Man gets prison for trying to steal LIRR locomotiv

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/breaking_...1p-254450c.html

Man gets prison for trying to steal LIRR locomotive

ASSOCIATED PRESS

A man whose obsession with trains has been his one-way ticket to jail was sentenced on Wednesday to up to three years in prison for trying to steal a Long Island Railroad locomotive.

Darius McCollum, 39, had pleaded guilty in February to attempted grand larceny. The charge stemmed from his 20th arrest for illegally posing as a subway motorman and other transit workers.

Donning an orange reflector vest and hard hat, McCollum went into a LIRR yard in Queens last year, posed as a safety consultant and asked representatives of a locomotive company how to operate a new type of engine that had just been delivered, prosecutors said.

McCollum left the train yard when his identity was questioned. He later was found with stolen keys, including one for the new locomotive, prosecutors said.

Supporters of McCollum have claimed his obsession stems from Asperger's syndrome, a social disorder similar to autism. He first made headlines at age 15 when he commandeered an E train to the World Trade Center from Herald Square.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by the girl drink drunk@Apr 7 2005, 01:32 PM

He first made headlines at age 15 when he commandeered an E train to the World Trade Center from Herald Square.

...dude is my hero...when i first saw this on the AP bulletin I was sure this guy is a visitor to this board...i bet the guy has a whole basement full of 'top secret' plans written out in crayon in spiral notebooks...he'll be scheming till he dies...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...