the paint counter at osh, it's rusto and krylon. they just use lower quality dyes with a higher ratio of thinner and aerosol to paint per can. wool over the eyes of even us degenerates.

Re: it hits even closer to home...

Originally posted by ToYs

yeah were you aware that krylon and rustoleom also make about 8 different brand name spray paints? only difference is price, color, and aerosol pressure. fuck i waste alot of money.

who doesn't know that painter's touch is quality paint? and AA has the most delicious colors ever.

as for the other krylon brands, i've never tried them but.. they don't sound too great...

a gynecologist in chicago had too many clients, so he couldnt handle them.. what he did was literally double the costs of his services thinking that if he lost even 50% of his patients he would still make the same ammount of money.

what infact happened over the next few months was that his patients nearly tripled (people were under the mentality that if he was that expensive they would be getting high quality service.....idiots.

The above post is true.

Where I work I'm in charge of orders and pricing.

Due to a shortage in a certain product, I was forced to raise the price almost 25%.

Guess what happened?

We sold almost 50% more.

Its that special place in the supply and demand curve that I like to call the "sweet spot"