MAN ON FIRE (Careful, Some Spoilers)

Gunm

Wow, best Denzel Movie since Training Day. As you will no doubt read by S@T@N, this movie was SERIOUSLY underrated.

Great acting all around, awesome locale to flick the movie (Messico City), expert job on lighting in every scene and a smoothly paced plot that kept my interest. It was good they didn't leap right into the violence but when said violence came around.....

.....holey moley the violence was graphic. Finger cutting, shotgun to hand/feet, pregnant woman at gunpoint, plastic explosive up some dudes ass, gratuitous use of rocket launchers and grenades with predictable results, women being shot at, gunshots to head/chest, bodies face up in just about every standing body of water, Denzel taking mad bullet hits like a champ and still up and slaying. Pistol whippings, ears getting cut off, kill!!!!!

Fuck, not since City of God have I winced at on-screen violence and then this movie came along.:eek:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by crave

funny that i caught this flick just lastnight. i really enjoyed it as well. in addition to the comments above, what i liked best was the 8mm sort of look the film took at certain points. i felt that that added to the movie as a whole. two thumbs up and 4 stars.

I was feeling the way the little subtitles would show up at random places on the screen when there was espanol dialouge. The way the time ticking down during that one scene under the freeway overpass was ill too.

It reminded me a lot of a David Fincher film.

Crave...yeah, i was definately feeling the 8 mm look

The sub titles were incredibly annoying.

Ok, I don't understand spanish so they needed to be there when they're speaking spanish. But not when he's speaking english.

It's a cop out. If the only way you can get across a certain emotion is by flashing "ANGER" on the screen, then you're a shitty director.

The text is suppose to stop after the title sequence.

The emotion was all there and "anger" was flashed to really ram it home to the viewer. I would hardly consider it a cop-out

Text was put on the screen to really amplify the intent, meaning or significance behind certain dialouge.

I know a lot of people hate reading but deal with it and don't dismiss it as laziness on the directors part

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I thought it was pretty good, but WAAAAAAYYY overdone/overedited... and this is coming from someone that LOVES that kind of shit. It's like every 15 minutes or so they had to bust out a montage of blurry and vertiginous shots (aka: 8 mm shots) with "cutting edge" music. It was cool the first 2 times, annoying the other 34.

The strength of the movie was the whole buildup with Denzel bonding with the girl; very well acted and very well done... yet it STILL wasn't enough for me to actually believe he wanted to exact revenge the way he did. Oh, and the night club scene was preposterous.

Other than that, good stuff. 7/10

PS: I never saw the subtitle things cause every single english-language movie down here comes with spanish subtitles at the bottom (fucking sucks)... and when they speak spanish there's no subtitles at all.

Originally posted by LENS

I was feeling the way the little subtitles would show up at random places on the screen when there was espanol dialouge. The way the time ticking down during that one scene under the freeway overpass was ill too.

It reminded me a lot of a David Fincher film.

Crave...yeah, i was definately feeling the 8 mm look

in total agreement with both of you guys, true-ZONE

Just finished watching this, I liked it. It was definitly overdone at parts, too much "cool"-editing and the score became pretty intrusive at times, but otherwise a good film, and it made me feel good to watch the kidnappers get it handed to them.

The end of the film has some text that hints at this being based on a true story. Is this the case, or just a Hollywood tack-on?

Edit: Just grabbed this author interview from the IMDB boards:

Q. Is Creasy based on a real character?

A. Creasy was based on a mixture of characters that I knew in the sixties and seventies in Africa and Vietnam.

Q. Some people have commented that the movie seemed to imply that it was based on a real event, is that impression correct?

A. Yes, the story was based on an actual event in Italy in '75.

Q. Have you considered writing a prequel to Man on Fire - Creasy's early years perhaps?

A. Yes, I will be writing a prequel to 'Man on Fire' It will involve Creasy in Korea and the Vietnam war with the French when he was a young man. Right now I'm working on a film treatment which is another Creasy story.

EDIT x2: ALSO THE EXTRAS ON THIS DVD FUCKING SUCK. THANK YOU.

Originally posted by BIGMETALCIRCUS

i thought it was long and boring. if it was shorter and not as drawn out, it would have been wayyyyyyyyyy better.

this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay true. haha.

it was a great movie, good plot, and the violence was dope.

but it took way to long in the beginning to get the story out and the action popping.

if it would have been about 30-45 mins shorter or so it would have been a classic.

/i said so.

• 3 weeks later...

i finally saw this movie and i loved it;

although now that i think about it, some of the "cutting edge" music

el mam mentioned earlier got kind of tired. the 8mm style-shots really

gave the film it's moods - awesome.

i like how they used actors from city of god and nicotina as well.

better than training day IMO...

i :heartbeat: denzel. now that's a good-looking man.