Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

MAN ON FIRE (Careful, Some Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Gunm, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Gunm

Gunm Banned

Wow, best Denzel Movie since Training Day. As you will no doubt read by [email protected]@N, this movie was SERIOUSLY underrated.

Great acting all around, awesome locale to flick the movie (Messico City), expert job on lighting in every scene and a smoothly paced plot that kept my interest. It was good they didn't leap right into the violence but when said violence came around.....

.....holey moley the violence was graphic. Finger cutting, shotgun to hand/feet, pregnant woman at gunpoint, plastic explosive up some dudes ass, gratuitous use of rocket launchers and grenades with predictable results, women being shot at, gunshots to head/chest, bodies face up in just about every standing body of water, Denzel taking mad bullet hits like a champ and still up and slaying. Pistol whippings, ears getting cut off, kill!!!!!

Fuck, not since City of God have I winced at on-screen violence and then this movie came along.:eek:

2. STYLEISKING

STYLEISKING Dirty Dozen Crew

tight flick!
    liked the edit on the whole movie!

[​IMG]

3. crave

crave Veteran Member

funny that i caught this flick just lastnight. i really enjoyed it as well. in addition to the comments above, what i liked best was the 8mm sort of look the film took at certain points. i felt that that added to the movie as a whole. two thumbs up and 4 stars.

4. Gunm

Gunm Banned

I was feeling the way the little subtitles would show up at random places on the screen when there was espanol dialouge. The way the time ticking down during that one scene under the freeway overpass was ill too.

It reminded me a lot of a David Fincher film.

Crave...yeah, i was definately feeling the 8 mm look

5. ClueTwo

ClueTwo Veteran Member

DAMNIT..My copy was due back to thge video store yesterday.SONOFABITCH..Thanks for the reminder though..

Damn good movie too..

6. WISE

WISE Member

The sub titles were incredibly annoying.
    Ok, I don't understand spanish so they needed to be there when they're speaking spanish. But not when he's speaking english.
    It's a cop out. If the only way you can get across a certain emotion is by flashing "ANGER" on the screen, then you're a shitty director.

The text is suppose to stop after the title sequence.

7. Gunm

Gunm Banned

The emotion was all there and "anger" was flashed to really ram it home to the viewer. I would hardly consider it a cop-out

Text was put on the screen to really amplify the intent, meaning or significance behind certain dialouge.

I know a lot of people hate reading but deal with it and don't dismiss it as laziness on the directors part

8. FIST2CUFFS

FIST2CUFFS Member

this movie is really underrated, i can't wait till i get this in on netflix

9. S@T@N

[email protected]@N Senior Member

OMG JESUS I HAD TO READ WTF OMG. DIRECTOR = DICK

Hahahaha Lens is the man. This movie was great, I saw it in theaters
    when it came out. Definitely a thumbs up.

10. THEMISHE

THEMISHE New Jack

I watched it last night. Movie was hot! I watched the entire way through...it got my attention real good.

The best parts are when he questions all the people involved...he says some funny shit..

11. I thought it was pretty good, but WAAAAAAYYY overdone/overedited... and this is coming from someone that LOVES that kind of shit. It's like every 15 minutes or so they had to bust out a montage of blurry and vertiginous shots (aka: 8 mm shots) with "cutting edge" music. It was cool the first 2 times, annoying the other 34.

The strength of the movie was the whole buildup with Denzel bonding with the girl; very well acted and very well done... yet it STILL wasn't enough for me to actually believe he wanted to exact revenge the way he did. Oh, and the night club scene was preposterous.

Other than that, good stuff. 7/10

PS: I never saw the subtitle things cause every single english-language movie down here comes with spanish subtitles at the bottom (fucking sucks)... and when they speak spanish there's no subtitles at all.

12. Fondles

Fondles Veteran Member

never heard of this movie

13. ZONE

ZONE New Jack

in total agreement with both of you guys, true-ZONE

14. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

15. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

Just finished watching this, I liked it. It was definitly overdone at parts, too much "cool"-editing and the score became pretty intrusive at times, but otherwise a good film, and it made me feel good to watch the kidnappers get it handed to them.

The end of the film has some text that hints at this being based on a true story. Is this the case, or just a Hollywood tack-on?

Edit: Just grabbed this author interview from the IMDB boards:

Q. Is Creasy based on a real character?

A. Creasy was based on a mixture of characters that I knew in the sixties and seventies in Africa and Vietnam.

Q. Some people have commented that the movie seemed to imply that it was based on a real event, is that impression correct?

A. Yes, the story was based on an actual event in Italy in '75.

Q. Have you considered writing a prequel to Man on Fire - Creasy's early years perhaps?

A. Yes, I will be writing a prequel to 'Man on Fire' It will involve Creasy in Korea and the Vietnam war with the French when he was a young man. Right now I'm working on a film treatment which is another Creasy story.

EDIT x2: ALSO THE EXTRAS ON THIS DVD FUCKING SUCK. THANK YOU.